Rolling Stones Thread

icantquityoubabe

My opinion is that Elvis as a recording artist is undeniable, he influenced the hell out of every blues based british invasion band.

Elvis as a person? Well, that's where the joke comes in.

So I don't get flamed for being off topic,  :rolleyes: the Stones are undeniable as well, I just happen to not vibe with their music.

So having a different opinion validates your loving remark of not knowing what you are talking about? Count me in then, because I despise Elvis and what he represents.

What, exactly does he represent?

To me, he represents a huge chunk of the beginning of rock n' roll. I also have no problem whatsoever in seeing how he was such a big influence on all that followed (Stones, Beatles, Zep, etc.) There's some artists who's music I don't necessarily care for but at least they have my respect. In the case of Elvis, I'm seeing a lot of hatred aimed at him in this thread but for what good reason?

As for his movies, I think quite a few of them are good, clean fun.

Was actually comparing them (Aerosmith) and saying they were not in the same league as Zepp and the Beatles and Stones. So actually I wasnt that far off the topic. Some one else tried to say they were the second best band of all time next to Zeppelin. I think that even you Jahfin would argue with that?

I think everyone's opinion is just that, one is no more valid than the other. It's not etched in stone that one certain artist is the best in the world, it all comes down to personal preference. My favorite of all time is the Beatles but that doesn't mean I think everyone else should feel the exact same way.

And I dont care if Keith Richards and Robert Plant love Elvis. He certainly has his fans, but IM not one of them and never will be.

Fair enough, my main point being that like him or not, Elvis' impact can't be denied. Like I've said, I'm a fan of the early Elvis (and early rock n' roll in general). The bloated, latter day Elvis, not so much.

Besides Viva Las Vegas with the bouncy Ann-Margret, Elvis is second only to Mariah Carey why vocal artists should stay just that!

Granted, I haven`t seen every Elvis film but I have endured the first half-hour of enough of his waste of celluloid to know that Elvis ain`t James Dean.

Still CHEESE I say!

Exactly my point, the majority of his movies are so bad they're good. I didn't use to watch The Dukes of Hazzard on Friday nights just for the acting ability (same for The A Team, The Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman, etc.).

Ok Jahfin, I know Elvis had a big impact. I just dont like his music. I love the Beatles though and they are the only band that I couldnt argue against if someone told me they were as good as Led Zepp because of several factors: they survived the test of time even after they had stopped playing, they have the numbers in record sales to back it up and perhaps more important than anything else, they were able to touch all age groups. Even the older generation of yesteryear that wouldnt listen to the heavier music like Led Zepp. That said, Led Zeppelin are the best musicians in my opinion of all time. Period. And Elvis cant play the guitar. He was an entertainer and singer. But lets face it, there are many out there that sold records based on sex appeal and good looks rather than musical talent. It happens all the time. Look at the crap on TV now. As long as you can shake your booty and look good doing it you can sell records. Very sad.

Actually, Elvis could play the guitar. He may not have been a virtuoso but that doesn't matter. His guitar playing ability didn't take away from his overall talent at all, and he was oozing with it. He wasn't signed to Sun Records because he was untalented. Same for Cash, Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis, etc.

Jagger wows Indian crowds

05/11/2007 - 19:13:57

Mick Jagger gave a surprise performance at a folk festival in India, insisting he is a huge fan of the nation's music.

The Rolling Stones rocker travelled to Jodhpur to perform at the inaugural Rajasthan International Folk Festival, which was held from October 25 to 29.

And the singer revealed a secret passion for Indian music.

He says: "I wouldn't say I'm an expert, but I'm definitely an enthusiast for Indian music.

"I've listened to Bengali, Gujarati and Rajasthani folk music, and a festival like this gives a great platform to folk artists in a magnificent venue."

Jagger confirmed the band plan to announce tour dates in Asia next year (08), despite just returning from a world tour.

mickjagger.com

How unKeith-like..

"In the one-hour exclusive, SIRIUS subscribers will experience a rare trip into the mind of Keith Richards as he shares stories on a variety of topics including his three day road trip with John Lennon through England, his first encounter with Muddy Waters at Chess studios, his infamous meeting with Peter Tosh, meeting Chuck Berry, and the life-changing experience of hearing Elvis Presley for the first time on Radio Luxembourg."

You're not a joke, but you don't know what you're talking about.

Who the fuck died and made me Keith Richards?

I'm fully aware of what I'm talking about.If Keith had any influence;it's Chuck Berry.

My feelings about Elvis are well established,so I won't go into them here.

I'm a fleabit peanut monkey

All my friends are junkies

That's not really true

I'm a cold Italian pizza

I could use a lemon squeezer

What you do?

