Richard Cole Interview: The Lean And Mean Led Zeppelin Organization

sam_webmaster

• Administrators

The Lean And Mean Led Zeppelin Organization

9/06/2014 | forbes.com

Led Zeppelin is notorious for the mayhem they inflicted everywhere they touched down. In an era sandwiched between the invention of birth control and the onset of AIDS, Led Zeppelin was drunk with the power of sudden money and the adoration of millions of fans and lived out an extreme version of many young men’s fantasies. As singer Robert Plant told journalist Lisa Robinson, “When we do something, we just do it bigger and better than anybody else. When there are no holds barred, there are no holds barred.” The trashed hotel rooms, occult-inspired rituals, hard drugs, orgies, gun waving, and beatings have been thoroughly documented in various memoirs and biographies of the people associated with the band.

What is less known is how Led Zeppelin functioned as a business. I recently spoke with Richard Cole, who was Led Zeppelin’s tour manager for most of the band’s career. Cole himself was often right in the middle of the troublemaking. But, he told me, Led Zeppelin didn’t let their craziness offstage impact the show they gave their fans. Theirs was a small but tight organization that delivered consistent performances night after night. Here’s what I learned about how this feat was accomplished:

Work ethic. Led Zeppelin infused their organization with the value of hard work and hired conscientious people like themselves. “Most of us left school in England when we were 15 years old and went to work,” Cole said. “I was a scaffolder. John Bonham [Led Zeppelin’s drummer] had been a bricklayer. Robert Plant had worked with asphalt on the road. Jimmy Page [guitarist] and John Paul Jones [bassist] were session musicians. For session musicians, when they tell you you’ve got to be there for the session at 10:00 AM in the morning, you’re there. These were coveted jobs so they didn’t mess around. So all of us had that work ethic.”

Cole believes bands today struggle because they go into music straight from school without work experience. He also fears they go into music for the wrong reasons. “The most common thing you hear is, ‘I want to be rich and famous,’” he said of aspiring artists. “They think it’s an overnight job. It’s not. It’s a lot of schlepping. In 1968 no one knew how much money there was in the music business, really. There was nothing to look back and say, ‘So-and-so has got this big house because he did this and that.’ But money wasn’t the driver for bands in the early days. I can remember being in pubs with the Beatles and they were just happy that they were making a living out of playing music rather than having to do some mundane job in Liverpool.”

Richard-Cole.jpg

No such thing as “can’t.” When Cole first started working for Led Zeppelin’s manager, Peter Grant, Grant told him to look something up in the Yellow Pages. “Well, in 1967 I had never heard of the Yellow Pages,” Cole said. “We didn’t have them in England. And I remember saying, ‘Oh, I can’t.’ And he said, ‘Can’t. I never want to hear that word again.’ He said, ‘It’s not in my vocabulary,’ and that was it. If you were paid to do a job you got it done and that was all there was to it.”

Cole told me a story of one night on Led Zeppelin’s crucial first North American tour. He was driving the band in a van through snowstorm in Spokane Washington. “We had to go to Seattle, which was more than 200 miles away, to catch the last plane to Los Angeles because the next day we were opening at the Whiskey A Go Go. It was one of the most important gigs on Led Zeppelin’s first tour. And the police stopped me and directed me off the freeway because they said the snow was too bad. But I knew that they had to be in Los Angeles the next day and so I just went up one side of the cloverleaf and down the other side and back onto the road again. And the guy who was driving the truck with the equipment did exactly the same thing. He didn’t know that I did it but that was just what we did.”

Keep it simple. The Zeppelin organization was small by today’s standards, with a crew of only about 15 people traveling with the band. The band itself would arrive 30 minutes before a show. “They would turn up and they would go in the dressing room. There was no change of clothes or wardrobe or any of the poncy stuff. And whoa be tide if the stuff wasn’t ready,” he said “And it always was.”

In the early 2000s Cole visited a friend who was the production manager on a show for a major band at the Forum in Los Angeles. “God knows how many times I’ve done The Forum with Led Zeppelin,” Cole told me. “And I said to him, ‘How many people have you got on this tour?’ And he said, ‘About 100.’ And I went in one room and I asked him, ‘What’s this?’ He said, ‘Production office,’ and there was about 10 people all sitting on computers. Don’t ask me what they were doing because I have no idea. And he said, ‘What did you have in here?’ I said, ‘What did I have in here? A telephone, a bottle of Jack Daniels and a few bags of coke and that was it. If you hadn’t got it right before you got here, you were f—-d. The phone was no good to you because the band were on in two hours and it was too late.’”

