Rolling Stones Thread

icantquityoubabe

I think there needs to be some respect shown for one of their least celebrated titles....

This gets dissed repeatedly by fans who claim they left their rocknroll traditions at home. Well I for one like this greatly...I loved how, after sitting at the feet of Paul McCartney during the Sgt. Pepper sessions, Mick Jagger took this influence and did a Stones 'psychedelic' album.

2000 Light Years from home, Dandelion, We Love You, The Gompus !! I love 'em....Plus the original cover was that 3d type of thingy....Hail, Hail psychedelia !!!

So whadaya say naysayers ? Can you appreciate and show some respect ?

Wow - respect - well... this brings up for me why I didn't become a Stones fanatic. I confess, I secretly loved some of these songs at the time, but being that Sgt Peppers was the first record I ever bought, was squarely in the camp of thinking the Stones were trying to cash in on the Beatles' more organic (and superior) creation.

Plus that whole "Satanic Majesties" thing, puh-leaze! Maybe a teensy bit Satanic (in a calculated way) but, er, majestic?? Brian Jones? <_<

Imagine my surprise to learn Lennon & McCartney actually sang on this album! I should give it another listen... it does have a really cool cover, doesn't it?

I miss real album covers...

I thought you might. :D When I was young, I romanticized the "beautifully doomed" but, now that I am older, I miss their presence and the musical creations they might have brought us, had they lived. I think especially of Hendrix, Joplin, and Morrison.

Yes. They were all of that mold, weren't they? Saddest thing about that time is that people did not intervene. "Beautifully doomed" seemed natural somehow.

How Richards survived is strangely inspirational. (Hell, Page, too.)

:lol: Did the speaker also mention that there are few pharmaceuticals for which some boomers have not acquired a tolerance for? :lol:

She did! :D Effective pain mangement is a particular issue, sadly.

I am not a naysayer. I still like that album - it reminds me of a very unique time. Absolutely perfect for era. My favorite from it, I think, is "2000 Light Years from Home." Plastic 3D cover! Not quite as cool as the zipper on "Sticky Fingers." My husband loves the Stones "psychedelic album" and still listens to it. Then again, he has always been heavily into psychedelic music. He can get lost in something like "Astronomie Dominie".

Oh, man, me too. "Careful with that Axe, Eugene..."

Edited by SunChild

Yes. They were all of that mold, weren't they? Saddest thing about that time is that people did not intervene. "Beautifully doomed" seemed natural somehow.

How Richards survived is strangely inspirational. (Hell, Page, too.)

My husband is a huge fan of Hendrix and he's sometimes pondered what we lost when he left us. "Can you imagine what he might be doing now?" sort of thing. There was a documentary on Janis and in it, one of her best friends from that time said (paraphrase), "I never thought of Janis as a doomed soul." Perhaps the people around them couldn't see what was coming or recognize the severity of the addictions.

Baby boomers and pain management. A challenge, I think.

Page and Richards, two of my favorite rock guys. Survivors. Definitely inspirational.

Oh, man, me too. "Careful with that Axe, Eugene..."

Well, you will love the music here at the "Hermetic Hacienda"! :D

I can`t believe anyone, especially Keith drinks Coors beer. Must be a promo thing.

I'm not so big on it these days but way back when you couldn't get beer in NC with 6.4 alcoholic content but if you drove to SC you could buy Coors imported from Mexico that was just that. Believe you me, that trip was made more than once with friends willing to pay $1 per beer just for the increased alcoholic content.

Agreed. The Brian Jones/Mick Taylor eras are the 'real' Rolling Stones. I love those two versions of the band. Fantastic music.

Ron Wood = shizer.

Agreed the Band as they are today are a joke and should pack it in before they do any more damage to their legacy.

RjK

Agreed the Band as they are today are a joke and should pack it in before they do any more damage to their legacy.

Having just seen them in concert a couple of years ago and being a fan of their A Bigger Bang record, I hope the last thing they do is pack it in.

I've got several of the early Stones remasters..the DSD hybrids. Thing is, they're FULL price. I got them on sale when they were initially released and they were still about $13 for the unexpanded issues...ya know, 30-40 minute cd's ! I still got them, but was bummed they couldn't be offered for like $9.99 or something....

I bet that box up there is about $150 !! maybe $129 ?

Have you (or anyone else) heard both the DSD and the London Hot Rocks? The USD is good on some tracks, terrible on others. Overall, there's not enough bass for my taste. :(

I haven't heard this on cd. I used to have it on vinyl though, and I don't remember it being too deficient in bass. Can you not just boost it ?

Hey Joel. I actually don't like the effect of using the tone controls, as my receiver does not boost the level in a way that sounds natural. Having said that, yes, I have tried boosting the bass and got decent results.

Lots of early 60s recordings can be rather thin....is it that stuff on it and/or the latter songs ?

It's a mixed bag, but yes, overall the earlier is worse.

I was one of the first 50 people to join the Stones' UK fan club in 1964, for 2/6d, and it got me a signed picture. Years later (I kept up my membership) it got me an invitation to the taping of Rock 'n' Roll Circus, but I couldn't go because they said it would end late and it was the night before I had a big exam. :(

Looking back, my favorite periods were those early blues years, and then the Mick Taylor years. For me they went off the boil after that, but I'll always love them.

I was one of the first 50 people to join the Stones' UK fan club in 1964, for 2/6d, and it got me a signed picture. Years later (I kept up my membership) it got me an invitation to the taping of Rock 'n' Roll Circus, but I couldn't go because they said it would end late and it was the night before I had a big exam. :(

Looking back, my favorite periods were those early blues years, and then the Mick Taylor years. For me they went off the boil after that, but I'll always love them.

Which album(s) were of the Mick Taylor years?

Say what you will. But without Mick Taylor, the Stones simply never get to where they got at the time. Put Taylor and Keith together, and you have true guitar magic. As good as it gets, Jimmy Page notwithstanding. And even that was close back in 1972-73 when the Stones played live.

mick_keith_taylor_table.jpg

Say what you will. But without Mick Taylor, the Stones simply never get to where they got at the time. Put Taylor and Keith together, and you have true guitar magic. As good as it gets, Jimmy Page notwithstanding. And even that was close back in 1972-73 when the Stones played live.

mick_keith_taylor_table.jpg

Agreed, I would take them with Mick Taylor over Ron Wood any day. I know Taylor is a good lead player, but I was surprised to see on 'Gimme Shelter' that he was holding down a lot of rhythm, playing the riffs behind Keith (I'm no Stones expert, so I don't know who plays what like some others here probably do). And the songs sounded so much heavier with his big chunky chords churning in the songs. One of the best things about the song Gimme Shelter is the chords, it gives it that ominous heavy sound. But when you hear a modern concert version with Wood on guitar, those chords are missing, because he and Keith are both noodling leads throughout the song. They both do that "basketweaving" thing where they're both playing lead, but no one is holding down the main riff like Taylor did...

Just my 2 cents.