Who says the 1973 MSG Shows are bad performances?

Detigers09

Just to make sure, is it from 73 or 75? Thanks. How is the rest of the show?

'75 show (Snow Jobs is the version I have). The show is a fantastic quality soundboard, and the entire show has a very loose feeling. A lot of really stellar interplay and improv between the entire band, and Plant's voice sounds great.

In regards to Jimmy's playing post 73, I thought I remember reading something about him having tentonitis problems in his left hand/forearm. Can anyone confirm that? :huh: If thats true, I'd say that would effect his playing as much or even more than heroin use.

Tendonitis...right...just like his 'flu'

His home remedy for that was acupuncture with a needle filled with smack. He's been trying to keep his heroin addiction low profile for years, but nobody can't stay awake and weighs 90 pounds soaking wet from tendonitis. I love the story about him at the Bad Company photo session falling, on the nod with his people telling Bad Co he has 'the flu'

Tendonitis...right...just like his 'flu'

His home remedy for that was acupuncture with a needle filled with smack. He's been trying to keep his heroin addiction low profile for years, but nobody can't stay awake and weighs 90 pounds soaking wet from tendonitis. I love the story about him at the Bad Company photo session falling, on the nod with his people telling Bad Co he has 'the flu'

:thumbdown: In no way way I downplaying his heroin addiction. In all likelyhood, it was the biggest reason for his struggles. But if he did have even the slightest problem with tendonitis then I'm sure that was a contributing factor. If you have even the slightest familiarity with tendonitis, you know how negatively it can effect the dexterity in one's hands and fingers. Drug use is obvious, but it may not have been the entire problem. That's all I was getting at. God forbid someone offers another contributing factor. Many other guitarists have battled through drug addictions and not experienced the decline in playing that Page did during the 70's.

Maybe there should be a topic comparing the months of March versus July of 1973. Page never reached the levels he did in March but he came close in July. Having fully recovered from his finger injury in late May, Page's playing gets better and better after each show in July. The playing in MSG is phenomenal. Plant is in great voice compared to the shows in March where the slightest push would make his voice squeak. JPJ is pretty much the same. The most consistent member of the band. Bonham was possessed on the dates in March but the dates in July show him not as forceful and over the top powerful. But that's not a bad thing. Page's mentioning of the MSG performance of being tired or somewhat sluggish aren't true. The band kicked major ass and unfortunately Page would never play as great as he did in March and July of that year.

'75 show (Snow Jobs is the version I have). The show is a fantastic quality soundboard, and the entire show has a very loose feeling. A lot of really stellar interplay and improv between the entire band, and Plant's voice sounds great.

Agreed on Snow Jobs, NQ is just sick its so good. The interaction of Jonesy on piano and Bonzo and Jimmy on guitar are amazing. If there was ever an official series of bootleg releases this one would have to be on it. It sounds awesome from the beginning but then they get into this groove at 15:30...wow...

Plant's vocals are ok on that at best, sounds like he has a cold or something, at the end of STH his voice just totally breaks down, probably the worst moment for Plant I've ever heard but I don't really care, its highly recommended anyway.

Archived