Controlled chaos. In Led Zeppelin, partying didn’t happen before shows, only after. “Work was work and play was play, they were two different areas,” said Cole. And the crew wasn’t necessarily around for the craziness because they were driving the equipment to the next show.

Part of what kept the partying under control was acknowledging that the crew is there to support the band, not act like the band. “My instructions from Peter Grant was that they’re the priority, not him or I,” he said. One day, Grant and Cole were standing on the side of the stage at a show and Grant told Cold, “One thing is for certain. Most people out there aren’t paying $7 to come and see us.’”

Sadly, Cole didn’t abide by this last creed, and ended up leaving Led Zeppelin because his heroin habit interfered with his ability to get his job done. The chaos had gotten out of control. A few months after Cole was fired, John Bonham died and Led Zeppelin ceased to exist.

Led Zeppelin pushed the limits and ended up taking things too far. But for many years, they ran an exemplary operation fueled by passion and hard work.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ruthblatt/2014/09/06/the-lean-and-mean-led-zeppelin-organization/

I simply don't like the guy. I believe he was just a very fortunate guy to be Peter Grant's underling in 1968 and no-one knew how massive LZ was going to be. He had a delusional sense of his position within the organization and lived the life of the rock star instead on managing the rock stars. He can claim to have been behind LZ but I believe it really came down to Grant's fantastic oversight. I recall reading how Plant got incensed during the first tour when Cole told him to go and get the sandwiches. It's interesting that following Cole's recovery from addiction (his excuse for his going off the rails), that he wasn't asked to manage the tours of Plant, Page, or Page/Plant. The books (his own and his contribution to Steve Davies') were inexcusable. Truthful or not, Zeppelin were all about privacy and he broke the cardinal band rule.

It's interesting that following Cole's recovery from addiction (his excuse for his going off the rails), that he wasn't asked to manage the tours of Plant, Page, or Page/Plant.

He was Peter Grant's confidant; no Peter Grant involvement would explain no Richard Cole involvement. Richard had also moved to Los Angeles. Even so, he and Jimmy maintained a friendship thru the years, and Richard was ultimately forgiven for his contributions to the Stephen Davis book.

Well let's make it clear, that it's the music that really matters! And I don't want to moralise, but I do believe in values that

are important, romantic relationships, non violence, no drugs and no negative rituals included! I would also like to state,

that I do belive the band, that lot of information from others is NOT true!

Personality is important, especially in todays world, that is struggling to find better existence! So if you got some Richard Cole

information, we still know the beating only happened once and that they probably didn't break many rooms and it doesn't really

matter that much and they always said they are about the positive and we all know the drugs were there and

I don't either want to criticise or be a nice fanyboy that says nothing bad about them,

what I want to say is, that perhaps it would be good, if the band would give out some official information, on some of the issues, so we can move on,

but we won't really know, how much truth really would be there either, so what matters most is the music and even if they were a bit promiscuous,

I'm shure they still belived in love truly, not just sing about it, afterall, Jones is still married to the same woman and I got a feeling,

Bonzo would be too!

• 1 month later...

Well let's make it clear, that it's the music that really matters! And I don't want to moralise, but I do believe in values that

are important, romantic relationships, non violence, no drugs and no negative rituals included! I would also like to state,

Personality is important, especially in todays world, that is struggling to find better existence! So if you got some Richard Cole

information, we still know the beating only happened once and that they probably didn't break many rooms and it doesn't really

matter that much and they always said they are about the positive and we all know the drugs were there and

I don't either want to criticise or be a nice fanyboy that says nothing bad about them,

what I want to say is, that perhaps it would be good, if the band would give out some official information, on some of the issues, so we can move on,

but we won't really know, how much truth really would be there either, so what matters most is the music and even if they were a bit promiscuous,

I'm shure they still belived in love truly, not just sing about it, afterall, Jones is still married to the same woman and I got a feeling,

Bonzo would be to

:rolleyes: your bringing up "love" ? youve made better comments ! but to each their own!

• 1 year later...
On 7/9/2014 at 8:58 AM, Matjaz1 said:

Bonzo would be too!

Hi! I am new here, that's why I write now, a couple of years after this topic was created.

I totally agree with you. 

