REMASTERED IV (ALL EDITIONS): Post Your Reviews/Reactions/Thoughts Here

Strider

led-zeppelin-iv-770.jpg

You all should know the drill by now...now that the remastered fourth album ('IV', 'Zoso', 'Untitled'...whatever your preference is) has been released, here is where you can post your feelings, good or bad, about the reissue. This goes for whether you only got the original remastered album, or if you got the Deluxe Vinyl package or if you went whole hog and got the Super Deluxe Editions. Or even if you just got the HD downloads.

Whatever format you got this remastered IV, give us your review. How does it sound to you as compared to the original vinyl or the old cds? Do you like the packaging? Were there any flaws or screw-ups in your opinion? What sounds better? What sounds worse?

Sam Webmaster, I made a typo in the thread title and unfortunately this forum doesn't allow you to edit your topic title once you have posted it. Can you please change that ? after the word 'Reactions' to a / ? Thank you.

I'll go with the alternate disc (I have the deluxe CD):-

Black Dog - not a great deal of difference, some interesting vocal additions & nice to hear the work out at the end sans guitar solo.

Rock and Roll - sounds a bit heavier than the original, I've not sat down to try & work out why but it sounds like there's more seperation between the instruments

Battle of Evermore - instrumental

Stairway to Heaven - left this one to last, blown away by the drums on it which have a bit more reverb on them & the ending as well, probably worth the price alone

Misty Mountain Hop - (see Rock and Roll)

Four Sticks - again, sounds a bit more drum-driven, love the count in other than that, quite similar to the original

Going to California - Instrumental

When the Levee Breaks - sounds quite odd this one, I can see why they went back & remixed this as it doesn't have the dirt or the power of the original.

Super Deluxe for me

Haven't had the chance to listen to the vinyl yet.

For the alternates, loved Misty Mountain Hop and all the instrumental tracks.

As with the reissues of I,II, and III, it sounds to me like Jimmy really brought Bonham's work much more to the forefront than it was on the original mixes.

Much appreciated!

Super Deluxe for me

Haven't had the chance to listen to the vinyl yet.

For the alternates, loved Misty Mountain Hop and all the instrumental tracks.

As with the reissues of I,II, and III, it sounds to me like Jimmy really brought Bonham's work much more to the forefront than it was on the original mixes.

Much appreciated!

Agree with this post. I haven't had a chance to listen to the vinyl or HD versions, but this go around I decided to take advantage of the amazon music library so that I can have all of the songs available to me on my phone which I have been playing through a Bose speaker at home, and I also listen through my car stereo. I love having easy access to the music and the sound is pretty amazing! My first thoughts are that the instruments stand out more, especially drums and guitar. I love the instrumentals, they really showcase the complexity of the composition and the emotion of the music...this is what draws me to LZ and to me, it's what makes their music so beautiful and mesmerizing.

I love the packaging and all the goodies that come with the SDBS. Will have fun this weekend giving them proper attention!

LED ZEPPELIN'S CLASSIC 4TH ALBUM ON 180 VINYL REMASTERED

I was surprised that the record sleeve did not have the album credits and lyrics to STH, as was the case for the original 1971 US release. This remastered LP's record sleeve was all white.

The STH lyrics, and the album credits were printed on a separate cardboard insert, with the record and record sleeve.

The Sawn Song hologram sticker was attached to the lower left corner of the back of the album jacket.

The songs hyped on the sticker on the shrinkwrap are: STH, Black Dog, & R&R.

Each album side has these markings in the runoff area (if that's what it's called??):

R1-535340

-28112- (Or is it -28772-) ?

P. USA

SIDE 1 also has "A1" and John D

SIDE 2 has "B1"

The album arrived from Amazon Fulfillment Services in N. Las Vegas in custom cardboard mailer for LPs (#194266).

The first question I have about the companion disc should be an obvious one.....What the heck am I listening to ? I understand the story behind the Sunset mixes, but this is not the finished product...or I should probably say not all of the songs are the finished product ? Not sure. Of all the companion discs I think this one begs for a separate detailed interview from Page. Even though the differences between the album versions are minor, I think there is a lot more information here than people realize.

The hurdy gurdy on "When the Levee Breaks" is clear as day on this mix. I actually never even noticed it on the studio version. Robert doesn't get enough credit for his harp playing. There's a crudity to it that lends legitimacy to Zep's blues covers. Lots of additional panning seems to be going on here and with "Four Sticks".

I can't complain about any mix without vocals on any of the companion discs. I would pay full price for complete discs of Zep tunes as instrumentals. Much is revealed. "Battle of Evermore" is haunting, and "Going to California" makes a great sing a long version. Karaoke Zep !

I need to listen to "Stairway" a few more times.

I think part of Page's problem with the sunset mixes was his own guitar sound. This album is arguably one of the greatest guitar albums ever....yet the tone and loudness of Page is muffled on these versions. For lack of a better description, it's not in your face as needed.

