Jimmy Page & Chris Cornell To Collaborate In 2015

brettwb1

Yes, including Coverdale/Page.

Boy that was quick ... I didn't even get my edit finished..

Coverdale Page was released in 93

Soundgarden was already in full motion by 90..

But point taken, some great bands suffered because of Grunge ... and a lot of watered down garbage was blown out of the water overnight

I would give the title of cheif architect of Grunge to Mr Cobain over Cornell..

Coverdale Page was released in 93. Soundgarden was already in full motion by 90.

I would give the title of chief architect of Grunge to Mr Cobain over Cornell.

Coverdale/Page was recorded from '91-'92 and released in early '93 during which time grunge had become prominent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunge

It's actually Cornell's official website which proclaims him to be "the chief architect of grunge". However, I would agree that it was the success of Smells Like Teen Spirit that popularized the genre for which bands like Soundgarden and others benefited greatly.

I've said before how much I loathe grunge music, and Cobain in particular. I realize there are others who feel differently about it. I'd be willing to give a Cornell/Page recording a chance but freely admit I'm skeptical it'd be any good. My personal litmus test for new music nowadays is fairly simple and it is this: Has it already been done to death before? Within that construct Robert Plant and his North African drums, for example, falls short while K-pop acts like Girls Generation, Kara and T-ara merit repeated viewing/listening.

Coverdale/Page was recorded from '91-'92 and released in early '93 during which time grunge had become prominent.

I've said before how much I loathe grunge music, and Cobain in particular.

I understand your feelings towards Cobain; perhaps you are confusing how the "Disciples of Cobain", as I like to call them, treated other artists? I would hope that Cobain or the other guys in Nirvana didn't really loath other forms of rock music. The way I look at it, you have maybe 3 to 5 artists that are always the talented ones in a particular style or sound, and record labels sign up a million copy cats to milk the cash cow and for whatever reason, Nirvana fanatics treated the rest of us that were not buying the Nirvana milk like we were shite. For the longest time I resented Cobain the artist for something that perhaps should have been directed elsewhere.

I understand your feelings towards Cobain; perhaps you are confusing how the "Disciples of Cobain", as I like to call them, treated other artists? I would hope that Cobain or the other guys in Nirvana didn't really loath other forms of rock music. The way I look at it, you have maybe 3 to 5 artists that are always the talented ones in a particular style or sound, and record labels sign up a million copy cats to milk the cash cow and for whatever reason, Nirvana fanatics treated the rest of us that were not buying the Nirvana milk like we were shite. For the longest time I resented Cobain the artist for something that perhaps should have been directed elsewhere.

I suppose there is a bit of the pioneer (Cobain) taking all the arrows over this. Aside from that though, I just have an intense dislike for Cobain's ethos. Never knew him personally mind you, and certainly don't wish to denigrate a dead man here. He reminds me a lot of Brian Jones, actually--a charismatic entertainer with abysmal and ultimately fatal character flaws.

Can anyone who attended confirm the Alternative Nation report? Was it indeed an exchange in earnest or was it said jokingly?

If this is a real plan (as much as Jimmy's plans ever are), I would be quite excited. I think Chris has an amazing voice, but his music has never really lived up to it for me save for a couple of songs. I know Superunknown is considered a modern classic for some, but it never totally clicked for me, as much as I like grunge, grunge-inspired music, and "Cobain's ethos." ;) I would love to hear Chris take on some Zep songs like Gallows Pole and Friends -- and some of the harder stuff as well.

I'd also like Chris, in the spirit of grunge, to encourage Jimmy to continue with the heavy distortion on his guitar (O2 concert).

I'm a little reluctant to allow myself to get excited when I know there's about a 1% chance of this actually happening.

It's actually Cornell's official website which proclaims him to be "the chief architect of grunge". However, I would agree that it was the success of Smells Like Teen Spirit that popularized the genre for which bands like Soundgarden and others benefited greatly.

