IMPORTANT LETTER REGARDING THE REUNION SHOW 10.12.07

This is an open letter to anyone interested in the farce that was created around the Led Zeppelin gig. This is my opinion of a ridiculous situation, created almost entirely by one man.

I was one of the unlucky fans who wasn’t worthy of seeing the band through Harvey Goldsmith’s ‘fan ballot’!

I entered over 30 of my friends and family’s names addresses etc as I was so desperate to go, with no joy (I would like to think I can consider myself a ‘real‘ Led Zeppelin fan).

I then followed Harvey’s great advice not to buy a passcode as it wouldn’t work (another lie, because they worked just fine!!). Around this time I emailed Mr Goldsmith’s office on 4 occasions for advice and help, needless to say every email was ignored. No advice, no help, not even a polite f**k off!

By this time I was a desperate man, with mo means of seeing the worlds greatest band I was beginning to have the odd sleepless night, and could see the grey hairs beginning to sprout!

In my desperation I bought a very nice guy’s spare ticket off ebay for over £600 (more than 3 months wage for me, a poor music student who can only work part time!)

When the gig finally happened I made my way to the front (aprox 10 feet from the barrier on Sir Page’s side of the stage) to my horror and disgust I found I was left to stand next to hundreds of people who looked like they were at a funeral! No screaming or shouting, no dancing or singing, some not even clapping, just looking blankly.

I mean you don’t need to be as animated as me, but you must at least let these musical gods know that they are truly loved and worshipped.

Most of the people near me spent half of the gig watching Brian May boogie the night away……. Now he is a legend, but f*** me, we were there to see the greatest band of all time play for the first time in almost 20 years, not watch celebs enjoy the gig!!

I personally blame this whole situation squarely on the shoulders of messer Goldsmith. You, my friend are a joke!

You didn’t want tout’s to get hold of the tickets (fair enough) but in doing so you made sure that 99% of the true Led Zeppelin fans couldn’t attend this once in a lifetime event!

The man who sold me my ticket wasn’t even a massive fan! He didn’t own all the records etc, but he simply typed his details into the ballot and won a passcode. Obviously this in Mr Goldsmiths eyes makes him a true fan! He only bought the tickets because his boss told him he’d be ‘mad if he didn’t‘!!!

This chap then got paid £500 to watch the show while a million other Zep heads cried/ contemplated suicide. So you see, if touts had got hold of the 18,000 tickets (which they most certainly wouldn‘t), supply and demand dictates the tickets would have sold for much cheaper than us real fans had to pay off ebay. Which in turn means that many true fan’s may have been able to attend. I’m sure if the crowd was full of true fans who paid £250 for a ticket, then it wouldn’t have seemed like a morgue for half the gig, and the band would have got the reception they richly deserved.

People like my friend (a true hardcore fan) would have been able to go. My friend looked like he was about to cry at points in this shitty situation he was forced into. He looked for loans etc but the truth was that (at £600 minimum per ticket) he wouldn’t have been able to afford his rent if he bought a ticket, and would have been out on the street, so thanks to Mr Goldsmiths wonderful policy he stayed home feeling sick, while Kate Moss and the like sipped champagne and watched a band they probably don’t really care about

To the God’s Led Zeppelin, first of all, thank you for an AMAZING show, you were just awesome and you haven’t lost it! Secondly, it is my belief that you (like us) were sold out. You could have played to a crowd of the biggest fans who I’m sure would have literally blown you away, if the ballot had been deemed them fit enough to go. Instead you were watched by (in my opinion) 20% REAL fans, and 80% Sunday supporters who were just glad they won a ticket and couldn‘t turn down the opportunity to see you!!

I’m sure we could have forced the guys to play more shows by showing them just how much we loved them! If every person in that arena screamed their names at the top of their voices the roof would have came off….. Instead it stayed firmly bolted on.

