Need help/ reccomendations with new guitar and amp

azad

Hi guys/gals,

I'm a begginer but used to dable upside down with a r/handed gtr played L/Handed just for fun.

Now I am beggining to learn with proper L/Handed strung guitars and also Basses.

I'm thinking of buying a Fender EC Twinolux amp for my first gtr amp.
http://www.fender.com/en-AU/series/artist-signature/ec-twinolux-120v/

Also my main question is about my first electric guitar.

I had my eye on a Fender 1952 USA Reissue Telecaster (LH) but was talked out of it by my guitar shop owner.

He said that that neck on the reissue will prevent me from string bends because of the curvature and a modern neck would be so much better.
He loves the tele 1952 but stated his concerns.

The other thing he mentioned was that the bridge saddles on the 52 reissue may give me intonation problems if you are fussy like I am with intonation.

Something along the lines of the saddle that holds the one wound string and the other un wound string would never be great with intonation for the wound and unwound string difference.

It made sense what he said.

He stated that if I got a modern neck and a different bridge with all the other USA 1952 bits as ussual that it would keep the same 1952 reissue sound but with better playability/feel and intonation.

The site he mentioned was 'The Stratosphere).
http://www.stratosphereparts.com/

They use all original USA parts if requested but are a little dear.
He said he will put it together for me as a (L.Handed) model and it would be awesome. Better than a Fender custom shop according to him?

Just wanted to know if any of you guys/ gals had any feedback or recommendations regarding this.

I do want a great guitar.

Thanks if anyone responds. :)

He seems to know what he is talking about. The fretboard radius on the '52 Reissue is I believe 7.5" and when you do bends the note dies out too soon. A modern radius will be more in the 9-12" range and better for bending notes. I have bought parts from the Stratosphere before and they are always as advertised. They seem to be dismantling new Fenders by the boatload and selling them as parts. Your shop should be able to put together a Tele that looks like a '52 but plays much easier. Good Luck with your search.

He seems to know what he is talking about. The fretboard radius on the '52 Reissue is I believe 7.5" and when you do bends the note dies out too soon. A modern radius will be more in the 9-12" range and better for bending notes. I have bought parts from the Stratosphere before and they are always as advertised. They seem to be dismantling new Fenders by the boatload and selling them as parts. Your shop should be able to put together a Tele that looks like a '52 but plays much easier. Good Luck with your search.

Thank you Mullard,

I appreciate your feedback. :D

I had a 1982 Fender '52 Reissue Tele, the neck was good for chords but lead work was a little tricky with that small radius. You would need a bridge with the 6 individual saddles if you are that picky about your intonation.

Cool. Thats the kind of bridge he actually mentioned as well. :)

It's still a USA tele bridge with 6 sadles but can't remember the exact one he mentioned.

Yes, I'm super fussy with intonation.

I find it very hard to find a good gtr set up for left handed gtrs.

Iv'e taken my Vinatge Stingray(copy) bass to one of Melbournes finest and ended up taking the screw driver to it myself. :o

I was not impressed at all.

You have been very helpful Mulllard. :)

Do you still own and play the 82 '52' reissue Tele?

Also, what do you think about the Fender EC Twinolux amp for my first gtr amp.

http://www.fender.co...-twinolux-120v/

I know it's new so I guess not many people have played it?

I sold the Tele a few months ago, I prefer my '59 Les Paul Reissue, as for the amp...it depends on what you want for a basic tone, what style music will you be playing? That's quite the amp for your first. I haven't played one of those but I have played Tweed clones along with a real 1958 Fender Bassman. and a 1953 Tweed Deluxe. Cool amps but not for heavy rock or metal. Blues and blues rock should be fine.

Nice, your '59 Les Paul Reissue sounds great. Will head down the Gibson track some time. :)

Music style atm is Blues and blues rock so as you said that amp should be very nice for that.

When I get into more lead and more prficiant at my scales and my heaviness may appear I will look at Gibsons and I also have an old early Marshall head 1970's 4 input Super Bass JMP that's been moded for gtr.

