Led Zeppelin: Texas Hurricane (EVSD NEW SOUNDBOARD)

Sue Dounim

Ha! I got the 2 CD Hideaway silvers and though what the heck happened to the artwork :-) It looked like someone took a 10dpi image and tried blowing it up to 100,000 dpi or something. I loved the shows and even the bonus tracks like "Girl From The North Country". Been too long since I've listened to that CD set...

Ha! I got the 2 CD Hideaway silvers and though what the heck happened to the artwork :-) It looked like someone took a 10dpi image and tried blowing it up to 100,000 dpi or something. I loved the shows and even the bonus tracks like "Girl From The North Country". Been too long since I've listened to that CD set...

Looks like someone made it in Microsoft Paint in the 90's lol... Is that still a thing?

You're right, the recording is actually quite good!

Kinda makes you wince and wish Jesus would hurry up and make that dyin' bed. ;)

Caught me off guard even though I was aware of it beforehand. :ohmy: On a positive note, as you and Glyn said, the bass sounds great, especially in NFBM, and it sounds like Bonzo is having a very good night! (I'm on NQ now)

-sigh- It's announcements like this one that makes me wish Nutrocker still visited the forum...

whatever happened to Nutrocker....he won't respond to me through other channels...

Howdy folks...nah, a few newbie arseholes here were pissing me off, so I figured I'd take a break from the scene for a while...of course, a release like THIS ONE is enough to compel this old hermit to pop out of his cave.

A few of us have theorized here and elsewhere for years now that most, if not all, of the second leg of the '77 tour exists in soundboard format. This Fort Worth SBD just adds fuel to that theory, I'd reckon. Still, where the hell is Baton Rouge or Greensboro, goddammit?!

I've said a few times that Bonham's Fort Worth drum solo is one of his best...I look forward to hearing it in SBD quality, 28 minutes of pure genius, that one. But JHB was kicking ass on the night anyway...

AAHHHHHHHHHH I JUST MADE THE BIGGEST GRIN!!

Nutrocker, I'm so glad you're back! I kid you not, this is a bigger highlight to my day than getting the soundboard. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it, it's pretty great, though not without it's faults of course.

Howdy folks...nah, a few newbie arseholes here were pissing me off, so I figured I'd take a break from the scene for a while...of course, a release like THIS ONE is enough to compel this old hermit to pop out of his cave.

A few of us have theorized here and elsewhere for years now that most, if not all, of the second leg of the '77 tour exists in soundboard format. This Fort Worth SBD just adds fuel to that theory, I'd reckon. Still, where the hell is Baton Rouge or Greensboro, goddammit?!

I've said a few times that Bonham's Fort Worth drum solo is one of his best...I look forward to hearing it in SBD quality, 28 minutes of pure genius, that one. But JHB was kicking ass on the night anyway...

Yes. Must have been in good spirits too, his teaser intro to Rock and Roll gave me a chuckle. :D

AAHHHHHHHHHH I JUST MADE THE BIGGEST GRIN!!

Nutrocker, I'm so glad you're back! I kid you not, this is a bigger highlight to my day than getting the soundboard. I can't wait to hear your thoughts on it, it's pretty great, though not without it's faults of course.

Hi Sue :) Good to be back...so far...

I won't have a chance to listen to the thing till tomorrow probably, but to anyone who has given this new SBD a listen, am I to assume it has the obligatory 1977 cuts in "No Quarter", "Bron Y Aur Stomp" and "Moby Dick"?

Hi Sue :) Good to be back...so far...

I won't have a chance to listen to the thing till tomorrow probably, but to anyone who has given this new SBD a listen, am I to assume it has the obligatory 1977 cuts in "No Quarter", "Bron Y Aur Stomp" and "Moby Dick"?

Didn't notice one in No Quarter, BRUTAL one in Bron-Y-Aur Stomp (completely cuts out at 1:17), skipped Moby Dick. :blush:

Since I speak the truth, you shall read.

First, I like the quality of this soundboard mix. It has a warm sound to my ears. It's warm and "analogy" if that makes any sense.

