Rolling Stones Thread

icantquityoubabe

I recently bought the Amazon exclusive of The Brussels Affair. The CDs were just thrown in the LP cover with no special holder. I caught them just in time before they went on the floor.

Also, it is my understanding that this was recorded from two shows. This would explain why some of the songs are not the same performances that we have been listening to on our old bootlegs that were from the King Biscuit Flower Hour. For example on my bootleg,... Mick introduces (Heartbreaker) by saying “this one’s called Doo, Doo, Doo, Doo, Doo" while Keith has already started the intro……meanwhile on the legit (non-bootleg) version, Mick introduces it before the band starts playing. And “Angie” is also different because where Mick sings “Let me whisper in your ear Angie, Angie where will it lead us from here” he sings “where will it lead us from here” in a different language. Also, I’d say Taylor’s guitar solo isn’t quite as good on the legit version of "Angie". So hang on to your boots!

Edited by Gospel Zone

I recently bought the Amazon exclusive of The Brussels Affair. The CDs were just thrown in the LP cover with no special holder. I caught them just in time before they went on the floor.

Also, it is my understanding that this was recorded from two shows. This would explain why some of the songs are not the same performances that we have been listening to on our old bootlegs that were from the King Biscuit Flower Hour. For example on my bootleg,... Mick introduces (Heartbreaker) by saying this ones called Doo, Doo, Doo, Doo, Doo" while Keith has already started the intromeanwhile on the legit (non-bootleg) version, Mick introduces it before the band starts playing. And Angie is also different because where Mick sings Let me whisper in your ear Angie, Angie where will it lead us from here he sings where will it lead us from here in a different language. Also, Id say Taylors guitar solo isnt quite as good on the legit version of "Angie". So hang on to your boots!

This is all old news and the provenance of the tracks have been clearly stated by the Stones themselves, so it's not like they are trying to deceive you into thinking it's from one show.

First things first...the Stones played both an afternoon and evening concert in Brussels on October 17, 1973.

The legit "Brussels Affair" release is mostly the evening show with a few songs from the early show. The King Biscuit Flower Hour broadcast (and bootleg) was the early show, with "Starfucker" cut out because of language.

In addition, most "Brussels" bootlegs ("Nasty Music" and other titles) also had songs from September 9, 1973 Wembley Empire Pool and even 1972 MSG, NY thrown in to cover the missing songs. So none of the classic Brussels bootlegs ever featured all Brussels performances...and certainly not in the great sound you get with the official "Brussels Affair" release.

I didn’t say anyone tried to deceive anyone. I just stated that it was different performances…..buyer beware. My guess is The Stones and those involved with their reissues don’t always know what exactly was issued in the past. That’s a guess.

Until the From The Vault releases over the past year and the recent Sticky Fingers deluxe and Super Deluxe sets, the Stones reissues have had disappointing moments. When I heard the extra tracks from the Exile On Main Street and Some Girls Deluxe sets I dreaded the coming of a Sticky Fingers Deluxe set, but maybe the Stones learned something from those two earlier sets as the Sticky Fingers set has been as joy.

As for old news, we are talking about the Stones. I don’t think we would be doing that so much without their past.

As for the art of deception I just bought that Rolling Stone Magazine special on Keith. In it Buddy Guy talks about Keith giving him his Gibson. I may be mistaken but I think that guitar in Shine A Light was a similar guitar with the intent of fooling us into thinking it was Keith’s Gibson.

Edited by Gospel Zone

• 2 weeks later...

This is all old news and the provenance of the tracks have been clearly stated by the Stones themselves, so it's not like they are trying to deceive you into thinking it's from one show.

First things first...the Stones played both an afternoon and evening concert in Brussels on October 17, 1973.

The legit "Brussels Affair" release is mostly the evening show with a few songs from the early show. The King Biscuit Flower Hour broadcast (and bootleg) was the early show, with "Starfucker" cut out because of language.

In addition, most "Brussels" bootlegs ("Nasty Music" and other titles) also had songs from September 9, 1973 Wembley Empire Pool and even 1972 MSG, NY thrown in to cover the missing songs. So none of the classic Brussels bootlegs ever featured all Brussels performances...and certainly not in the great sound you get with the official "Brussels Affair" release.

I want to say the only afternoon tracks are "Brown Sugar" and "Midnight Rambler"- everything else on the official Brussels Affair is from the evening show- the complete opposite of what we've had on the boots all these years. So personally I can only look at the official Brussels as a companion piece...the old Brussels Affair bootleg LP, well, you can't improve on perfection. That's one of the greatest fuckin' live albums I've ever heard, and probably the Stones' best.

I haven't heard all the Stones' archive releases but I did think Hampton '81, Fort Worth '78 and the '75 LA Friday (actually a Sunday) in some ways were an improvement on the bootleg recordings...Brussels, not so much.

