Predictions for Coda

mckjuana

What do you think?

Is coda going to be the treasure trove of some sketches, some previously unknown and some mythical tracks, and if so what do you think they could be?

Or is it going to be Darlene (rough mix, no vocals) and Bonzos Montreaux (rough mix, minus drums lol)

I'm leaning towards that too, plus maybe the bonus tracks from the complete studio recordings.

The dream would be the lost tracks LIS, STS, Fire, and the Bombay sessions, along with (a non existent) As Long As I Have You studio version, and then maybe some others that we simply don't know about (who knew about keys to the highway till earlier this year?)

His treatment of PG will set the precedent for coda, I believe. If the outtakes from PG aren't given a companion track version, then would this apply to all outtakes, and therefore coda?

Coda isn't one of Zeps top sellers, so including more additional tracks other than what is included already would be in their best interest. The casual fan isn't looking for a remastered edition of this album as they would be in the official studio albums. This one is a harder sell for this reason.

I feel it will be various mixes/takes on the existing tracks(although I don't know what will happen with 'I can't quit you babe').A recent quote from Neil Peart from my other fave band Rush said there are no other songs in the can because we work on songs till we get them right that's why there are no bonus tracks on our reissues.I feel that Zep worked the same way .Coda was a mopping up of what was left and to include a live song to fill out a very short album justifies there was not much left.Yes I would be over the moon if some of the rarities that have been on bootlegs and other sources were included but perhaps they are not salvageable for official release

I know so many people feel that reimagining an album like Coda would be like rewriting history... but in this situation its your own history (ie Led Zeppelins history) & being a postumous album anyways... this would be a perfect album to reissue with different tracks different takes leave off the mutilated live stuff.... focus the album more on the summation it was meant to be...

I know I'm in the minority, but I really like "Sugar Mama" and I think it deserves to be released. I mean it's no worse than "South Bound Suarez" or "Darlene"!

Who knows, Page may have a version with better lyrics, more overdubs, etc.

-hercoflex

i can think of one very good reason why they never put this out... It's crap! sorry that's just my opinion, if you like it that's cool.

If it was I think they might have been on the II companion. From what I've read here on this forum it seems that due to theft a lot of the outtakes that are widely circulated on bootleg are no longer in Jimmy's possession hence their absence. You do have to applaud him though for finding a few things that nobody even knew about, like La La And Keys.

Hey Hercoflex what do you prefer? Gold 50s or grey 75s?

Babysquid, sorry to say that I do not play...I just like the name because it's our boy Jimmy's favorite pick. I do have a grey one (I assume it's a 75) from one of the Page/Crowes gigs at Roseland '99.

Back on topic, I think Jimmy mentioned that an alternate "Bonzo's Montreux" was in store. Here's hoping "Lost in Space" & "St. Tristan's Sword" wind up here as well!

I'm cautiously optimistic about Coda but trying not to get my hopes up too much. If Jimmy had great unreleased tracks to include with Coda, it just seems that they would have been released with Coda 30 years ago. There wasn't much reason to hold them back at that time unless they've been discovered more recently.

I mean, really, what was Coda in the first place? Three outtakes from ITTOD, a studio-created drum track, a couple early live tracks, songs named after Tom and Walter. The vault was pretty empty in the early 80's judging from that list. The best material from the vault had already comprised half of Physical Graffiti. I'm expecting to see Travelling Riverside Blues, Baby Please Come Home, White Summer, etc. Rare unreleased gems from each of the albums would probably have been released with their respective albums. Of course, I"m hoping to be proven wrong on all these assumptions.

In some ways, I wonder if Coda needed the special release treatment in the first place. The songs could have just been included in the special editions of the previous albums.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Coda but trying not to get my hopes up too much. If Jimmy had great unreleased tracks to include with Coda, it just seems that they would have been released with Coda 30 years ago. There wasn't much reason to hold them back at that time unless they've been discovered more recently.

I mean, really, what was Coda in the first place? Three outtakes from ITTOD, a studio-created drum track, a couple early live tracks, songs named after Tom and Walter. The vault was pretty empty in the early 80's judging from that list. The best material from the vault had already comprised half of Physical Graffiti. I'm expecting to see Travelling Riverside Blues, Baby Please Come Home, White Summer, etc. Rare unreleased gems from each of the albums would probably have been released with their respective albums. Of course, I"m hoping to be proven wrong on all these assumptions.

In some ways, I wonder if Coda needed the special release treatment in the first place. The songs could have just been included in the special editions of the previous albums.

I agree with what your are saying here. After a little bit of promise on II and III companion discs, I found that IV and HOTH were a bit of a let down as far as unreleased material is concerned... and so too are my hopes for Coda. If anything was worthy of releasing for Coda, why were they not released on the first 5 re-releases? I hope I am wrong on this.

I kind of wish the new booklets had a sessionography. Page put these out knowing what bootlegs were out there that people already heard, so "clean copies" are highly doubtful unless someone still has the source tapes. When people recorded at Sol, they became nosy and found all sorts of tapes (which meant any number of people could have bootlegged those tapes), but it sounded like those tapes were "jammed in a closet" and weren't really protected.

Jason, Robert & John had mentioned they also had tapes, so whatever exists now is probably all in one place. Hopefully they find a way for people to hear it as part of the "virtual museum" and sessionography-related, for those students among us. Jimmy could always add one to his "this day in..."

• 2 months later...

Anyone come across a thought that maybe since there wasn't enough material from way back to make a companion disc for their debut album that maybe Page will include something like a rough take of Dazed And Confused or Communication Breakdown on the companion disc for Coda..?

That would be a delightful surprise... To me anyway, I love their debut album (more than IV to be honest).

• 4 weeks later...

Given Coda was a kinda loose cannon release and not a conventional studio album of all new material, it could support a three disc extravaganza. This would also make strong commercial sense, to encourage more than the hardcore fan base to buy it. Remember, Coda is Jimmy's last opportunity to clear out the archives, or at least with stuff in the arsenal he is quality control happy with.

The amount of extra tracks depends on whether the first disc adheres to the original 1982 release track content or the 1993 Complete Studio Recordings version. I’m hoping for the latter with at least one entire disc of archive tracks. I would detract from the thinking the tracks on the 1982 or 1993 version merit alternate takes, with the exception of Bonzo's Montreux. So, this offers the chance to break the pattern of the Led Zeppelin II through to In Through The Out Door companion disc strategy.

Coda companion disc tracks I’m hoping for are:

• Bonzo's Montreux (alternate)
  • Sugar Mama
  • Fire
  • Swan Song
  • Sunshine Woman
  • As Long As I Have You
  • Lost in Space (very long shot)
  • St. Tristan's Sword (very long shot)
  • Take Me Home (very long shot)
  • And/or a few tracks we don't know about.

Cheers,

Indi

Even as someone not into the companion discs I think Coda will be pretty decent and we will not get the nightmare version. I think jimmy will try to close these out with something nice and heck maybe I'll even get the companion disc version this time

Archived