How best to listen to reissues with bonus content

rm2551

hi all,

I have 1, 2 ,3 and will soon have 4 and HOTH (along with everything eventually)

I have not yet played any disks. I have been on a break from drinking (1 year off) and have a lot of leave in January and am planning a few personal listening sessions (no distractions from family) with a few :drinks: in a really nice recliner and headphones.

So how should I listen to the CD's? I am interested in what order you all think is the best way to digest this.

Main disk first, then the bonus content? vice-versa? all main disks, then all the bonus content? Each track with all its own related material??

I'll will also have Jimmy's book to leaf through. God it's going to be a good holiday! :hurrah:

Well a bit of humour is not bad, but if you got some sort of schedule,you don't have to apply it to music listening I guess! And you can listen to it anyway you want, what you should perhaps do, is listen to the old versions, from old CD's you have and compare it to the new and then listen to the bonus disc!

Wish you all best!

Not shure whether you had any kind of problems, I might be the alcoholic here! ;)

Problematic enough to take a year off - but not too big a problem that I cannot take a year off. ;)

Roll a BIG FAT JOINT, drink a glass of absinth or two, and follow your instincts.

Was thinking of rolling a little something. Problem is, I am all growed up now. Fucked if I would even know who to ask. It's tragic really - feel bloody old when I think about it. I might have to risk a quiet "can you get..." to a few select peeps.

Never tried Absinth. My missus has in a previous life, and she reckons its pretty grouse.

hmmm, might be a helluvu night on the cards.

Newbie here.

So the re-issued albums ... how much better is the sound?

For instance, Bonham's drums on In My Time of Dying - are already bombastic ...are they somehow even bigger?

Further, Out on the Tiles ... I love that song, but always thought it was a little grainy ... not as loud as it could've been.

Point - I'm getting at -- is does the new technology really elevate the music to new levels for the listener?

Thanks

Was thinking of rolling a little something. Problem is, I am all growed up now. Fucked if I would even know who to ask. It's tragic really - feel bloody old when I think about it. I might have to risk a quiet "can you get..." to a few select peeps.

Best of luck! I listened to the original albums first and then the bonus tracks.

• 2 months later...

2 weeks to go. Got all my gear ready.

Klipsch M40 headphones (Got them from an Ozbargains deal last year - 70% off! :yes2:

Some mellowing agents to put me in just the right mood including but not limited to Southern Comfort, Crown Golden Ale, Absinth.

The releases (2CD DE sets on my budget) so far.

My recliner is good to go close to the stereo.

A few nights of solitude squared with the missus so I am in my own space.

Holy crap I am getting excited now..... :hurrah:

• 2 weeks later...

So I get nice and baked last night, get the Klipsch headphones ready, and put the first CD on. I think I was a little too baked - by the end of Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, I was freaking out and had to stop and go outside and look at the stars while contemplating the mind blowing fact that bigly was the second track off their first album. That amazing song, is track 2 off their first album. I was incredulous. LOL. And the sound quality! I am not sure how much are the headphones, but man, that clarity of tracks and overlays. The playing. Just insane. Dazed and Confused. Holy crap. The album as a whole - holy mother of god.

I didn't make it through the live CD as the hour was late and I was sleepy. Will need to do another night soon and scale back the drinks.

What an incredible experience. I cannot emphasise how amazed I was and the enjoyment factor. I really can't.

Mind blown.

And I have the others to listen to over the coming nights. :peace: :hurrah: :thumbsup:

Archived