Bee Gees

Well well a classic album I`ve only gotten the vinyl copy Charles J. Its so sad that the twins have both passed away. there vocal harmonies where breath taking I even enjoy the disco music era too, is there any better way to get up on your feet and dancing around the room cool dude`s cool...

They were one of my favorite pop groups during the 1970's. They had great songs and harmonized so well. While writing this it just occurred to me that while Barry Gibb is the oldest of the Gibb brothers; he is the only one still living. Even more tragic, the youngest of the brothers, Andy, died first.

I have no idea, Disco. I was just replying to a post about "Massachusetts" and offering my opinion.

I know, I was just thinking out loud (figuratively speaking). I checked it out and Robin did indeed sing lead on I Started A Joke. Does the late 1960's version of the Bee Gees remind anyone else of The Hollies?

Btw, I got the song title wrong in my earlier post. I referred to it as The Joke Was on Me.

Edited by Disco Duck

• 2 years later...

In terms of pop songwriting, I put the Bee Gees up there with The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Michael Jackson...pretty much anybody. Their harmonies were downright amazing. The way all three of them blended their voices in a song was truly remarkable. They also continued to change and adapt their music to suit the musical style of the time. Robin Gibb is one of my favorite singers out there. His voice was truly unique. It's a shame that their disco stuff (which I really like, btw) has caused them to have a negative reputation these days. They were so much more than Saturday Night Fever. Their 60s stuff alone is amazing! Here's my top underrated Bee Gees songs, in chronological order:

Every Christian Lion-Hearted Man Will Show You - Gregorian chants mixed with a very trippy, psychedelic section with Beatlesque harmonies. What's not to love?

Odessa (City on the Black Sea) - a gorgeous song from their best (and most underrated) album. The way that they combine classical music with a pop ballad is amazing. Not to mention the haunting lyrics. And they were only in their late teens/early 20s here! Very few other groups were doing this sort of thing at the time (only the Moody Blues comes to mind for me).

Alive - a great, uplifting song that was sadly overlooked when it was released (it hit the top 40, but only just barely). The way it crescendos in the chorus is great.

All This Making Love - a great hard funk/R&B song featuring a very strong Barry Gibb vocal. Also features darker lyrics than were typical for them at this time.

Ordinary Lives - a great soft song from the late 80s, done in tribute to their youngest brother Andy, who had just died. Features some very existential lyrics too!

Heart Like Mine - a haunting, ethereal song with New Age influences (almost sounds like it could be an Enya song) that features a stunning lead from Robin. Barry even called this his favorite song that Robin sings on. 

Blue Island - a lovely acoustic song that was dedicated to the children of Yugoslavia. Barry said it was the nicest song they ever wrote.

I Will - this is what I mean when I talk about their harmonies. The way they blend their voices on this track is nothing short of magical!

This Is Where I Came In - a great bluesy, rocking track from their last album. 

It's sad how Barry is the only one left. I can't imagine having to bury three younger brothers (and his mother recently passed away as well). Great that he's still making music though.

• 2 weeks later...
On Saturday, March 25, 2017 at 10:38 AM, ZepHead315 said:

In terms of pop songwriting, I put the Bee Gees up there with The Beatles, The Beach Boys, Michael Jackson...pretty much anybody. Their harmonies were downright amazing. The way all three of them blended their voices in a song was truly remarkable. They also continued to change and adapt their music to suit the musical style of the time. Robin Gibb is one of my favorite singers out there. His voice was truly unique. It's a shame that their disco stuff (which I really like, btw) has caused them to have a negative reputation these days. They were so much more than Saturday Night Fever. Their 60s stuff alone is amazing! Here's my top underrated Bee Gees songs, in chronological order:

Every Christian Lion-Hearted Man Will Show You - Gregorian chants mixed with a very trippy, psychedelic section with Beatlesque harmonies. What's not to love?

Odessa (City on the Black Sea) - a gorgeous song from their best (and most underrated) album. The way that they combine classical music with a pop ballad is amazing. Not to mention the haunting lyrics. And they were only in their late teens/early 20s here! Very few other groups were doing this sort of thing at the time (only the Moody Blues comes to mind for me).

Alive - a great, uplifting song that was sadly overlooked when it was released (it hit the top 40, but only just barely). The way it crescendos in the chorus is great.

All This Making Love - a great hard funk/R&B song featuring a very strong Barry Gibb vocal. Also features darker lyrics than were typical for them at this time.

Ordinary Lives - a great soft song from the late 80s, done in tribute to their youngest brother Andy, who had just died. Features some very existential lyrics too!

Heart Like Mine - a haunting, ethereal song with New Age influences (almost sounds like it could be an Enya song) that features a stunning lead from Robin. Barry even called this his favorite song that Robin sings on. 

Blue Island - a lovely acoustic song that was dedicated to the children of Yugoslavia. Barry said it was the nicest song they ever wrote.

I Will - this is what I mean when I talk about their harmonies. The way they blend their voices on this track is nothing short of magical!

This Is Where I Came In - a great bluesy, rocking track from their last album. 

It's sad how Barry is the only one left. I can't imagine having to bury three younger brothers (and his mother recently passed away as well). Great that he's still making music though.

We'll written overview with which I greatly agree. Such a variety in their compositions and musical approachs. You're right in including I Will on your list. It's a glorious song.

The Grammy Tribute was a sham, as usual with anything to do with the Grammys. According to them, a viewer would be led to believe that the Bee Gees didn't begin until "Saturday Night Fever". They pretty much negated their entire output pre-SNF. What a disgrace.

"I Started A Joke" could be the theme song for the Grammys. Because that's what they are...a total joke. 

The Grammys and Jann Wenner's Rolling Stone/Rock and Roll HOF clique...two of the most useless groups in the music world.

• 2 months later...