Is this Jimmy?

Mr Cabbage

Hi, was watching The Who film/documentary "Quadrophenia Can you see the real me" repeated on BBC 4 last night. This was first released in 2012 but it's my first time seeing it. The movie features some archive footage from the BBC Panorama current affairs program shot in 1964. Apparently, this Panorama program was a piece on youth culture that was prompted by the Mod/Rocker clashes that began around March that year in places like Brighton etc.

A very short sequence (4/5 seconds) shows a band performing in a London club called Chez Don. This is identified as a Mod club, although the band sound more like a blues band. I have no idea who the group is but the guitarist looks and moves like Jimmy (to me). I know Jimmy was concentrating on session work at this time but I guess it's not impossible that he could be playing live also, maybe a once-off?

Please take a look and let me know what you think and if you can verify one way or the other. Below is a link to the relevant part of the film. The sequence is at about 26:22

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrvyti_quadrophenia-can-you-see-the-real-me-2012-1-2_music

At first glance not sure if it is or not, but I can tell you Chez Don was not strictly limited to mod bands...many rock bands were booked to play there, to include Mickey Finn in 1964 with whom Page is known to have performed with that year. So the footage is interesting.

Here's a link to some ephemera for the Mickey Finn performance:

http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/mickey-finn-1964-agency-letter-party-160655345

Mickey Finn:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Finn_(guitarist)

Chez Don was owned by Don White and located at 538-540 Kingsland Road in Dalston (North London). It originally opened as the Kingsland Imperial Picture Theatre in 1912, and had 500 seats. It was enlarged to 900 seats in 1933, and re-opened as the Plaza Cinema. It closed December 19th 1959, was renovated and reopened as Chez Don in the 1960s. The building was demolished in Apr/May 1999.

Close, but as Steve says it's hard to say as the clip is so short

Interestingly Jimmy did the guitar part in "Can't explain" which is on right after the clip. ( at least I think he did). If he didn't on that track, he did do the guitar parts in some of the Who's stuff. Someone on here will confirm which one(s).

Oh wow..........that mop of hair on the bass player looks identical! The one thing that "bothers" me about this is the length of the guitarists (Jimmy?) hair.........it looks a little too long for contemporaneous photo's of Jimmy (circa 64) but not impossible.....depends on exact timing of this footage and known photos............it's more like 79 length.

Can anyone identify the guitar.....semi like a Gibson Sheraton, but fretboard/headstock doesn't look Gibson. Did Jimmy have his first Strat by 64?

Well, it doesn't seem to match his first Strat but surely he had other guitars:
My thoughts at the moment are for any footage to be Page onstage in London in '64 it's pretty much got to be with Mickey Finn & The Blue Men. With regard to this footage, I'm not so sure it's Page and I'm not so sure it's Mickey Finn & The Blue Men but I haven't ruled it out yet.
Mickey Finn & The Blue Men #2 (January - March 1964)
  • Alan Marks (Lead Vocals)
  • Micky Waller (Lead Guitar) "Mickey Finn"
  • Jimmy Page (Rhythm Guitar/Harp)
  • John Burkitt (Bass)
  • John Cooke (Keyboards/Organ) "Fluff"
  • Richard Brand (Drums)

Steve,

Do you think it would be worthwhile to shoot off a request to jimmypage.com and see if someone over there could ask the man himself? Don't know who runs that and how responsive they are............not sure how else it might be cleared up (he may not remember but it might jog something..........God knows, I sometimes have difficulty remembering what I did yesterday!).

Looking at the vid and comparing it with the photo of 'Mickey Finn/Jimmy Page/Keep Moving' single cover, and based on hair length and general build I reckon the guitarist on the right in the video is not Page but the guy standing to the left of the post in the picture. (If that makes sense?)
The guitarist in the video has long hair at the back and his hair covers his ears, much like the guy on the left of the post on the single cover, and his hair is parted the same. Page at the time seems to have had shorter hair at the back with the hair at the side only just at the bottom of his ears. Also, as the guy turns in the video the jawline just doesn't look like Page, and he seems a little too bulky.
Just my four-penneth'.

In fact, just had a bit of a trawl on t'interweb, and I reckon the guitarist on the right is in fact Mickey Waller (Mickey Finn)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Finn_(guitarist)
To me it looks as though he's playing a Gretsch Country Gentleman (double cutaway) or similar. The fret inlays, the shape of the scratchplate and the volume knob at front of the guitar on the bottom volute are very distinctive.
Something like this:
http://www.gretschguitars.com/products/index.php?partno=2401255822

The guy on the left is actually playing a Fender Precision bass (for the nerds out there, you can see the shiny metal cover over the bridge at the back).

Steve,

Do you think it would be worthwhile to shoot off a request to jimmypage.com and see if someone over there could ask the man himself? Don't know who runs that and how responsive they are............not sure how else it might be cleared up (he may not remember but it might jog something..........God knows, I sometimes have difficulty remembering what I did yesterday!).

I'll send a link to this thread directly to Jimmy's confidants and ask for feedback. May also be possible to reach the original band mates.

Hi,

Just identified the song the band is playing.............guess what........the track is called "Pills" recorded by Mickey Finn &The Blue Men with Jimmy Page in March 64........ The plot thickens!

Yes, you're right!

Hi Steve..........cool. As woz70 says above it could be Mickey Finn (Waller) himself, comparing it to the single cover. The most convincing part to me is the guitarists "chicken-necking" in the last couple of seconds..........looks very "Page".

Hi Steve..........cool. As woz70 says above it could be Mickey Finn (Waller) himself, comparing it to the single cover. The most convincing part to me is the guitarists "chicken-necking" in the last couple of seconds..........looks very "Page".

So far as I know Jimmy only contributed rhythm guitar and harp when he performed onstage with Mickey Finn (which would seem to rule the bassist out altogether) so the guitarist is most like Mickey Finn (Waller). Even so, it's interesting to see live footage of the band he'd been performing with in early 1964.

Archived