Perth, Australia - Feb. 16, 1972?

sam_webmaster

Hi PP

One of my sources cited The West Australian as their source. The Western Australian State Library online info for their holdings of this newspaper indicate it has been digitised (& can be searched online) up to 1954 & after 2004 - so 1972 is still only available on microfilm. Rats.

Hi WLL, thank you, The Western Australian Historical Society checked, not any thus far...thanks for the info. noted your info...

• 3 weeks later...

Please accept my apologies for not posting this information any sooner.

As promised I went to the photo file that I have and found the image that I mentioned.

Whilst looking, to my surprise, I found another image from Perth 1972.

A mistake that I have not picked up on in 25 years as the file has 2 copies of the same image.
One of them is marked on the rear and the other isn't.

I am posting the following:

1) The photographic print that was used in the newspaper article titled, "PERTH A RIOT, A DRUG RAID".

2) A close-up of the roadie’s shirt where you can clearly see that it is a Zeppelin band shirt and it has a flag on it, my guess Sweden.

3) The NEW, totally unpublished image, here for the first time.

4) The rear of the new image and the inscription. I think it is quite clear.

Hope you all enjoy it, even though it is 42 years late!

post-28841-0-24951500-1414291485_thumb.j

post-28841-0-84215400-1414291487_thumb.j

post-28841-0-75815900-1414291490_thumb.j

post-28841-0-01431100-1414291493_thumb.j

Please accept my apologies for not posting this information any sooner.

As promised I went to the photo file that I have and found the image that I mentioned.

Whilst looking, to my surprise, I found another image from Perth 1972.

A mistake that I have not picked up on in 25 years as the file has 2 copies of the same image.

One of them is marked on the rear and the other isn't.

I am posting the following:

1) The photographic print that was used in the newspaper article titled, "PERTH A RIOT, A DRUG RAID".

2) A close-up of the roadie’s shirt where you can clearly see that it is a Zeppelin band shirt and it has a flag on it, my guess Sweden.

3) The NEW, totally unpublished image, here for the first time.

4) The rear of the new image and the inscription. I think it is quite clear.

Hope you all enjoy it, even though it is 42 years late!

...Thank you for posting this!! if there is a Name of Photographer mentioned in the article or photos, that would be very helpful... Swedish soundcheck photo in Aus. Publication? But your description does mention that it is LZ, First Tour Aus. photo.. . Thank you, for furthering the search on this very interesting photo...

**Edited for update, I see the same article posted by Official Site/Admin above.. apologies..

^ Absolutely spot on. The only picture I have seen is the one in Dave Lewis' book the Concert Files of the soundcheck. The stage at Subiaco was very distinctive, here is a picture of Elton John doing soundcheck at Subiaco in 1971

e167p1.jpg

Astonishing picture of Subiaco Oval (now known as Patersons Stadium). The ground today looks totally unrecognisable. You can work out the photo above was taken from the 3-Tier Stand at the western end, before they redeveloped the site. You can still see where the goal square is by that rectangular looking patch on the ground, to the left of the stage. The stand in the top left hand corner is the old Members Stand, one of the first big structures built at the oval.

Astonishing picture of Subiaco Oval (now known as Patersons Stadium). The ground today looks totally unrecognisable. You can work out the photo above was taken from the 3-Tier Stand at the western end, before they redeveloped the site. You can still see where the goal square is by that rectangular looking patch on the ground, to the left of the stage. The stand in the top left hand corner is the old Members Stand, one of the first big structures built at the oval.

Unrecognisable, except for the wire, boundary fence which has probably been there since Adam was a boy.

The new stadium will be amazing when it is completed.

...Thank you for posting this!! if there is a Name of Photographer mentioned in the article or photos, that would be very helpful... Swedish soundcheck photo in Aus. Publication? But your description does mention that it is LZ, First Tour Aus. photo.. . Thank you, for furthering the search on this very interesting photo...

**Edited for update, I see the same article posted by Official Site/Admin above.. apologies..

Sorry but there is no mention of the name of the photographer.

Unrecognisable, except for the wire, boundary fence which has probably been there since Adam was a boy.

The new stadium will be amazing when it is completed.

Prefer the old Subiaco Oval, with the grassy hill embankment you could stand or sit down on, enjoy an ice cold beer with mates, and kick a footy around. It's becoming a concrete canyon now. Sitting room only with low-strength beer but charged at full-price. Yuck.

Prefer the old Subiaco Oval, with the grassy hill embankment you could stand or sit down on, enjoy an ice cold beer with mates, and kick a footy around. It's becoming a concrete canyon now. Sitting room only with low-strength beer but charged at full-price. Yuck.

Low strength beer, is not beer.

• 1 month later...

....Hi Fans, I just wanted to update this photo search, I am very thankful to State Library of VIctoria, and State Library of West. Australia...There are no further photos, other than the Go-Set Coverage, which are widely available on-line...

Likely, (not confirmed) it is Photographer David Porter, aka Jacques L'Affrique for LZ/Perth concert and text factually is by Colin Hughes Writer; I will see what more is available on this Veteran Photographer...

According to the State Library of Western Australia, the Go-Set, Front Cover of Robert Plant this photo is not credited to anyone, rather unknown whereabouts of the photo...

