87 songs ranked

Levee

I think OTHAFA is great, but surely Stairway is a better tune; more complex. Achilles Last Stand definitely should be in the top 10. It didn't sound like anything else anyone had done before then.

One person's opinion is no more valid than anyone else's. At least he tried to list some reasons for his opinions though.

Also absurd that How Many More Times is in the bottom half. Robert is at his best in that recording.

I have always thought that Kashmir was an overrated tune, but I am probably alone among fans for thinking so. To me it has always sounded like part of a movie soundtrack.

I think OTHAFA is great, but surely Stairway is a better tune; more complex. Achilles Last Stand definitely should be in the top 10. It didn't sound like anything else anyone had done before then.

One person's opinion is no more valid than anyone else's. At least he tried to list some reasons for his opinions though.

Also absurd that How Many More Times is in the bottom half. Robert is at his best in that recording.

I have always thought that Kashmir was an overrated tune, but I am probably alone among fans for thinking so. To me it has always sounded like part of a movie soundtrack.

Kashmir is a great tune, but the first second always sounds like bad quality to me.

They include La Drone for completists yet no Jennings Farm Blues or Keys To The Highway! La la was there

That is strange that those two songs were absent from the list. They could of also added those from the WLL medleys from TSRTS, HTWWW and BBC as well to be a truly complete list.

My extremely unofficial top 10:

10. The Rain Song

9. Misty Mountain Hop

8. Going to California

7. Ramble On

6. That's the Way

5. Trampled Underfoot

4. Thank You

3. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

2. Since I've Been Loving You

1. Kashmir

Thinking about it, those are probably the only Zeppelin songs you ever hear on the radio, if you're lucky.

What a crappy list. Did these 'we' actually listen to the music or just throw the songs in a randomizer?

There is far more than that by LZ that is played on radio on a regular basis. That's The Way and Rain Sond, don't get a lot of air play!

Well, maybe my local radio station sucks then. :D Or Rocks, depending on how you look at it. They were paying tribute to Bonham on the anniversary of his passing, so they played The Rain Song. I thought they could have picked a more Bonham-y song....

• 2 weeks later...

It's no wonder Spin's circulation is down.. What an annoying article … A horrible top to bottom order.

This "journalist" takes great pleasure on dumping all over Presence at every chance he gets..

FOR YOUR LIFE at number 77 was enough to sour me on the whole article… and he listed LA Drone as a SONG! Come on...

I'd like to point out a few mistakes that a journalist who feels qualified to do a top to bottom list on Led Zeppelin songs should probably know...

John Paul Jones did not play piano on Rock and Roll … Ian Stewart did.. just like he did on Boogie With Stu..

The incredible drum sound on WTLB was achieved by 1 MIC hanging from the 2nd floor of the stairwell at Headley Grange … not 2 mics..

2 mics were set up, but they wound up using only one for the recording..

Puff Daddy didn't sample Kashmir for Come With Me... Jimmy Page re-played it for the song...

If anything, Trampled Underfoot owes a debt Stevie Wonder's Superstition. Long Train Running is a bit of a stretch...

and I don't see a connection between Fool In The Rain and Bennie and The Jets… at all...

We're Gonna Groove is not a Led Zeppelin 2 outtake.

I'm sure there are many more things that can be pointed out..

Sorry crazy day at work…

It's no wonder Spin's circulation is down.. What an annoying article A horrible top to bottom order.

This "journalist" takes great pleasure on dumping all over Presence at every chance he gets..

FOR YOUR LIFE at number 77 was enough to sour me on the whole article and he listed LA Drone as a SONG! Come on...

I'd like to point out a few mistakes that a journalist who feels qualified to do a top to bottom list on Led Zeppelin songs should probably know...

John Paul Jones did not play piano on Rock and Roll Ian Stewart did.. just like he did on Boogie With Stu..

The incredible drum sound on WTLB was achieved by 1 MIC hanging from the 2nd floor of the stairwell at Headley Grange not 2 mics..

2 mics were set up, but they wound up using only one for the recording..

Puff Daddy didn't sample Kashmir for Come With Me... Jimmy Page re-played it for the song...

If anything, Trampled Underfoot owes a debt Stevie Wonder's Superstition. Long Train Running is a bit of a stretch...

and I don't see a connection between Fool In The Rain and Bennie and The Jets at all...

We're Gonna Groove is not a Led Zeppelin 2 outtake.

I'm sure there are many more things that can be pointed out..

Sorry crazy day at work

Well said. Trying to rank their songs is ridiculous and a losing battle. I say throw them in alphabetical order and be done with it.

Archived