If the guys do some more shows (which I believe they must) then they deserve to be watched by a much better crowd, a crowd full of hardcore fans who actually got the opportunity to watch them play.

This gig really should have been the best atmosphere at just about any gig ever. Well for me, it was the worst. Never before has such a great band played to such a poor crowd. If they do choose to play again, it’s not because we made them, which is sad!

So guy’s, if you do tour again please do NOT employ messer Goldsmith to promote it! He sold us all out this time, and I certainly don’t trust him to sort the job out next time.

I’m sure most of the people who attended the gig wont share my opinion (they won tickets, and were very happy), but the I’m sure the millions upon millions of fans who were robbed of the opportunity to see you rock will.

So come on fans of Led Zeppelin it’s time to march, it’s time to speak up. If you agree with me lets find a way of letting sirs Plant, Page, Jones and Bonham know that if they give real fans the opportunity to see them, we will not let them down this time and will repay the favour by giving them the atmosphere their amazing music really deserves.

p.s sorry about the length of the post, but some things need to be said!!!

It doesn't matter how many times you type 'IMPORTANT' in capital letters, your post isn't.

If you had bothered to read the rules you would know that entering more than once got your entry (or in your case all 30) deleted. Probably the reason I managed to get a ticket.

It doesn't matter how many times you type 'IMPORTANT' in capital letters, your post isn't.

If you had bothered to read the rules you would know that entering more than once got your entry (or in your case all 30) deleted. Probably the reason I managed to get a ticket.

that's fine, so long as you are a fan, not one of the many zombies who were at the show!

I don't agree. Without HG there may not have been a reunion at all. Also, this wasn't just a Led Zeppelin show - it was for people to pay respects to the co-founder of Atlantic Records. It was inevitable that there'd be loads of celebrities and people from the business - there always is at these events, and the band has the right to invite who they damn well please. I'm just glad they allocated the floor space for standing. Given the nature of such a high profile event it's a wonder there weren't dinner tables full of fat cats in suits right in front of the stage.

The sad fact is though, with millions attempting to get the chance to obtain 7,000 pairs of tickets, the vast majority of fans are going to be unlucky. There is no way of making sure that only 'real' fans get them - short of a test or exam relating to the band, and that is just ridiculous. Sure some people sold tickets on eBay - that's inevitable, but I'm surprised that not more people did given the prices. This shows you that the majority of people who won the ballot were fans.

I don't agree. Without HG there may not have been a reunion at all. Also, this wasn't just a Led Zeppelin show - it was for people to pay respects to the co-founder of Atlantic Records. It was inevitable that there'd be loads of celebrities and people from the business - there always is at these events, and the band has the right to invite who they damn well please. I'm just glad they allocated the floor space for standing. Given the nature of such a high profile event it's a wonder there weren't dinner tables full of fat cats in suits right in front of the stage.

The sad fact is though, with millions attempting to get the chance to obtain 7,000 pairs of tickets, the vast majority of fans are going to be unlucky. There is no way of making sure that only 'real' fans get them - short of a test or exam relating to the band, and that is just ridiculous. Sure some people sold tickets on eBay - that's inevitable, but I'm surprised that not more people did given the prices. This shows you that the majority of people who won the ballot were fans.

i do agree that maybe they wouldn't have played without HG. if it was him that made this happen then fair play to him. but i'd be very suprised if he was the reason the show happened in the first place. i think that homor belongs to the respect they had for Ahmet Ertegun

I thought the atmosphere was pretty intense. What did you expect, a mosh pit? :rolleyes:

no, not a mosh pit. just some genuine/ deserved appreciation of a great band.

dont get me wrong i saw many people having a great time, but the honest truth is that stood ten feet from the stage i have been in many better crowds with better atmosphere's for lesser bands. lesser band with more passionate followings it seems......that is a little sad in my opinion

I see what this guy is saying -- I thought there'd be way way more excitement around the O2 the day of ---- or even the day before getting tix. But I think people were more just like completely amazed that they were actually going to see Zep and were a little reserved because of this.