As you said above, the music they made together is what really matters. That is what is all about, at least that's the way it sholud be.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/6/2014 at 9:26 PM, NealR2000 said:

I simply don't like the guy. I believe he was just a very fortunate guy to be Peter Grant's underling in 1968 and no-one knew how massive LZ was going to be. He had a delusional sense of his position within the organization and lived the life of the rock star instead on managing the rock stars. He can claim to have been behind LZ but I believe it really came down to Grant's fantastic oversight. I recall reading how Plant got incensed during the first tour when Cole told him to go and get the sandwiches. It's interesting that following Cole's recovery from addiction (his excuse for his going off the rails), that he wasn't asked to manage the tours of Plant, Page, or Page/Plant. The books (his own and his contribution to Steve Davies') were inexcusable. Truthful or not, Zeppelin were all about privacy and he broke the cardinal band rule.

So Richard Cole was very fortunate was he. Yes I dare say he was BUT  nobody can just walk into a job that requires a person with a very quick mind someone who can think on so many levels sometimes all at once, AND who has to deal with so many important issues whilst others are living it up. Yes of course Richard enjoyed the perks that come with such a position but he was the right man for the job why did he last for 12 years if he was no good? Peter Grant a savvy man who looked after his charges took Richard on not just to tour manage Led Zeppelin but many of his bands, he wouldn't have done so if he had any doubts.

2 hours ago, Bonzo3 said:

So Richard Cole was very fortunate was he. Yes I dare say he was BUT  nobody can just walk into a job that requires a person with a very quick mind someone who can think on so many levels sometimes all at once, AND who has to deal with so many important issues whilst others are living it up. Yes of course Richard enjoyed the perks that come with such a position but he was the right man for the job why did he last for 12 years if he was no good? Peter Grant a savvy man who looked after his charges took Richard on not just to tour manage Led Zeppelin but many of his bands, he wouldn't have done so if he had any doubts.

I think Mr Cole was an expert in acquiring certain, let us say, narcotics and the ladies to share them with

Yes but again you just the Narcotics and the ladies..do you think Richard Cole was only good at Acquiring this? Zeppelin were one of (if not the) biggest band in the world at this time and as I said above Peter Grant wouldn't risk any of this with man only interested in junk, booze and birds!!

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2014 at 11:11 AM, sam_webmaster said:

Richard looks like Tommy Chong there.. I think in some ways, he gets too much credit and in others, too much blame..

I think he told the truth in both books, but he probably should have kept his mouth shut on at least some of it ..

When you live and work with people for a dozen years, you're going to see a lot of good and bad and there should be some confidences that don't get broken.   

On August 18, 2016 at 2:48 AM, Bonzo3 said:

Ever hear of Shep Gordon? He did exactly that and, unlike Cole, became one of the best and most highly sought after managers / agents in music. He always placed the bands interests over his own. I would take one Shep Gordon over 10 Richard Cole's any day.

I think Richard Cole overall did a lot for Zep, overall a positive effect in terms of getting things done, but absolutely not

a "wholesome" positive effect. He was the instigator in many of the band's supposed darker hijinks, and when John

Bindon was added to the "team" in 77', they were a sinister chaos machine. Supposedly Plant in particular was rather

disgusted even earlier on from the gangster like atmosphere, even Page later on. I wouldn't be surprised if the band itself

thought firing Cole,  and in particular Bindon, could have them possibly physically retaliating. Cole was sacked in 80' ??,

but at that point he was hardly in any shape to do anything. Of course Grant likely vouched for the two maniacs, deflecting any of the band's possible objections.

1 hour ago, Mithril46 said:

I think Richard Cole overall did a lot for Zep, overall a positive effect in terms of getting things done, but absolutely not

a "wholesome" positive effect. He was the instigator in many of the band's supposed darker hijinks, and when John

Bindon was added to the "team" in 77', they were a sinister chaos machine. Supposedly Plant in particular was rather

disgusted even earlier on from the gangster like atmosphere, even Page later on. I wouldn't be surprised if the band itself

thought firing Cole,  and in particular Bindon, could have them possibly physically retaliating. Cole was sacked in 80' ??,

but at that point he was hardly in any shape to do anything. Of course Grant likely vouched for the two maniacs, deflecting any of the band's possible objections.

And to add, I believe the 80' European Tour, aside from Bonham's gastro-intestinal problems, went off without a hitch logistics wise with zero controversy. So, there is that.

Archived