What is the instrument is used in the intro of "When the Levee Breaks"?

TanFrash

I've heard many covers of this song in which the instrument used in the intro is a harmonica. However, I saw a few live versions in which they use a hurdy-gurdy, instead of a harmonica. Which is the one used in the original recording, from Led Zeppelin IV?

Its an harmonica and Led Zeppelin never played it with a Hurdy Gurdy. When Page and Plant went on tour in 1996 they had Hurdy Gurdy player Nigel Eaton play a solo on it just before When the Levee Breaks.

When I saw this in Boston, The bass tones from his instrument were very deep. I was amazed at how awesome he sounded alone.

Its an harmonica and Led Zeppelin never played it with a Hurdy Gurdy. When Page and Plant went on tour in 1996 they had Hurdy Gurdy player Nigel Eaton play a solo on it just before When the Levee Breaks.

When I saw this in Boston, The bass tones from his instrument were very deep. I was amazed at how awesome he sounded alone.

• 8 months later...

He played a Fender Electric XII, a type of 12 stringed guitar, he used the same guitar on Stairway to Heaven, and The Song Remains The Same. It was also used, along with a strat, for the rhythm guitar track on Thank You.

No strat on Thank You. I believe it was the Vox 12 string (that he used with the Yardbirds) along with acoustic guitar. The Fender Xll was used on Stairway and more than likely on Levee as well but without the 6th string and alternate tuning.

No strat on Thank You. I believe it was the Vox 12 string (that he used with the Yardbirds) along with acoustic guitar. The Fender Xll was used on Stairway and more than likely on Levee as well but without the 6th string and alternate tuning.

I read somewhere that he used an Olympic White Strat on Thank You. But I could be wrong. As for the twelve string, why didn't he use it live for Levee?

I read somewhere that he used an Olympic White Strat on Thank You. But I could be wrong. As for the twelve string, why didn't he use it live for Levee?

Jimmy has stated in interviews that (during Zeppelin) he only used a strat when he needed to use a tremolo bar. A lot of the tracks like The Crunge, For Your Life, In The Evening etc Jimmy is using the bar in some fashion. What has come up recently was a photo of Jimmy with a white strat and a caption stating that it was used on Ten Years Gone. (To me the track sounds like a Telecaster)

Levee was maybe played a couple of times live. Maybe he used the Fender XII. (Refer to the Jeff Beck ROR Hall Of Fame Performance, Jimmy is using it live for an instrumental of Immigrant Song as well as Beck's Bolero.)

• 1 year later...
On 7/20/2015 at 2:25 PM, sixpense said:

Jimmy has stated in interviews that (during Zeppelin) he only used a strat when he needed to use a tremolo bar. A lot of the tracks like The Crunge, For Your Life, In The Evening etc Jimmy is using the bar in some fashion. What has come up recently was a photo of Jimmy with a white strat and a caption stating that it was used on Ten Years Gone. (To me the track sounds like a Telecaster)

Levee was maybe played a couple of times live. Maybe he used the Fender XII. (Refer to the Jeff Beck ROR Hall Of Fame Performance, Jimmy is using it live for an instrumental of Immigrant Song as well as Beck's Bolero.)

There's whammy on The Crunge?

Archived