I too was really surprised that people werent just losing it, or at least whooping it up every once in a while...

However, you move this show to America and it will be guaranteed craziness in every way.

I see what this guy is saying -- I thought there'd be way way more excitement around the O2 the day of ---- or even the day before getting tix. But I think people were more just like completely amazed that they were actually going to see Zep and were a little reserved because of this.

I too was really surprised that people werent just losing it, or at least whooping it up every once in a while...

However, you move this show to America and it will be guaranteed craziness in every way.

so true!

I sure hope they do.

Yes, full of kids I guess.

I had my share of headbanging at Zeppelin concerts in the 70s, along with Deep purple, Pink Floyd, Rory Gallagher, Ted Nugent etc etc. If I was quieter at the O2 than I used to be 35 years ago then so be it, if that offended anyone, live with it, it dosen't mean I enjoyed it less than I used to, but I sure remembered more about the gig the day after than I used to back then.

well america helped make led zeppelin the legends they are now. we really blew our chance to let them know how much they're loved, if you get the chance (which you definately should) dont ruin it!!

IMPORTANT LETTER? :rolleyes: Need a tissue?

To me it looks like another long winded rant about a topic that was discussed to death months ago.

ok it may not be that important but i wanted people to read it, and putting IMPORTANT sure grabs attention! i do believe we were shafted though and if people dont speak up then we will be shafted again...and again....and again!

and i'm sorry i missed this discussion months ago but i was trying to do something about it then, not simply discuss it.

no, not a mosh pit. just some genuine/ deserved appreciation of a great band.

dont get me wrong i saw many people having a great time, but the honest truth is that stood ten feet from the stage i have been in many better crowds with better atmosphere's for lesser bands. lesser band with more passionate followings it seems......that is a little sad in my opinion

More the age of the crowd in my opinion than a lack of 'true' Zeppelin fans (whatever that means). In any event, I'm a little bit more active than most and was totally getting my whole body into most every song but that's how I express my passion. Everyone does the groove thing differently and Zeppelin can be quite mellow at times. If you take a look at The Song Remains the Same video, even the much younger crowd is quite chill at times and that's 1973! Forget about the Danish TV footage and Supershow, the crowds are sitting down and clapping politely in small clubs! I think Zeppelin definitively has a stunning effect (Hammer of the Gods) that can easily be mistaken for something else.

This is an open letter to anyone interested in the farce that was created around the Led Zeppelin gig. This is my opinion of a ridiculous situation, created almost entirely by one man.

I was one of the unlucky fans who wasn’t worthy of seeing the band through Harvey Goldsmith’s ‘fan ballot’!

I entered over 30 of my friends and family’s names addresses etc as I was so desperate to go, with no joy (I would like to think I can consider myself a ‘real‘ Led Zeppelin fan).

I then followed Harvey’s great advice not to buy a passcode as it wouldn’t work (another lie, because they worked just fine!!). Around this time I emailed Mr Goldsmith’s office on 4 occasions for advice and help, needless to say every email was ignored. No advice, no help, not even a polite f**k off!

By this time I was a desperate man, with mo means of seeing the worlds greatest band I was beginning to have the odd sleepless night, and could see the grey hairs beginning to sprout!

In my desperation I bought a very nice guy’s spare ticket off ebay for over £600 (more than 3 months wage for me, a poor music student who can only work part time!)

When the gig finally happened I made my way to the front (aprox 10 feet from the barrier on Sir Page’s side of the stage) to my horror and disgust I found I was left to stand next to hundreds of people who looked like they were at a funeral! No screaming or shouting, no dancing or singing, some not even clapping, just looking blankly.

I mean you don’t need to be as animated as me, but you must at least let these musical gods know that they are truly loved and worshipped.

