Jimmy Page discusses Stairway

truth and beauty

....Truth and Beauty thank you for sharing this Divine Timeless moment with Jimmy, his heart and soul speaks, and truly generations around the world listen and acknowledge his feelings of colorful passion shared with John Paul Jones, John Bonham, and Robert Pant... "Party of Four and Millons".. Cheers to all!!

Although not my fav Led Zeppelin song, that was a moving interview with Jimmy as he clearly understands who was doing what and how it came up, his love of Robert is clear for all to see when he discusses how the lyrics just started to roll in. The bit about John Paul Jones and the recorders was great, showing how important his contribution was. Jimmy Page is such a special gift for all lovers of music.

^Thanks truth and beauty for the post! A friend sent this to me this morning and I have listened to this a few times already. I will stand by this until the end of my time...this song is magnificent! I have always said that if I was put in a room and told I could only listen to one song...this is it! After all these decades I still get chills almost every time I listen to this song. :yesnod:

^Hi Bayougal65, I to could listen to Jimmy talk about this music all day. I actually wept a little watching this, listening to Jimmy's comments. I cannot wait for the remastered box sets!!

This was so moving to watch Jimmy in this especially knowing the opposite ends how he and Robert feel about the song now. Almost painful.

There was a recent interview with Robert where it sounded like he may have had a change of heart about Stairway:

"One of the events that helped him see Zeppelin anew, Plant says – one of “those few magic moments that hit home” – came when he, Page and Led Zeppelin bassist John Paul Jones were gifted “lifetime contribution to American culture” medals by President Obama at a Kennedy Centre Honors bash on 2 December 2012.

It wasn’t the gongs that did it; rather, it was a gospel choir-elevated cover-version of “Stairway to Heaven” led by the sisters Ann and Nancy Wilson of the American rock band Heart.

“After all the years of hearing the song misinterpreted and played backwards and all of that nonsense, I never thought someone would tap me on the shoulder and say, ‘And by the way, that was a lovely piece – and to prove it here’s another way of looking at it,’” says Plant.

“Barack looked over at me, frowned a little bit, and shrugged his shoulders. I looked back and thought, ‘It’s always been like this, Barack. You can get it wrong a million times, but nobody mentions me and Page floundering our way across the Atlas Mountains with a Nakamichi tape-machine recording Berber tribeswomen.’"

For those of who have dreamed of a "Classic Albums" documentary of anything Zep this is such a tease!

Love it, love his insights, I could listen to Jimmy Page talking about his music all day! :)

My thoughts of the next venture for the three guys would be to do just that - a classic album doco of IV ....

loved the video, thanks so much for posting :)

I for one vote to replace the "on this day" bit with "Listening to vinyl with Jimmy." Just a little clip of Jimmy listening to a tune--doesn't even have to be Zeppelin.

+10000000 times YES!

That would be beyond fantastic...take us to school, Mr. Page!!!

Jimmy gives a narrative on Stairway and how it was composed on this BBC online video .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29550639

Love his reminiscence of Robert writing the lyrics : I'll never forget it ..

I watched this morning T&B...I especially liked how he dwelled on the contributions of each member, how it developed, and how it became timeless piece that it is. And then his smile at end of it all.

Oh and hats off to the BBC production team behind the piece as well!

Fascinating to watch the Master analyzing in quiet reverie his Masterpiece. And very touching too. He listens and we can guess an overflow of images inside his head. I usually loathe nostalgia but this was different. For me Stairway is THE song and I like to think it's for him too.

^Hi Bayougal65, I to could listen to Jimmy talk about this music all day. I actually wept a little watching this, listening to Jimmy's comments. I cannot wait for the remastered box sets!!

Hi Ms. Deb, :wave:

I know! It is a very good time to be a Zep, JP, RP, JPJ, JB lover! :wub:

Jimmy gives a narrative on Stairway and how it was composed on this BBC online video .

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-29550639

Love his reminiscence of Robert writing the lyrics : I'll never forget it ..

Excellent! Thank you for posting this.

Stairway is without a doubt the best magic caught on tape- this is why it is so hated and loved.

Jimmy is just such a engaging, haunting person, tragic yet super human.

I could watch him do this all day, fascinating.

Even a super cynic like me had a lump in my throat at the end.

His love and pride for his band and their achievements shine out here

Very gracious comments regarding both Robert and JPJ.

Hope they appreciate it!

That was very cool, thanks for posting. I agree with everyone, that a whole series could be done and would be very interesting. This made me reflect on what a quiet, introspective experience listening to music can be. I mean there's a certain solitude about listening to records on a record player. With zep's music, whether it's bron yr aur stomp or no quarter, it was always captivating to listen to the records.

Really, a series of Jimmy Page discussing the music like this could be more interesting than, it might get loud...without the rock magazine format of rehashing the artists entire history, which for fans, they've read a thousand times already.

Archived