Soundgarden

• 2 weeks later...

They weren't bad, and even had some moments of transcendence..."Superunknown" was their crowning achievement. But, with the exception of the early shows I saw around 1988-1990, they were kind of boring live. Not as much charisma as you would hope from a singer of Chris Cornell's stature, and the rest of the band were visual bores. I saw them again for the first time since the 1996 Down on the Upside tour, when they opened for Nine Inch Nails at the Hollywood Bowl this summer. A decent show, but nothing mesmerizing...and once again, they didn't play my favourite song from "Superunknown":

"Head Down"

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Previously Unreleased Song "Twin Tower".

On November 24, Soundgarden will release the long-awaited 3-CD rarities collection "Echoes Of Miles: Scattered Tracks Across The Path". Among the set's seven unreleased tracks is a brand-new recording, "Storm", recorded in May this year with producer Jack Endino in Seattle. Available from Soundgardenworld.com in several exclusive bundles.

Taking in everything from original B-sides to unreleased tracks, instrumentals, covers and demos, the collection was curated and hand-selected by guitarist Kim Thayll, who says: "As album sets go, this one has been fun to collect and compile over the decades. I personally may have referenced this project a number of times over the years, going back almost twenty of them to the mid-Nineties!"

For the first time, "Echoes Of Miles" collects and curates all these "scattered tracks across the path," offering a different slant on the 26 year history and evolution of one of alternative rock's finest bands.

The Package has once again been beautifully designed by Josh Graham. The set features three separate thematic discs in a clear plastic slipcase with three separate mini-jackets, each sporting its own unique art, a booklet and inserts, allowing you to mix and match your own album graphic layout.

Disc 1, dubbed "Originals", is filled with Soundgarden-written songs, mainly B-sides, in addition to two unreleased songs, "Kristi" and "Storm".

Disc 2, "Covers", offers a stellar showcase of songs written by bands that Soundgarden love and admire, from The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, The Doors to The Stooges, the Ramones and Devo.

Disk 3, "Oddities", offers instrumentals, remixes and demos, including Steve Fisk's unreleased "The Telephantasm (Resurrection Remix)", "Twin Tower", penned by Matt Cameron, which was originally recorded at Seattle's London Bridge studio in December 1988 during the sessions for "Louder Than Love", and "Nightsurf", an instrumental performed by bassist Ben Shepherd.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/soundgarden-previously-unreleased-song-twin-tower-available-for-streaming/

Edited by luvlz2

• 2 years later...

Still a bit stunned by this. Talk about unexpected... Always thought Soundgarden were a great band - energised psych metal with Zeppelin, Sabbath, '60s underground and post-punk influences? That's got my name all over it! Also loved the fact that every last one of em was an awkward curmudgeon that didn't play nicely with others... Really sorry to hear this news.

Hello:

I was watching WDIV (Detroit) yesterday. One of the reporters had been at the concert. He was very shocked at the news of Chris' death..

I was also watching a report on CTV London. The person being interviewed talked about how he felt bullied when he was younger. He would go home and put on a SOUNDGARDEN cd and the tunes would make him feel much better.. 

RIP Chris Cornell

Edited by Juliet
omitted a word

13 minutes ago, Juliet said:

Hello:

I was watching WDIV (Detroit) yesterday. One of the reporters had been at the concert. He was very shocked at the news of Chris' death..

I was also watching a report on CTV London. The person being interviewed talked about how he felt bullied when he was younger. He would go home and put on a SOUNDGARDEN cd and the tunes would make him feel much better.. 

RIP Chris Cornell

Great story, it's really something, how music affects people differently.

18 hours ago, kingzoso said:

I just read that the last song Soundgarden played was "In My Time of Dying".  Pretty odd choice of song considering what happened later that night.

Question: I've read that too and i'm wondering why thats being said? Pretty sure their last song was Slaves & Bulldozers and Cornell is said to have quoted just the refrain from IMTOD during this song...but I don't even hear that . Am I missing something here? 

This one hurts. It really, really hurts. Soundgarden used to be one of my favorite bands, right up until I pretty much only had them and Gorillaz to listen to for a couple years back in 2005-2007, at which point they became my favorite band. They inadvertently introduced me to stoner rock and doom metal before I ever knew what those terms meant by implanting in me a love for thick, riff-infested heavy rock. In turn, that brought me to enjoy classic rock far more than I had when I used to exclusively care about modern radio rock and nü/alternative metal. It was because of Soundgarden that I could ever learn of the likes of Buffalo, Cactus, Highway Robbery, Lucifer's Friend, Iron Claw, Black Widow, Coven, Pentagram, Too Much, Brats, The Petards, and the non-famous tracks from Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Cream, Blue Cheer, and Jimi Hendrix.