Most of the people near me spent half of the gig watching Brian May boogie the night away……. Now he is a legend, but f*** me, we were there to see the greatest band of all time play for the first time in almost 20 years, not watch celebs enjoy the gig!!

I personally blame this whole situation squarely on the shoulders of messer Goldsmith. You, my friend are a joke!

You didn’t want tout’s to get hold of the tickets (fair enough) but in doing so you made sure that 99% of the true Led Zeppelin fans couldn’t attend this once in a lifetime event!

The man who sold me my ticket wasn’t even a massive fan! He didn’t own all the records etc, but he simply typed his details into the ballot and won a passcode. Obviously this in Mr Goldsmiths eyes makes him a true fan! He only bought the tickets because his boss told him he’d be ‘mad if he didn’t‘!!!

This chap then got paid £500 to watch the show while a million other Zep heads cried/ contemplated suicide. So you see, if touts had got hold of the 18,000 tickets (which they most certainly wouldn‘t), supply and demand dictates the tickets would have sold for much cheaper than us real fans had to pay off ebay. Which in turn means that many true fan’s may have been able to attend. I’m sure if the crowd was full of true fans who paid £250 for a ticket, then it wouldn’t have seemed like a morgue for half the gig, and the band would have got the reception they richly deserved.

People like my friend (a true hardcore fan) would have been able to go. My friend looked like he was about to cry at points in this shitty situation he was forced into. He looked for loans etc but the truth was that (at £600 minimum per ticket) he wouldn’t have been able to afford his rent if he bought a ticket, and would have been out on the street, so thanks to Mr Goldsmiths wonderful policy he stayed home feeling sick, while Kate Moss and the like sipped champagne and watched a band they probably don’t really care about

To the God’s Led Zeppelin, first of all, thank you for an AMAZING show, you were just awesome and you haven’t lost it! Secondly, it is my belief that you (like us) were sold out. You could have played to a crowd of the biggest fans who I’m sure would have literally blown you away, if the ballot had been deemed them fit enough to go. Instead you were watched by (in my opinion) 20% REAL fans, and 80% Sunday supporters who were just glad they won a ticket and couldn‘t turn down the opportunity to see you!!

I’m sure we could have forced the guys to play more shows by showing them just how much we loved them! If every person in that arena screamed their names at the top of their voices the roof would have came off….. Instead it stayed firmly bolted on.

If the guys do some more shows (which I believe they must) then they deserve to be watched by a much better crowd, a crowd full of hardcore fans who actually got the opportunity to watch them play.

This gig really should have been the best atmosphere at just about any gig ever. Well for me, it was the worst. Never before has such a great band played to such a poor crowd. If they do choose to play again, it’s not because we made them, which is sad!

So guy’s, if you do tour again please do NOT employ messer Goldsmith to promote it! He sold us all out this time, and I certainly don’t trust him to sort the job out next time.

I’m sure most of the people who attended the gig wont share my opinion (they won tickets, and were very happy), but the I’m sure the millions upon millions of fans who were robbed of the opportunity to see you rock will.

So come on fans of Led Zeppelin it’s time to march, it’s time to speak up. If you agree with me lets find a way of letting sirs Plant, Page, Jones and Bonham know that if they give real fans the opportunity to see them, we will not let them down this time and will repay the favour by giving them the atmosphere their amazing music really deserves.

p.s sorry about the length of the post, but some things need to be said!!!

I think Zeppelin definitively has a stunning effect (Hammer of the Gods) that can easily be mistaken for something else.

Indeed. Most of the folks standing around me were raving mad and dancing as much as the tight space allowed (me included)- but have to admit there were moments where I stood motionless and mesmerised, in utter awe of the "moment", and I did notice a similar reaction from others, ie when Jimmy whips out the bow - you listen !

ok it may not be that important but i wanted people to read it, and putting IMPORTANT sure grabs attention! i do believe we were shafted though and if people dont speak up then we will be shafted again...and again....and again!