Song Remains The Same

Punchy, the band is lock, stock, and barrel with each other. Page sounds good. He doesn't sound exhaused or sloppy, like he does on later shows from this tour. Bonham is the engine behind this one. He's packs a whollop and then some. Again, Bonham isn't going apeshit like he does on with SRTS on 6/21 but his drumming is solid, solid, and he's pounding that bass drum. Plant's voice sounds good (as we know for most of the '77 tour there is minimal cracking, thanks to nearly two years of rest from touring). Jones' bass playing is superb.

Sick Again

Smooth transition from SRTS into SA. No sound problems and again, the band is lock, stock and barrel together. I dare say it. The band is tight! Yowza! Page's solo is good for '77; he's not terribly sloppy and sounds pretty much as good as Page would sound for '77 (again, minus the LA gigs, which we know are the crown jewels from '77) Outch! A few bursts of loud feedback towards the end of this one but not the band's fault, right?

Nobody's Fault But Mine

Good evening Ft. Worth! Apologize for the delay, yes, Plant. It's appreciated. If I were a stark raving mad Zep head, circa '77, I'd welcome the apology but would be pissing in my pants just to be seeing you anyway. Chug, chug, chug, yup, the number gets off to a sort of sluggish groove, although maybe I like a faster tempo to this tune? Whatever. The band keeps chugging and again, they are tight, which makes it a pleasure to listen to. Page's soloing is pleasant and with no surprises. Matter of fact, this is a by the book performance for '77 and for Page on this night. Outch! More bursts of loud feedback piercing my ears towards the end of this number. Page is slightly off on timing towards the end of the tune but it's a minor quibble.

In My Time of Dying

Ah, the famous false start. Yup, in all its glory. "A few clouds on the stage too" says Plant. But no worries. The band starts all over again, much to our ears delight, and hey, Zep can screw up all it wants cause back in '77, no one was paying attention anyway. Meet me Jesus. Please, meet in the middle of the air. Yes, Plant, if my wings fail me, I'll meet you with another. I'll die easy with plenty of baby, baby, babys and ooh yeahs to spare. Page's guitar sounds sort of distorted at the break in this tune. Not sure if it's really that enjoyable to listen to. But if you love Page, it won't matter to you. When he starts using the slide, it sounds better. Please, you know you shook me baby, you shook me all night long....if only the band would have broken into this tune back then! Wow, that would have been spectacular. But no, Plant only teases it. And the song ends, convincingly.

SIBLY

Page cradles this one and he's playing with some love, me thinks. This tune was so close to the band. It would be a travesty if they blew it. I like Jones keyboards on this tune. During Page's furious solo in the break, you can feel his concentration on this one. I don't hear mistakes. I hear Page playing with as much care as he could muster for '77. If anything, Page doesn't sound smacked out during this concert, which is why it's an important one to have in your catalog of '77 shows. Ouuuuuuu, baby, I've been crying lord.....oh my tears, they fell like rain, sometimes you can see them....yup, belt it, Plant. I like what I'm hearing, no cracks to the voice. Thank goodness. Overall, a tame and safe performance by the band. Not going out on a limb on this one. It's good.

No Quarter

Starts off well, Jones's piano sound is a bit distorted in parts in the beginning, but he plays well. Standard wolf sounds by Page. When he breaks into piano mode, he sounds much better. It's interesting to rate Jones as a piano player. He plays lots of chords. He's no Keith Emerson but he plays so many instruments to begin with. An interesting mixture of blues with flourishes of classical. I like the break at the 16:50 mark. Everyone will enjoy this. Page is somewhat buried in the mix when he's playing with Jones, me thinks, or his guitar is also distorted. Bonzo is pounding away. During the 14 minute segment, it's Jones alone again and makes me want to hear more soloing from him. Although I think the NQ's from '75 were frankly, better. Now I like Page coming into playing with Jones. When he solos, I dig it. This is about as good a NQ as you're going to get from the the 77 tour (minus again, LA). Page is having fun on this number as is Jones.

Ten Years Gone

My favorite tune (next to Achilles) from the 77 tour. Jones three necked instrument sounds good. Rivers always reach the sea and it does. Band plays well on this tune. Plant sings well; Page plays well; I don't hear mistakes. No hurries to get through this tune. The band loves it. It's one of the best tunes from PG. Bonham pounds and pounds on that bass drum. Song ends and you're satisfied.