But I've been bit and I've been tossed around

By every she-rat in this town

Have you, babe?

Well, I am just a monkey man

I'm glad you are a monkey woman too

I was bitten by a boar

I was gouged and I was gored

But I pulled on through

Yes, I'm a sack of broken eggs

I always have an unmade bed

Don't you?

Well, I hope we're not too messianic

Or a trifle too satanic

We love to play the blues

Well I am just a monkey man

I'm glad you are a monkey, monkey woman

Monkey woman too, babe!

I'm a monkey! I'm a monkey!

I'm a monkey man! I'm a monkey man!

I'm a monkey! I'm a monkey! I'm a monkey! I'm a monkey!

Monkey! monkey! monkey!.......

What, exactly does he represent?

To me, he represents a huge chunk of the beginning of rock n' roll. I also have no problem whatsoever in seeing how he was such a big influence on all that followed (Stones, Beatles, Zep, etc.) There's some artists who's music I don't necessarily care for but at least they have my respect. In the case of Elvis, I'm seeing a lot of hatred aimed at him in this thread but for what good reason?

As for his movies, I think quite a few of them are good, clean fun.

The cleaning up of the heart of Rock-N-Roll....to make it more of a commodity to sell....

And yes, "Baby lets play house" influenced The Stones.....but I still don't have a taste for Elvis. No matter, its all subject to opinion.

The cleaning up of the heart of Rock-N-Roll....to make it more of a commodity to sell....

Can't say I ever got that out of the Elvis movies, it was more like a lot of bad acting with plenty of scantily clad girls for eye candy. I still get a kick out of 'em in the same way I do old surf movies, that's what I meant about "good clean, fun", not that the movies were somehow an attempt to clean up rock n' roll. We had Pat Boone for that.

And yes, "Baby lets play house" influenced The Stones.....but I still don't have a taste for Elvis. No matter, its all subject to opinion.

One doesn't have to have a taste for Elvis to appreciate his impact. Like I've said, there's been several influential artists over the years who's music I don't particularly care for but that doesn't mean I hate them.

I think the Rolling Stones are one of the greatest bands ever. My favorite album is the live album "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" from 1970 at MSG. Mick Taylor was with them instead of Ron Wood and I have always been in the camp that believes Taylor was the better guitarist. The greatest version ever of Sympathy For the Devil is in here and there are two great lead solo's in the song. Does anyone know which one Mick plays and assume Keith Richards plays the other.

Nobody answered this question. Keith plays the first lead then it's Taylor on the second. Taylors' best lead on 'Ya Ya's' has to be on "Love in Vain"... it's just gorgeous.

I know, Love in Vain is great! I always crank it up to 11 (hehe) when his solo comes on. I love Mick Taylor! My favorite guitarist no. 2 that the Stones had. Not that I don't like Brian or Ronnie, but Mick's up there with Clapton if you ask me. Think I'll go put on Love in Vain right now...

That album is unbelievable (Get Yer Ya Ya's Out). The lead in Sympathy For the Devil and Carol are my favorites. I saw them in 75 and sadly Taylor was already gone. Just imagine if they would have had him for all these years! I do love Some Girls though. Think that is Woodys best album. But I dont really know who is playing guitar on many of the songs. (Whether its Wood or Richards on cerain songs). Seems that Wood loves to play slide alot.

Yep, can't beat GYYYO...I love how you can hear the full effect of the guitar distortion on it. They already blew most other bands out of the water with just their studio stuff, but jeez, with the cranked-up madness on that album, nobody else comes close for rocking your pants off (except for Zeppelin, of course), not even modern bands that use twice as much overdrive. Distortion is no replacement for soul. Does anyone know what Keith & Mick's setups were for those shows? I love their sound...crunchy, yet warm. Oh - and one more thing: how does Keith get his guitar to go out of tune so fast? He's fine at the beginnings of songs, but by the middle, it's like, what happened there, man? Does he bang on the strings really hard when he's strumming? Was something wrong with his guitar? WTF?

Hey, that's cool that you saw them in '75, though...I've never seen them (was out of town last year). Yeah, Woody's not really my favorite guitarist. He's a good Stone - he's got the attitude and everything - but...ability-wise, he can't really go up against Mick Taylor. And I have to say I like Brian Jones better than Ronnie, too. I love all the quirky stuff he came up with, like the marimbas on Under My Thumb and the sitar for Paint It Black. And, you know, he was the original guy and all. Poor Woody...I do like him; he's a good choice for them (and Some Girls really is a great album!), but at least he's losing out to some awesome guys, so he shouldn't feel too bad.