I hate to break it to you Ned but getting shafted is just a part of life. This won't be the last time so get used to it. Until you are in a position of power or have some clout in the industry, you as a consumer will continue to get bent over, and then come back for more. If there is a show you really want to see, you are going to bend over and spread your ass cheeks because if you don't there are a thousand others that will.

I know it, you know it, and so does Goldsmith.

Do you really think Goldsmith cares what you or I think? I mean, people were threatening to have him tarred and feathered during the whole ballot debacle. I actually applaud his efforts to keep tickets off of eBay and the hands of scalpers. Even though it turned into a cluster f**k due to poor planning, I think his intentions were good.

Interesting... anyone else up in front think the crowd was too reserved so to speak?

I know I am kicking myself for listening to Harvey and not buying a passcode. I truly believed him and I don't know why now. I can't allow myself to think of it very long though, it's painful.

I was EXACTLY 10 rows back from the stage, right in front of Jimmy Page. I was deafened by people screaming, shouting. People were jumping throwing their arms about. It wasn't moshing, but this wasn't heavy metal!

Stop whining just because you (sorry, your friend) didn't get a ticket. There were people asleep at the gig, there were VIPs there going to the bar all night and chatting. There were people who bought tickets and didn't go! That's life.

I hate to break it to you Ned but getting shafted is just a part of life. This won't be the last time so get used to it. Until you are in a position of power or have some clout in the industry, you as a consumer will continue to get bent over, and then come back for more. If there is a show you really want to see, you are going to bend over and spread your ass cheeks because if you don't there are a thousand others that will.

Do you really think Goldsmith cares what you or I think? I mean, people were threatening to have him tarred and feathered during the whole ballot debacle. I actually applaud his efforts to keep tickets off of eBay and the hands of scalpers. Even though it turned into a cluster f**k due to poor planning, I think his intentions were good.

i agree, good intentions, bad planning. and i know that some will get lucky and most will get shafted. i saw the show so i am one of the lucky ones. i'm sure i will get bent over and spread em again but if you say nothing and take it, it will never end. unfortunately money is power, not desire, and that my good man is the problem, it is bullsh*t. Kate Moss is not a bigger zep fan than my friend who is still miserable about the whole affair

I was EXACTLY 10 rows back from the stage, right in front of Jimmy Page. I was deafened by people screaming, shouting. People were jumping throwing their arms about. It wasn't moshing, but this wasn't heavy metal!

Stop whining just because you (sorry, your friend) didn't get a ticket. There were people asleep at the gig, there were VIPs there going to the bar all night and chatting. There were people who bought tickets and didn't go! That's life.

i did get a ticket.....i bought one off ebay which means i broke the law!!!! i will be working and going to uni 7 days a week to pay for it.....do i mind? no, i consider myself very lucky to have seen the show! i'm simply trying to start a debate to get something done about this ridiculous situation. and you may say it's life, i dont. i try to do something about a bad situation, not just whine about it.

You know I defended Harvey during the whole ballot/passcode deal. I was so glad to see someone try to do something about it. But now that the ebay passcodes worked, I am a lot less impressed with his efforts... it's basically like saying don't breath in the air, it's polluted. Thanks alot for the warning Harvey.... I'm so glad I didn't buy a flippin' passcode.... But I know.... "NOBODY'S Fault but Mine".

This is well put. I think folks have to be realistic. While we understand the 'pain' - the world AIN'T perfect. The fans are always the most faithful and always the ones that get screwed. The big guy in the sky - the Zep boys - aren't listening because they can't do everything and respond to your needs. As much as true fans deserve the best seats, etc - celebrities and vips come with the territory. Personally, of course, I feel Led Zep could go on the road and do more charity work, more concerts, etc etc - the thing is - they had a 'moment' and the world leapt on it. Enjoy it on youtube...while u can

Archived