1979: Copenhagen v Knebworth

Nutrocker

^^^^ completely agree... i think the bits and peaces stuff makes the LZ live catalog a bit awkward... kinda like BBC sessions even though i like a lot of the tracks its a bit all over the place... i know for Knebworth and EC some of the performances were deemed subpar but a full uninterupted show warts and all just fits with the attitude the swagger the prowess of Led Zeppelin... holding back just seems contradictory and detrimental...

Well we all know how Jimmy is, perfectionist to the nth degree, I think Zep shows should be enjoyed in full, there's a reason it was "A night with Led Zeppelin" instead of just Zeppelin in concert, I want the whole thing, the atmosphere means more to me than not hearing a bum note or two, I want it, warts and all!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yes "king of 77" I like your post,,,,I came across a bootleg (vinyl no less) titled " melancholy danish page boys get it on" the Copenhagen warm up gigs, Sad to say I let it slip away and don't have it ,supposedly these gigs were not rehearsed and the band was coming off a long hiatus playing wise.it kills me more that it was a double vinyl lp. That's the bad news .now the good news. In 1980 I came across the first vinyl bootleg for knebworth, check it out this is so cool. You could here the crickets chirping and all the sound that makes for alive version it was raw and live as could when the DVD versions came out ,thanks to tech...they cleaned it up (tape) and you don't here any of the audience chirps ,crickets nor the natural hums of the amps.now you get a clean tape w clapping.in between songs.in my opinoin it took something from it rather then make it sound better but that's technology for ya!!!!

Hello ttomtomh, bonzos clickety clack ring ting sound on the drums might have been caused by an unusual cool breeze that night,we know the drums were in tune up until that point. Temps effect the sound. Look at the DVD knebworth audience they had on hats and light sweaters. And it was summertime right?

Hello ttomtomh, bonzos clickety clack ring ting sound on the drums might have been caused by an unusual cool breeze that night,we know the drums were in tune up until that point. Temps effect the sound. Look at the DVD knebworth audience they had on hats and light sweaters. And it was summertime right?

That's the English countryside for ya, kinda like San Francisco in summer.

• 1 month later...

Will always prefer knebworth. An experience, memories and really good audience tapes but then I'm biased.

As for the weather ... On the 11th Robert says it didn't rain. Thankfully it didn't during the day but it hammered down sometime after we got into the site in the early hours of the morning. Got there in the dark, crawled out of my sleeping bag in the morning to see 100,000+ people.

Will always prefer knebworth. An experience, memories and really good audience tapes but then I'm biased.

As for the weather ... On the 11th Robert says it didn't rain. Thankfully it didn't during the day but it hammered down sometime after we got into the site in the early hours of the morning. Got there in the dark, crawled out of my sleeping bag in the morning to see 100,000+ people.

Ever heard the Copenhagen audience tapes? Maybe the best ever.

Best ever? C'mon. I do enjoy the warm up shows, but Knebworth 8/4 has such a great set list, performance, vibe, and energy. Love the run of songs: Kashmir, TUF, SA, ALS, ITE. It's what the '77 shows were missing in the 2nd half - energy.

Best ever? C'mon. I do enjoy the warm up shows, but Knebworth 8/4 has such a great set list, performance, vibe, and energy. Love the run of songs: Kashmir, TUF, SA, ALS, ITE. It's what the '77 shows were missing in the 2nd half - energy.

I'm talking about the sound quality, that's why I highlighted really good audience tapes. ;) Copenhagen has all those songs too. :bubble:

Oh yeah, Copenhagen indeed. I have both shows plus both Knebworth shows and I will take Copenhagen any day. However, Aug 4th was damn good too, I just prefer the feel and vibe of the Copenhagen shows, plus, it has one of the best Ten Years Gone done live.

I have always believed Jimmy performed better in general in smaller venues, he is, or was a shy guy and I believe the stadium gigs really stressed him out.

Oh yeah, Copenhagen indeed. I have both shows plus both Knebworth shows and I will take Copenhagen any day. However, Aug 4th was damn good too, I just prefer the feel and vibe of the Copenhagen shows, plus, it has one of the best Ten Years Gone done live.

I have always believed Jimmy performed better in general in smaller venues, he is, or was a shy guy and I believe the stadium gigs really stressed him out.

:goodpost:

I just want to say that on the 7/24 gig the band, Page in particular has his mitts greased straightaway and the band continues on with

A ferocious attack. Even the 75' gigs usually had a few dips , and toss out 77', this show has almost perfect pacing, something IMO

Zep always had some trouble with.

I dunno, I think smaller venues is more Robert's thing. After all look at the venues they played in 1980 (which Robert said smaller venues was a condition of agreeing to the European and pending American tour), and it's part of the reason why he walked out on Page & Plant in 98. Jimmy may have played better in smaller venues, but he definitely wants bigger audiences.

this show has almost perfect pacing, something IMO Zep always had some trouble with.

I'd be inclined to say the 1979 shows were the most perfectly paced shows Zeppelin ever put on. Pretty easy listens as far as sustaining the interest goes- no epic drum solos, Noise solos or "Dazed And Confused" makes a big difference.

Bad pacing is something that would again afflict the band in 1980.

Right place at the right time I suppose. I remember the show being announced on The Old Grey Whistle Test ( a great BBC music show). My phone rung straight away by mates screaming WE MUST GET TICKETS !!

It was a great day. One I will remember forever. Here are some pictures I took: Note how close I got to the stage in the 1st pic :D

post-4226-0-97679800-1424099410_thumb.jp

post-4226-0-97679800-1424099410_thumb.jp

post-4226-0-39652100-1424099518_thumb.jp

post-4226-0-26836800-1424099484_thumb.jp

I'm talking about the sound quality, that's why I highlighted really good audience tapes. ;) Copenhagen has all those songs too. :bubble:

take your point but the ones i got are really good. I wasn't at Copenhagen so am probably not the most objective reviewer of knebworth.

Right place at the right time I suppose. I remember the show being announced on The Old Grey Whistle Test ( a great BBC music show). My phone rung straight away by mates screaming WE MUST GET TICKETS !!

It was a great day. One I will remember forever. Here are some pictures I took: Note how close I got to the stage in the 1st pic :D

attachicon.gifscan0005.jpg

attachicon.gifscan0005.jpg

attachicon.gifscan0007.jpg

love the pics, I don't think I'd have seen the stage that good with a telescope from where I was. :-)

Archived