LED ZEPPELIN'S CLASSIC 4TH ALBUM ON 180 VINYL REMASTERED

I was surprised that the record sleeve did not have the album credits and lyrics to STH, as was the case for the original 1971 US release. This remastered LP's record sleeve was all white.

The STH lyrics, and the album credits were printed on a separate cardboard insert, with the record and record sleeve.

Some of the original pressings came that way. i have original pressings with printed inner sleeves, and I have original pressings with a generic inner sleeve, and a printed insert. I

The first question I have about the companion disc should be an obvious one.....What the heck am I listening to ? I understand the story behind the Sunset mixes, but this is not the finished product...or I should probably say not all of the songs are the finished product ? Not sure. Of all the companion discs I think this one begs for a separate detailed interview from Page. Even though the differences between the album versions are minor, I think there is a lot more information here than people realize.

The hurdy gurdy on "When the Levee Breaks" is clear as day on this mix. I actually never even noticed it on the studio version. Robert doesn't get enough credit for his harp playing. There's a crudity to it that lends legitimacy to Zep's blues covers. Lots of additional panning seems to be going on here and with "Four Sticks".

I can't complain about any mix without vocals on any of the companion discs. I would pay full price for complete discs of Zep tunes as instrumentals. Much is revealed. "Battle of Evermore" is haunting, and "Going to California" makes a great sing a long version. Karaoke Zep !

I agree and thought the same thing, about the alternate songs being a total re evaluation of the albums and better understanding and appreciation of the music. Rock journalists will be reviewing their reviews for sure.

What about Page's bluegrass picking on, the song remains the same. Wow, was there a country song in there all along, i had no idea. To think they had stuff like, jennings farm blues on tape. If it were on a record, i could see guitarists of all kinds, thinking it was great. From say neil young, to george harrison, to jimi hendrix.

Page's production was great on the albums, but to think they may have had better critical acclaim with less production...is possible, in retrospect. The whole catalogue treatment here, is historic.

Plants current record w bluegrass, african and modern urban illustrates the same mixing ideas led zeppelin had too.

I'm blasting my copy of the single vinyl edition, and it just thumps so far. Loving it! Jimmy did a stellar job with all these re-issues so far. Cannot wait for PG and Presence!

I am listenin to the companion discs and i'm back to 3, i think im hearing an ambient vocal in friends and going to california...is that so, any tech folks? Or is it the instruments were tuned to note of vocal..

Funny you mention that, I thought I could hear the same thing in the Battle of Evermore alternate version while listening to IV the other day.

I think you've heard the song so many times that your brain is singing the vocal for you. :)

Me too. Every time I've listened BOE and GTC, I've done the same thing.

What impresses me the most, as it with LZ III, are those drums. So much bigger, clearer, and "present" in the mix than ever before. Love it! :yesnod:

Me too. Every time I've listened BOE and GTC, I've done the same thing.

What impresses me the most, as it with LZ III, are those drums. So much bigger, clearer, and "present" in the mix than ever before. Love it! :yesnod:

Yes to all! I am especially loving BOE and GTC...WOW, just WOW!!

Got the auto rip from amazon the day of release. Even with crappy mp3 I could hear things I'd never heard before (I know off topic, but this was especially true of HOTH). Got my deluxe vinyl Friday. Just found time to listen today (Sunday). Was really bummed to find a flaw that kicks in on Going to California ruining the song as well as When the levee breaks. New copy on the way, but what a drag. The vinyl versions are not as stellar as 1, 2 and 3. More surface noise (aside from the flaw). But the digital versions sound fantastic. Love the packaging of the deluxe vinyl for all of the remasters so far. I like how the credits for iv were on a separate card stock from the inner sleeve. Very nice touch. The companion disks are not a lot different from the original lps, but they are very listenable... Not just listen once and shelve (nothing like the amazing companion disks to 1 and 3, but worthwhile nevertheless).

Just received my Super Deluxe IV and listened to STH (Sunset Sound Version) from the LP and was floored! Awesome sound.

Yes the sound is incredible. Just wish there were some alt mixes to make this release more unique outside of the instrumental takes on a few of the songs. Especially with IV being the highest selling of all the albums, I was hoping some more separation outside the usual remix. I know there was basically no tracks left over from these sessions, but was hoping for the two different STW solos or something else. Perhaps, JP doesn't have those solos in good enough quality to release them. Anyway, I still love this release and love the airiness I get with Stairway.

IV in 24/96 sounds amazing, Rock and Roll especially is so fat, full, and punchy. Battle of Evermore instrumental is so cool, you hear clearly how great Page and Jones are on the mandolin and guitar, the atmosphere they create with only 2 instruments is so effective even without vocals, seriously great musicianship, plus that extra something other bands do not have..

Archived