Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

ScarletMacaw

My only curiosity is how the sale of Rolling Stone affects the HoF, if at all. With Rolling Stone under new ownership and maybe even dissolved, will that finally remove Jann Wenner and Rolling Stone from the Hall of Fame proceedings? With Wenner's bias against heavy metal/hard rock gone, maybe some long ignored groups will at last get a nod?

I have selected my 5 votes for the 2018 RRHOF Class:

• MOODY BLUES
  • KATE BUSH
  • MC5
  • NINA SIMONE
  • SISTER ROSETTA THARPE

sister_rosetta.jpg?itok=35oiP25-

Sister Rosetta Tharpe was the first guitar heroine of rock & roll.

Her heartfelt gospel folksiness gave way to her roaring mastery of her trusty Gibson SG, which she wielded on a level that rivaled the best of her male contemporaries.

Sister Rosetta Tharpe is one of the essential figures in the history of rock and roll.

If she had not been there as a model and inspiration, Elvis Presley, Little Richard, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis and other rock originators would have had different careers. No one deserves more to be in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Sister Rosetta became famous in 1938 with a record called “Rock Me.” She was a star through the 1940’s, a black woman singing gospel music to the accompaniment of her own driving electric guitar – howling and stamping. Her 1945 recording “Strange Things Happening Every Day” has been credited as the first gospel song to cross over to the “race” (later called “R&B”) charts – reaching Number Two and becoming an early model for rock and roll.

She was a sensation, selling out arenas into the 1950’s. In 1947, Sister Rosetta was the first person to put a 14-year-old boy named Little Richard Penniman on a stage. It changed Little Richard’s life – he decided right then to become a performer.

In 1951, twenty-five thousand fans paid to attend her on-stage wedding at Griffith Stadium in Washington DC. She was the hottest act on stage with a guitar. She became a model for Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis. Johnny Cash called her his favorite singer and biggest inspiration.

By the early Sixties the musical revolution she inspired had forgotten her – so Sister Rosetta went to England and played electric guitar for the young blues fans of London and Liverpool. Without Sister Rosetta Tharpe, rock and roll would be a different music. She is the founding mother who gave rock’s founding fathers the idea.
selected discography

“Rock Me,” “That’s All,” “The Lonesome Road” • (1938) “Shout, Sister, Shout!” • (1942) “Strange Things Happening Every Day” (1945) • “Nobody’s Fault But Mine” (1949) • Gospel Train (1956) • Sister On Tour (1961)

Oh, and yes, I'm giving the poo poo to Bon Jovi, Radiohead, The Cars, and The J. Geils Band. :nhl_checking:

A typical yawner of a list that once again proves what a joke the HoF is. A mix of artists who should have been in there years if not decades beforehand (Moody Blues, MC5, Judas Priest, Nina Simone) with others who are only there because they sold a lot of records (Bon Jovi? Seriously?).

As I mentioned before, it should be renamed to the Music Hall Of Fame, as many artists have nothing to do with Rock or Roll that are in (Madonna).

I agree with Stryder that with Wenner selling off the magazine he claims talks about music, that hopefully he will step down from having such a stranglehold on who gets selected for nominations as well. It's such a joke how they have ignored so many Hard Rock & Metal acts, the easily should be in.

On 10/5/2017 at 5:21 PM, The Rover said:

I have selected my 5 votes for the 2018 RRHOF Class:

• MOODY BLUES
  • KATE BUSH
  • MC5
  • NINA SIMONE
  • SISTER ROSETTA THARPE

sister_rosetta.jpg?itok=35oiP25-

Sister Rosetta Tharpe was the first guitar heroine of rock & roll.

Her heartfelt gospel folksiness gave way to her roaring mastery of her trusty Gibson SG, which she wielded on a level that rivaled the best of her male contemporaries.

Sister Rosetta Tharpe is one of the essential figures in the history of rock and roll.

If she had not been there as a model and inspiration, Elvis Presley, Little Richard, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis and other rock originators would have had different careers. No one deserves more to be in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

Sister Rosetta became famous in 1938 with a record called “Rock Me.” She was a star through the 1940’s, a black woman singing gospel music to the accompaniment of her own driving electric guitar – howling and stamping. Her 1945 recording “Strange Things Happening Every Day” has been credited as the first gospel song to cross over to the “race” (later called “R&B”) charts – reaching Number Two and becoming an early model for rock and roll.

She was a sensation, selling out arenas into the 1950’s. In 1947, Sister Rosetta was the first person to put a 14-year-old boy named Little Richard Penniman on a stage. It changed Little Richard’s life – he decided right then to become a performer.

In 1951, twenty-five thousand fans paid to attend her on-stage wedding at Griffith Stadium in Washington DC. She was the hottest act on stage with a guitar. She became a model for Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis. Johnny Cash called her his favorite singer and biggest inspiration.

By the early Sixties the musical revolution she inspired had forgotten her – so Sister Rosetta went to England and played electric guitar for the young blues fans of London and Liverpool. Without Sister Rosetta Tharpe, rock and roll would be a different music. She is the founding mother who gave rock’s founding fathers the idea.
selected discography

“Rock Me,” “That’s All,” “The Lonesome Road” • (1938) “Shout, Sister, Shout!” • (1942) “Strange Things Happening Every Day” (1945) • “Nobody’s Fault But Mine” (1949) • Gospel Train (1956) • Sister On Tour (1961)

Oh, and yes, I'm giving the poo poo to Bon Jovi, Radiohead, The Cars, and The J. Geils Band. :nhl_checking:

I would have thought Sister Rosetta Tharpe and the MC5 were already in by now? In Sister Rosetta's case, if not as a regular inductee then as an early pioneer/influence for sure.

Arguing who belongs and who doesn't is irrelevant at this point, anyway. Once they let that gasbag Billy Joel in, the place was contaminated and rendered a sham.

But it makes for lively debate and conversation. I'll give you Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Rover, but I gotta draw the line at Nina Simone...and I say that as one who loves Nina and considers her one of the Top 5 women singers of all-time. But she is not rock and roll. She may have covered some Bob Dylan tunes later on, and rockers covered her songs (David Bowie, Jeff Buckley), but her main mode and impact was as a jazz pianist/vocalist.

If you put Nina in, you might as well put Billie Holiday, Anita O'Day, and Ella Fitzgerald in, too. I love all those ladies but they ain't rock 'n' roll. Of course, neither was Billy Joel and a bunch of other MOR crap that has been elected.

Sister Rosetta Tharpe, MC5, J. Geils Band, Moody Blues, Kate Bush, and Radiohead get my vote.

• 1 month later...

Archived