Battle of Evermore

Good clear sound and I really like the mix on this tune. If you enjoy this tune, you'll like this performance and the mix as well. Not much else to say. Just imagine being at Ft. Worth on this night, close up to the stage and watching these four artists doing their magic. You'd leave home with a huge smile on the face.

Going to California

Hard to f-ck up this tune unless you're totally out of it. Thankfully, the band isn't and this tune remains the treasured ode to hippiedom it alwasy was and will be. Plants sings beautifully "must have been a Yellow Rose" The band obviously loves Texas. Again, the sound mix is quite good to my ears. It's a pleasure to listen to in the headphones. A little feedback but its carefully shooed away. Standing on a mountain of dreams....hot diggedy, it's hard!

Black Country Woman

Short and sweet. Bonham, Stomp, stomp, stomp...that's it

Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

Page doing his thing. It's a fine rendition. Stomp, stomp, stomp....survive.....all the good times we had...abruptly ends, not sure why...maybe a screw up on the master tape?

White Summer

I'm bored with this tune (other than the '69 versions) and having nothing to positive to say other than if you like this tune, Page performs it well (for 77).

Kashmir

Solid version. No complaints. If you love this tune, you'll dig the performance. Bonham carries this tune. He stomps and pounds and you won't soon forget him.

Out on the Tiles/Moby Dick

Joyous, sweet, charming, over the top................................................................................always loved the opening riff to Out On the Tiles.....wish they had performed the whole tune....then it's on to another 20+ minute drum solo....I'll skip it and let Bonham buffs have at it.....

Guitar solo

Or should I say, obnoxious guitar solo? The band could have squeezed in at least two new songs never performed before but instead we get Page's ode to I don't know what. How do you describe this sound? Probably the one thing from this entire concert that I'd just skip and never listen to again. A little bit of "look away, look away, look away...." Some civil war references me thinks....Again, the band loved Texas so this is Page's masturbatory ode to USA...performing the national anthem...(has nothing on Hendrix, though)

ALS

Page starts of badly. Yes, BADLY. My first quibble with Page's playing of the night. He stumbles with the opening lines. Then he regains his composure and Bonham blasts through to carry us through the opening chords. Thanks, Bonham! Yes, his playing is enthusiastic and makes this tune as exciting as it is and should be. Page's guitar sound is so distorted though. Not always kind to the ears. Page is OK but his fingers stick to the frets sometimes on this tune and I think it's Bonham who plays better on this tune than Page. However, having said that, this version still does not come close to 6/23, which remains the pinnacle for all ALS in '77! Page also can't make the high notest towards the end like he does in LA so I stand by remarks.

Stairway to Heaven

Won't go into any great detail here. Sounds good. If you are still capable of stomaching this tune after classic rock radio killed it, then by all means, have had it.

Whole Lotta Love morphs into Rock and Roll with a cool intro, especially Bonham's percussion teasing

Thanks Ft. Worth, you've been wonderful....and I said, GOOD EVENING!

It'll Be Me - (with Mick Ralphs) from Bad Company....And a very apt remark by Plant stating how its not normal for the band to extend the warm hand of of musical friendship to anybody but.....

The band obviously is in a good mood so Mick jams with Page. It's a good jam. It's certainly refreshing to hear the band perform a tune that was not typically scheduled on the menu. Jones playing on keyboards is great! Final yelp from Plant.

Thank you, kindly, Mick Ralphs. Led Zeppelin are now going to get it off.

If you love Texas, it's a must have for '77 fans.

I presume EVSD try to target the average-mainstream audience with their later releases without aud patches. Pity. People that ordered that stuff may throw it into a trash can. I'm gonna wait for a patched version on DIME.

Why wait for dime when I can send one to you?

The reason why people are confused about the cuts is because EVSD overlapped the tape so the cuts wouldn't be as noticeable, and they added crowd noise between Bron-Yr-Aur Stomp and White Summer, which also cuts in, so it wouldn't immediately jump from one song to the next.

Welcome back. It's been a long time, been a long time, been a long lonely lonely lonely lonely lonely...time!

Archived