I want to say the only afternoon tracks are "Brown Sugar" and "Midnight Rambler"- everything else on the official Brussels Affair is from the evening show- the complete opposite of what we've had on the boots all these years. So personally I can only look at the official Brussels as a companion piece...the old Brussels Affair bootleg LP, well, you can't improve on perfection. That's one of the greatest fuckin' live albums I've ever heard, and probably the Stones' best.

I haven't heard all the Stones' archive releases but I did think Hampton '81, Fort Worth '78 and the '75 LA Friday (actually a Sunday) in some ways were an improvement on the bootleg recordings...Brussels, not so much.

When comparing the legit Brussels Affair with the bootleg, the biggest disappointment is "Angie" because I always thought the version that was on the boot was the ultimate live version of the song. I remember reading, when Love You Live came out, Mick Jagger saying that he actually considered putting a version with Mick Taylor on from '73 on the album. I always wondered if that was the version.

What I like about the '75 From The Vault is that the DVD and CD are two different shows so we get two in one and the Cd is the same concert I had on bootleg, but much better quality. The boot sounded like the guy recording it went to the bathroom during "Midnight Rambler" because the sound fades away and then comes back.

If you haven't, pick up the Sticky Fingers Super Deluxe and the Marquee Club '71 From The Vault. Bob Clearmountains sound mix is great and you finally get "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and "Live With Me" on Get Yer Leeds Lungs Out. Clearmountaiin is so good, I wish they would have had him mix the original albums for the Sticky Fingers, Exile On Main Street, Some Girls, and even Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out Deluxe sets. They could include the original mixes but he's so good I wouldn't complain too much if they just used his.

Edited by Gospel Zone

• 1 month later...

Keith Richards Trash-Talks Led Zeppelin, The Who in New Interview

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/news/keith-richards-trash-talks-led-zeppelin-interview-202523488.html

:hunter:

Well, at least he's right about the Who. :)

You can't trash rap enough, but Keith seems to be getting too close to it as when I was listening to Crosseyed Heart I started think about rap because Keith seemed too close to talking instead of singing.

Edited by Gospel Zone
left out a word

You can't trash rap enough, but Keith seems to be getting too close to it as when I was listening to Crosseyed Heart I started think about rap because Keith seemed too close to talking instead of singing.

Huh, didn't see that part. Pretty dumb to dismiss an entire genre, one that he probably knows little about. I wonder if he's ever listened to ATLiens, Aquemini, Soul Food...

There is good and bad rap, just like there's good and bad rock, classical, jazz, blues, pop, etc, etc...

Huh, didn't see that part. Pretty dumb to dismiss an entire genre, one that he probably knows little about. I wonder if he's ever listened to ATLiens, Aquemini, Soul Food...

There is good and bad rap, just like there's good and bad rock, classical, jazz, blues, pop, etc, etc...

I probably hate rap as much as Keith, if not more, and so when making music I don't want to go anywhere near it. And if I hear something that reminds me of rap, it probably got to close to it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

^^ See my post from Oct 13th....Did anyone watch the new HBO series Vinyl last night? It was the first one so it was two hours and it had Led Zeppelin all in the show!!!! I almost fell out!!.

They had Peter Grant (the guy who played him was much to small), but he did have a strong personality. Then they had Robert backstage (character was similar but not near as breathtaking as Robert). It was when Zeppelin played MSG in 73. When the credits ran at the end thay had who played Bonham, JPJ, Jimmy and Robert...along with Peter Grant.

I worked yesterday but they all knew I was not going to miss that show. I think it will be a great series. I felt like I was back in 1973:-) Looking forward to the next show:-)

Sorry I cannot post any links as I am on a computer that is in the business center and it will not let me post:-(

• 2 weeks later...

The Stones are my all time favorite band, but in regards to the integrity of their later years, I have an idea for a cartoon much like the cartoons you see in the paper about politicians.  Mick and Keith would be sitting around a camp fire like Billy and Wyatt at the end of the movie Easy Rider.....

Keith says; "We did it man, we're rich."

Mick  says; "You know, Keith. We blew it."

Keith says; "What do you mean?"

Mick says: "We had it and we blew it."

Edited by Gospel Zone
made mistake

12 hours ago, Gospel Zone said:

The Stones are my all time favorite band, but in regards to the integrity of their later years, I have an idea for a cartoon much like the cartoons you see in the paper about politicians.  Mick and Keith would be sitting around a camp fire like Billy and Wyatt at the end of the movie Easy Rider.....

Keith says; "We did it man, we're rich."

Mick  says; "You know, Keith. We blew it."

Keith says; "What do you mean?"

Mick says: "We had it and we blew it."

I love it, but I think it'd more accurate if you switched the dialogue around. And you could just as easily date the discussion to, oh, I dunno, 1973, maybe? :lol:

• 3 weeks later...