books

kashmir75

is there a list of good books to get thanks in advance

Yes. Start with "Hammer of the Gods" and after that explore for what you really want to know and read about Led Zeppelin. I have at least 30 books pertaining and exclusive to Led Zeppelin alone.

There at least 10 more LZ books that I have yet to buy and read which I plan to do so soon. I am a voracious reader of all things Led Zeppelin (or related).

Good Luck!!!

The only Zep-related book I have read is "Light and Shade" which is a compilation of interviews of Page and some interviews with his colleagues including JPJ, Paul Rodgers, Jeff Beck, Chris Dreja etc. I learned a lot and it was straight from the source(s). I would not read the gossip books because they are just based on second-hand info mostly and may not be credible. In addition I'm not interested in unpleasant personal details not related to music although I realize there are some who have a sick fascination with these things.

The ones that are well-written and balanced and give you the perspective of someone who actually knows something about music are When Giants Walked The Earth (just don't bother with the dreadful stuff in italics), Trampled Under Foot and Light and Shade, I would say. Personally I'd recommend reading them in that order.

Hammer of the Gods is very sensationalist, more concerned with the sex and drugs than the music. Parts of it, I'm sure, are bullshit, and parts (more parts than the band would like you to think, probably) are true, but good luck figuring out which is which. Stairway To Heaven by Richard Cole is along the same lines but even worse. ("Well, some of it's true" - Cole).

LZ-75 by the author of Hammer of the Gods is decent and quite overlooked I think - it's pretty good at conveying the atmosphere of life on the road with the band. Also good for giving you a feel for those times and the atmosphere around rock bands are groupie memoirs (Pamela Des Barres, Bebe Buell, Morgana Welch, Catherine James).

The Page biog by George Case is...workmanlike. Nothing much you wouldn't get from the standard biogs of the band. "Jimmy Page by Jimmy Page" is very cool but the text's pretty minimal.

The first three I mentioned are the only ones I would call essential. Read When Giants... and Trampled Under Foot and I reckon you've got a pretty good all-round picture.

just finished jimmy page by jimmy page worth every penny read Robert plant the voice that sailed the zeppelin by dave Thompson does not get into all the bs gossip good read just got experiencing led zeppelin a listener's companion which goes into detail each song on all there albums more analytical trying to get led zeppelin on led zeppelin interviews with the band the dead straight guide to led zeppelin led zeppelin lyric's and paroles no description

• 6 months later...

Just finished Jimmy Page Magus,Musician,Man An unauthorized biography by George Case.

Thoughts?

One of my favorites, I've read it many times. I like that it deals mostly in facts and not a lot of the offstage drama stuff. You can tell George Case is a fan and a guitar player, not some pompous rock critic.

FWIW I thought it was also well made, nice, smooth, crisp, pages. :book:

The ones that are well-written and balanced and give you the perspective of someone who actually knows something about music are When Giants Walked The Earth (just don't bother with the dreadful stuff in italics), Trampled Under Foot and Light and Shade, I would say. Personally I'd recommend reading them in that order.

Hammer of the Gods is very sensationalist, more concerned with the sex and drugs than the music. Parts of it, I'm sure, are bullshit, and parts (more parts than the band would like you to think, probably) are true, but good luck figuring out which is which. Stairway To Heaven by Richard Cole is along the same lines but even worse. ("Well, some of it's true" - Cole).

LZ-75 by the author of Hammer of the Gods is decent and quite overlooked I think - it's pretty good at conveying the atmosphere of life on the road with the band. Also good for giving you a feel for those times and the atmosphere around rock bands are groupie memoirs (Pamela Des Barres, Bebe Buell, Morgana Welch, Catherine James).

The Page biog by George Case is...workmanlike. Nothing much you wouldn't get from the standard biogs of the band. "Jimmy Page by Jimmy Page" is very cool but the text's pretty minimal.

The first three I mentioned are the only ones I would call essential. Read When Giants... and Trampled Under Foot and I reckon you've got a pretty good all-round picture.

Liked LZ-75' however I still think the author is a dick. He really goes out of his way to insult and demean JPJ at every opportunity, constantly calling him a "lounge player" and highlighting Plant's quip in reference to Liberace. Also, if you call a book LZ-75' don't be so self-absorbed in the process, I don't give a shit about some tart he passed around with an old friend, what an ass. Stephen Davis can be quite a sensationalist.

Oral History by Barney Hoskyns and Led Zeppelin: 1968-1980 by Keith Shadwick are my favorites.

Archived