Thats gonna be for heavier stuff and hopefully recording as well.

Cheers Mullard. :)

Hi Zish,

Thanks for putting this vid up mate.

Very impressive lead playing my friend. :)

Your 1970's pre law suit Ibanez Les Paul copy and your Marshall MG 100DFX certainly cut through and sound great Zish.

I'm really thinking about a Gibson now over the Tele????

I'm just gonna have to find a shop where there are some lefties to try of both Gibsons and Tele's otherwise I'm buying blind which is not a great idea. Haven't found any shops in my area that have any of those.

Why couldn't I have forced myself to be right handed. :/

Hi Again.

I'm not sure that these are posting but here's another.

ZISH.

Hey Zish,

They are posting no prob. :)

I like your playing a lot.

You got some decent chops my friend and your own style which is cool.

Thank you for sharing and I hope to be able to move my fingers in nice slow hand style too one day.

How long have you been playing?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Zish,

Thanks for putting this vid up mate.

Very impressive lead playing my friend. :)

Your 1970's pre law suit Ibanez Les Paul copy and your Marshall MG 100DFX certainly cut through and sound great Zish.

I'm really thinking about a Gibson now over the Tele????

I'm just gonna have to find a shop where there are some lefties to try of both Gibsons and Tele's otherwise I'm buying blind which is not a great idea. Haven't found any shops in my area that have any of those.

Why couldn't I have forced myself to be right handed. :/

Hi azad.

On a personal note, I would stay left handed, only because you will be adding a problem where there isn't one by going right handed, just a thought. I'm sure that you will find a leftie, although I'm saying this and my daughter is left handed but naturally played right handed, when she started. She actually asked me which way to play, left or right handed, I just said see what is comfortable. I know it probably would introduce yet another problem but what about getting a right hander and restring it to left handed?

Just thinking out load here. I hope I haven't mudded the water further.

ZISH.

Hey Zish,

They are posting no prob. :)

I like your playing a lot.

You got some decent chops my friend and your own style which is cool.

Thank you for sharing and I hope to be able to move my fingers in nice slow hand style too one day.

How long have you been playing?

Iv'e been playing about 40 years. I should be a lot better.

ZISH.

Hi Zish.

Sorry for replying late to this post.

I've been away from computers etc for a little while.

Thank you for your suggestions.

I will stick left handed.

It's just I used to muck around on right handed guitars but played it upside down left handed so the strings were the wrong way around.

Now I have bit the bullet and started re learning with proper left handed guitars strung correctly for left handers.

It's all new to me and like starting from scratch.

I won't give up though and I am determined to constantly improve and to one day soon play some of the stuff I used to. Not that I was good because I wasn't.

I just had some finger picking and certain feel stuff down which now is all gone and needing to re learn.

I have thought about restringing a good right handed guitar but there is new nuts and perhaps new bridges, and then there is the cutaway problem from the right handed body like on strats etc.

I will just get a made up L/handed guitar form fender bits I think.

Thanks so much for your help though Zish.

It is very much appreciated. :)

Hi Zish.

Sorry for replying late to this post.

I've been away from computers etc for a little while.

Thank you for your suggestions.

I will stick left handed.

It's just I used to muck around on right handed guitars but played it upside down left handed so the strings were the wrong way around.

Now I have bit the bullet and started re learning with proper left handed guitars strung correctly for left handers.

It's all new to me and like starting from scratch.

I won't give up though and I am determined to constantly improve and to one day soon play some of the stuff I used to. Not that I was good because I wasn't.

I just had some finger picking and certain feel stuff down which now is all gone and needing to re learn.

I have thought about restringing a good right handed guitar but there is new nuts and perhaps new bridges, and then there is the cutaway problem from the right handed body like on strats etc.

I will just get a made up L/handed guitar form fender bits I think.

Thanks so much for your help though Zish.

It is very much appreciated. :)

That's it, just keep on keeping on. It will pay in the end.

Speak soon.

All the best.

zish.

Archived