Robert Plant: The Voice That Sailed The Zeppelin

Whigged

Absolutely terrible book. It's got a very anti-Zeppelin tone, which is just bizarre, and the author (Dave Thompson) goes on and on multiple times about "Battle of Evermore" and how it is a band highlight - especially lyrically. In the foreword, the guy seems bitter that the Robert Plant: A Life book came out before his, and denounces every other book that has come out on Plant and/or Zep as worthless - especially with those that are sourced by people who actually know the subject(s) personally because most have an axe to grind.

Then again, the press release touts Thompson as the "author of over 100 books on rock and pop culture." That's a red flag right away. There's lots of "writers" out there who churn out book after book on a variety or musical acts, and it always feels a bit disconnected and impersonal. The writing is usually stale, filled with 25 cent words and feels like nothing more than a way to make a quick buck on fans that will buy anything with the artist's name on it. Not-so-coincidentally, this comes out the week after Pagey's book in October.

Here's what I learned from the book:

Robert wanted to leave Zeppelin before In Through the Out Door...but Jimmy threatened to bring in Roy Harper as the new singer so Robert freaked out and came back.

Fate of Nations is the high point in Plant's career - it's a masterpiece in every conceivable way.

Walking Into Clarksdale was the low point...but not as low as Coverdale/Page - Coverdale was nothing more than a shrieker in the vein of Axl Rose.

No one else in Zeppelin respected Robert. He showed them by having the most successful solo career.

Touring with Jimmy for Unledded was horrible. Jimmy wouldn't associate with anyone else on the road - including Robert (yet somehow they then went on to make a new album and tour extensively again).

"Battle of Evermore" is the greatest Led Zeppelin song ever written - because of the lyrics. It should be more recognized than "Stairway"

Robert hated Peter Grant, who strong armed/manipulated Robert into incessant recording and touring even though peers like Pink Floyd and ELP (!?!?!) would put years between albums and tours.

Presence was the worst album Zeppelin ever made, and it was, again, because Peter pushed Robert into making it before he was ready.

Robert never really liked Jimmy, who was nice to him at first, but was jealous of all the attention Plant got once the band got going, then treated him like a real meanie.

Everyone in the band partook in debauchery on the road (Jonesy not so much) but Robert was content to just be on his own, going to check out a band or something relaxed.

Robert was miserable gearing up for the O2 show. A black cloud hung over the rehearsals and the show itself, which wasn't very good anyway.

The only reason why the Jimmy, John and Jason were rehearsing with other singers was to make Robert come running and join them. But Robert doesn't need Led Zeppelin - and he never did in the first place.

Jimmy had a 30-some date tour of America booked for the U.S. for Zeppelin in 2008, but Robert refused and Jimmy had to have it canceled.

• 2 months later...

The title is just awful. I want to read this only for more information on the dynamics of the relationship between RP and JP, which I'll always find fascinating.

Robert was miserable gearing up for the O2 show. A black cloud hung over the rehearsals and the show itself, which wasn't very good anyway.

Not too surprised at this; we've heard this implied by other sources but, in my opinion, it's obvious from RP's demeanor during the show itself (which I thought was quite good and even great at times). RP was so magnetic, but he seemed mournful and not especially upbeat. Contrast this to JP looking just thrilled to be there.

Pretty sure whigged's post was tongue in cheek.

I took it to be both tongue-in-cheek and an expression (if slightly exaggerated) of what the author alleged in the book. From what I understand, the author is a bigger fan of Plant's post-Zep work than LZ itself, so I wouldn't be surprised if the author wasn't impressed with the O2 show, thinks Fate of Nations is the best thing RP's ever done, etc.

...Robert hated Peter Grant, who strong armed/manipulated Robert into incessant recording and touring even though peers like Pink Floyd and ELP (!?!?!) would put years between albums and tours...

What peers? Most successful British rock bands from that era had similar recording and touring schedules. Pink Floyd released a studio album every year from 1967-1973 and in 1969 they released two; More and Umagumma. Every rock biography I've read mentions the pressure to continually come up with new music and the relentless touring schedule. It comes with the territory. Rock discographies are easy enough to find. Thompson didn't bother to do this basic research which makes me question the veracity of everything else in his book.

Archived