Very indebted to the Go-Set Publications on-line for their time to answer my inquiry...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Go-Set-Magazine-other-Phillip-Frazer-Publications/271130149596617

....Hi Fans, I just wanted to update this photo search, I am very thankful to State Library of VIctoria, and State Library of West. Australia...There are no further photos, other than the Go-Set Coverage, which are widely available on-line...

Likely, (not confirmed) it is Photographer David Porter, aka Jacques L'Affrique for LZ/Perth concert and text factually is by Colin Hughes Writer; I will see what more is available on this Veteran Photographer...

According to the State Library of Western Australia, the Go-Set, Front Cover of Robert Plant this photo is not credited to anyone, rather unknown whereabouts of the photo...

Very indebted to the Go-Set Publications on-line for their time to answer my inquiry...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Go-Set-Magazine-other-Phillip-Frazer-Publications/271130149596617

Thank you for the update.

Amazing after all this time that there are still some major gaps that would complete the puzzle.

Amazing after all this time that there are still some major gaps that would complete the puzzle.

Rembetis, tks, the Former Photographer has very limited background access, as he left the Photography profession decades ago, as I have come to know.. I have submitted inquiry herein to the link, and few other art galleries where his work was exhibited...I will post response, as soon as I receive any update.

Here is one interview and some vintage photos with the rare photographer, he has photographed Led Zeppelin, likely in Melbourne...but nevertheless he would have knowledge of Perth, Opening Tour...

http://www.boudist.com/2010/music-photography/unreal-rock-the-photographs-of-jacques-laffrique

• 4 weeks later...

.....here is photo from Perth, clearly LZ on Subiaco Stadium from this link with many photos from Australia Tour...

">http://LZPerth72Photo_zpsf82ac253.jpg

I am very thankful to Veteran Photographer Philip Morris/Aus; for confirming that he photographed LZ in Sydney only, and it is for March 11, 1972 Go-Set publication.

He is sending this photos for us the fans...Thank you Philip!!

LZphilipmorris_zpsf0eb5139.jpeg

David Porter Exhibition by Penrith Regional Art Gallery/his photos acquired by Penrith Art Gallery, more than 250 in :Unreal Rock"... I have written to the art gallery but no response to date... If any one can access this in Aus. please update photos. Thus far, from all of the Go-Set Photographers, Philip Morris, Colin Beard, David Porter....it is likely David Porter, for Perth, who has no public contact except the work in this art gallery...

http://www.penrithregionalgallery.org/about-us/collection/new-acquisitions/david-porter/

Here is March 4th 1972 Go-Set, Photos credited to David Porter... from RoyalOrleans.com (March 11, 1972 Go-Set was by Philip Morris, I cannot find link readily)

Ac124 w/tks posted scans ...

http://www.royal-orleans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35527&hilit=1968+1980+articles&start=75

I will update further as info. becomes available..

,,,links to aus. photos/with only one Perth Subiaco Stadium Clarity...above..

http://www.ledzeppelin.ru/gallery/index.php?/category/75

.....here is photo from Perth, clearly LZ on Subiaco Stadium from this link with many photos from Australia Tour...

">http://LZPerth72Photo_zpsf82ac253.jpg

This photo was in Dave Lewis' book, 'Led Zeppelin - A Celebration' and listed as being from the afternoons soundcheck. Might be worth chasing it up with him if he a larger scan or more photos from this date.

Yes I attended this exhibition @ the S H Ervin Gallery and was fantastic, unfortunately no cameras where allowed but there were many pics that I'd never seen.

• 4 weeks later...

...Veteran Photographer David Porter has responded with this info for the fans as of this week to me...with thanks to Penrith Art Gallery. I very much wanted to hear his response for Perth photos possbiility. That leaves writer Journalist Colin James as just about the only possbiility, who penned the Perth article in Go-Set, thus far it is none of the photographers mentioned herein in this discussion who could have photographed LZ in Perth...

"whilst there is no doubt I did photograph LZ when they were at Kooyong in Melbourne on tour I can't seem to locate the negs. this is unfortunate as I would very much like to help you. I do indeed remember Jimmy Page in fact I am the same age as he. indeed sorry I can't help but I will keep looking cheers David"..........

...Veteran Photographer David Porter has responded with this info for the fans as of this week to me...with thanks to Penrith Art Gallery. I very much wanted to hear his response for Perth photos possbiility. That leaves writer Journalist Colin James as just about the only possbiility, who penned the Perth article in Go-Set, thus far it is none of the photographers mentioned herein in this discussion who could have photographed LZ in Perth...

"whilst there is no doubt I did photograph LZ when they were at Kooyong in Melbourne on tour I can't seem to locate the negs. this is unfortunate as I would very much like to help you. I do indeed remember Jimmy Page in fact I am the same age as he. indeed sorry I can't help but I will keep looking cheers David"..........

Nice detective work PP ?

Nice detective work PP

...RiotHouse, perhaps now Go-Set will come up with further references, I do note that Go-Set is planning a historic book publication of this famed magazine until it ceazed publication in the 70's...

I have mentioned this to David, and I hope to see more of his LZ contribution in Go-Set future book...let's see..

Archived