Does anyone here besides me not like Beggars Banquet as much as everyone else seems to? I dunno, of course I like Street Fighting Man and Sympathy for the Devil, but other than a couple other songs like Stray Cat Blues, it just isn't all that high on my list. I always think it should be somewhat more like Exile, but it just never gets there...

Edited by Footsteps of Dawn

Great thread! "Let it Bleed" is one of my favorite records of all time, but somehow I've never replaced most of the lost vinyls... got to start!

Loved the article, MSG, especially this:

"A typical romantic, Strausbaugh is especially turned on by the beautifully doomed, and doesn't appreciate that Richards ended up an indomitable weed rather than a dead flower."

Richards is amazing, he always makes me smile. What fathomless cool. It's like he plays just the notes that need playing, sort of the opposite of Page reaching everywhere at once (though they both end up at the same exalted place).

Anyway, LOL at:

"he jokes, "I'm happy to be here. I'm happy to be anywhere." Or, "I just hope to wake up, and it's not a disaster." Granted, to make "disaster" your reference point is to set an exceedingly low bar, which probably helps explain the buoyant foolhardiness such men can continue to engage in. But the buoyancy's the thing."

:D

I went to a health care conference once where the guest speaker started out by saying: "Times have changed - this is your patient base now, and you're not going to be able to BS 'em - they probably know more about pharmaceuticals than you do" and she put up a picture like this one:

2131169290_d142db405b.jpg

Edited by SunChild

I think there needs to be some respect shown for one of their least celebrated titles....

Their_Satanic_Maj.RollingStones.jpg

This gets dissed repeatedly by fans who claim they left their rocknroll traditions at home. Well I for one like this greatly...I loved how, after sitting at the feet of Paul McCartney during the Sgt. Pepper sessions, Mick Jagger took this influence and did a Stones 'psychedelic' album.

2000 Light Years from home, Dandelion, We Love You, The Gompus !! I love 'em....Plus the original cover was that 3d type of thingy....Hail, Hail psychedelia !!!

So whadaya say naysayers ? Can you appreciate and show some respect ? :)

Great thread! "Let it Bleed" is one of my favorite records of all time, but somehow I've never replaced most of the lost vinyls... got to start!

Loved the article, MSG, especially this:

"A typical romantic, Strausbaugh is especially turned on by the beautifully doomed, and doesn't appreciate that Richards ended up an indomitable weed rather than a dead flower."

I thought you might. :D When I was young, I romanticized the "beautifully doomed" but, now that I am older, I miss their presence and the musical creations they might have brought us, had they lived. I think especially of Hendrix, Joplin, and Morrison.

I went to a health care conference once where the guest speaker started out by saying: "Times have changed - this is your patient base now, and you're not going to be able to BS 'em - they probably know more about pharmaceuticals than you do" and she put up a picture like this one:

:lol: Did the speaker also mention that there are few pharmaceuticals for which some boomers have not acquired a tolerance for? :lol:

I think there needs to be some respect shown for one of their least celebrated titles....

This gets dissed repeatedly by fans who claim they left their rocknroll traditions at home. Well I for one like this greatly...I loved how, after sitting at the feet of Paul McCartney during the Sgt. Pepper sessions, Mick Jagger took this influence and did a Stones 'psychedelic' album.

2000 Light Years from home, Dandelion, We Love You, The Gompus !! I love 'em....Plus the original cover was that 3d type of thingy....Hail, Hail psychedelia !!!

So whadaya say naysayers ? Can you appreciate and show some respect ? :)

I am not a naysayer. I still like that album - it reminds me of a very unique time. Absolutely perfect for era. My favorite from it, I think, is "2000 Light Years from Home." Plastic 3D cover! Not quite as cool as the zipper on "Sticky Fingers." My husband loves the Stones "psychedelic album" and still listens to it. Then again, he has always been heavily into psychedelic music. He can get lost in something like "Astronomie Dominie".

The Stones' output from 68-72 is perhaps the greatest 5 year stretch from any band in rock and roll history. Beggars Banquet/Let It Bleed/Sticky Fingers/Exile On Main Street is an unbelievable quartet of albums. Throw in Get Yer Ya Ya's Out, and that's a 5-album set that's hard to beat. It was clearly their creative apex, and they've clearly remained relevant for 35 more years since then, but they haven't (hell, NO ONE has) approached that again.

Now that I'm thinking of it, I might start a poll of the best 5 year output between the Stones 68-72, the Beatles 65-69, and Zeppelin, but not sure what 5 year period...69-73? 71-75?

I don't know if there are Stones fans who haven't seen "Gimme Shelter" but it is available on Youtube (in nine parts):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=G05BfgiMnDQ

There is also a documentary about the man who was murdered at that Altamont concert:

http://www.sf360.org/features/2006/04/a_tour_through.html