REMASTERED HOUSES OF THE HOLY (ALL EDITIONS): Post Your Reviews/Reactions/Thoughts Here

Strider

hoh-770.jpg?2cf8b9

Now that the remastered "Houses of the Holy" has been released, here is where you can post your feelings, good or bad, about the reissue. This goes for whether you only got the remastered original album, or if you got the Deluxe Vinyl package or if you went whole hog and got the Super Deluxe Editions. Or even if you just got the HD downloads.

Whatever format you got this remastered "Houses of the Holy", give us your review. How does it sound to you as compared to the original vinyl or the old cds? Do you like the packaging? Were there any flaws or screw-ups in your opinion? What sounds better? What sounds worse?

Hello, I've just made an account here and this is my first post.

Today I bought the remastered editions of "Houses of the holy" in vinyl (one disc) and CD (the 2-discs deluxe edition); when I went home I compared them to the "old" vinyl and cd editions that I already have and I noticed a difference on the sleeve: the little kid on the right is slightly different, it looks like his head and his back has been modified.
Am I right?

I know, this is not really important, maybe during the restoration of the image there has been some minor correction by the graphic team, but it seemed strange to me...

My first post too. I bought the 2 LP and two cd versions of both. Led Zepp IV is the best version I have ever heard even better than an early press plum copy. The 2 cd version is good but not what I would say life changing in difference. HOTH is also excellent on the vinyl. However the CD version is simply outstanding. Much more detail and JPJ shines throughout. HOTH is one of my personal fave albums by the band. only beaten by the debut.

I heard somewhere on here that Jimmy boosted the volume of Plants vocals up and nobody could figure out why he would do that.. Well I know the answer after listening to the remastered album.. Plant sounds freaking amazing on this album!! The Rain Song, Dancing Days, and The Ocean.. He sounds completely fantastic! He didn't quite have his high voice like on I and II, but damn he sounded great. I don't think it would be possible for anyone to sound anywhere close to him on Dancing Days. I'm not sure what it is about that song but I've never liked it that much and now I can't get enough of it! I think every Zeppelin song sounds better live but this and Whole Lotta Love are the only two exceptions. No Quarter is pretty cool on the companion disc as well as The Rain Song, which in my opinion are the highlights. TSRTS is pretty awesome with no vocals.

I just purchased the HOTH FLAC files and.....it is AMAZING how much what were "implied" sounds now pop clear! It's all so loose, with licks swelling up here and there, wonderful separation and room feel that it freaks me out..... it's like a million little details that add up to a wonderful whole. I know that's what music, in general, is but this is like being able to see/hear all the parts and still being able to comprehend the pig picture.... simply AWESOME!

I just purchased the HOTH FLAC files and.....it is AMAZING how much what were "implied" sounds now pop clear! It's all so loose, with licks swelling up here and there, wonderful separation and room feel that it freaks me out..... it's like a million little details that add up to a wonderful whole. I know that's what music, in general, is but this is like being able to see/hear all the parts and still being able to comprehend the pig picture.... simply AWESOME!

:huh:

LZ_Berkeley1.jpgbbczep_f.jpg

:P:D

It looks like their may be a production fiasco with the SDBS of Houses of the Holy. So far it appears to be the US SDBS only, that are Pallas USA (P. USA in the deadwax). Reports indicate a no fill, or bad distortion in The Ocean, that is not present on the EU pressings. Mass returns have begun, and it appears that all discs have the issue. Can you say Beatles Stereo Box Set? Been here once before.

I've always liked HOTH, but it wasn't a favorite album from the band. But the remaster has given me a whole new perspective on it! Never really liked the rain song much, but now I'm loving it. The vinyl seems to have more noise than the other vinyl reissues, but the digital copy is amazing! I'm by no means a completist. Used to have all the old vinyl. Have the boxed sets from the 90's. But never really liked that the albums were not in order. So well worth it to buy them again on vinyl just to have them in the proper sequence, but I'm am blown away by the improved quality of sound. Most remasters I have heard I have not been able to hear much, if any difference. Not with these... There is so much more going on that I was never aware of before. So cool!

I've traditionally had a fractured relationship with this album. I've gone through times of loving it and times of hating it.

But what strikes me about it now is the sheer genius - that is, the genius of approaching this, the album to follow up the monolithic IV, in total freedom. The guys in Zeppelin had the cojones to grant themselves total and utter freedom on this album (as indeed they did on all their albums), and throughout there is an exultant, celebratory tone, from Song Remains right through to the jubilant The Ocean.

It deserves its many plaudits, even though I still at times can't stomach the more jocular cuts from the album.

Edited by TheTraveller

Just speaking for myself of course...I probably should not have bought the new HOTH as it has never been among my fave albums (I, II, III, IV and Presence are my faves). Still glad I bought the IV package because it's interesting to hear the alternate versions, but there's nothing really new here on either, that I can see. Pondering whether I will buy the new PG; not sure...in my opinion this latest batch of remasters/alternate versions is for the hardcore fan only and only those who count these among their favorite LZ albums (probably most of us include IV in that category, but I don't think I'm alone in not putting HOTH among my faves.)

Just got the 2cd deluxe.That confounded bridge,sorry banner ,is still hard to get off just like the original lp.The original album on the cd sounds a lot clearer and much better separation of the previous re master.But the big change is Plants vocals sound less shrill,a lot smoother,although nothings gonna save his horrible too close to the mic vocals to the crunge.Also Pages woeful solo on OTHAFA sounds smoother and i actually don't mind it.The companion disc offers few surprises.The biggest being TSRTS.This really works as an instrumental and Pages guitar work is a revelation.Now one thing I've noticed,we don't get the back cover!I will be keeping my last re master copy for reference!

I am loving every minute of both discs, even the tape hiss that is all over NQ. I'm sure I haven't played HOTH this much for about forty years. I also, besides the CDs got the 24/96 files just for this album and burned to DVD-A the sound is phenomenol, absolutely breathtaking, fuller, richer deeper, more of everything.

I gave it a good listen last night and I'm blown away! The original album sounds great, so much detail has been revealed, there sure are a lot of guitar tracks! And the extras are the best ones so far, the guitar track for TSRtS is awesome, maybe better than the album version, Rain Song is definitely better without the piano track and the vocal-less No Quarter is so cool that I listened to it three times!

Do they have an expiry date? I haven't checked.

I haven't listened to my "Houses of the Holy" box yet...November is set aside for IV and then I'll break out HotH. But I have looked at the contents, and as on all the other download cards it says you get up to three downloads before the card is no good.