I've said before how much I loathe grunge music, and Cobain in particular. I realize there are others who feel differently about it. I'd be willing to give a Cornell/Page recording a chance but freely admit I'm skeptical it'd be any good. My personal litmus test for new music nowadays is fairly simple and it is this: Has it already been done to death before? Within that construct Robert Plant and his North African drums, for example, falls short while K-pop acts like Girls Generation, Kara and T-ara merit repeated viewing/listening.

Well that's kind of what I was getting at ... Grunge didn't kill Coverdale Page. They came after Grunge stomped out The Brittany Foxes ...

But I agree, It wasn't the right time for Coverdale Page.. If it came out in 88, it would have done much better..

I loved Cobain, but like any movement.. the labels got their grubby mitts on Grunge and signed anyone wearing flannel.. whether they were good or not..

It has happened to any up and coming sound.. Hair Metal, New Wave, Punk... even Disco started out with some cool underground stuff..

I suppose there is a bit of the pioneer (Cobain) taking all the arrows over this. Aside from that though, I just have an intense dislike for Cobain's ethos. Never knew him personally mind you, and certainly don't wish to denigrate a dead man here. He reminds me a lot of Brian Jones, actually--a charismatic entertainer with abysmal and ultimately fatal character flaws.

I saw Nirvana once on their last tour in 1993 before their demise on the "In Utero" tour back in 1993. It was at a GA seating venue only at the NY Coliseum in NYC which is used mainly for conventions etc. Can't remember the exact date, but was the same day as the NYC marathon and the finish line was quite close to this venue. The next night, they filmed their MTV Unplugged.

The problem I had with Cobain is how can one let things get so out of control with an addiction and stick a shotgun in your mouth to end it all. Was this the wise solution? Absolutely not! Especially, with a young daughter Frances Bean at the time. Of course (no surprise) Courtney Love was no help with her substance and other issues at the time and still continue here and there to this day, I suppose!

Well that's kind of what I was getting at ... Grunge didn't kill Coverdale Page. They came after Grunge stomped out The Brittany Foxes ...

But I agree, It wasn't the right time for Coverdale Page.. If it came out in 88, it would have done much better..

Very interesting and so true. I expect a whole companion disc of no vocals for outrider and c/p

I never thought Cobain was the true architect of Grunge, for me that would be Andrew Wood of Mother Love Bone and indeed Chris Cornell. Cobain kinda rode their coattails so to speak but those two were doing Grunge in the late 80's when Cobain was still doing Punk. Love it or hate it Grunge sure did wash away all the shit Glam Rock which had been prancing about for far too long. Of course a few good bands such as Coverdale / Page were also drowned by the tide but in every war there are bound to be innocent casualties.

Chloe Dancer / Crown of Thorns was both one of the first true grunge tunes and a great song as well, even if some of the lyrical content was rather absurd the arrangement was flawless. Chris Cornell's Season's was also a highlight.

When it comes to Grunge the Big Three were Mother Love Bone, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains.

Ps. Check out Temple of the Dog for the segue between Mother Love Bone & Pearl Jam.

I would love to see a collaboration between Page & Cornell, I always thought Page would really shine with a singer / second guitarist.

There were a couple of songs of the Soundgarden reunion album KING ANIMAL that had really great riff development.. "Non State Actor" is a favorite.. It's great to see Jimmy and Chris together, but why not Thayil, Cameron and Shepherd? Why not the whole shebang.. that's were the music could be at. Thayil and Shepherd know how to slice dice and multiply a riff, they are my favorite guitar/bass team in rock... bsides u know who.. Cameron is a driving high energy drummer with a tribal feel, more toms, less cymbals, he plays with a lot of tact. Jimmy could use tact. I don't think Jim has been perfectly complimented by anynon LZ bass players, time has been kind to TonyFranklin, but in it's time I didn't appreciate the fretless bass sound.. but he was listening to Jim. u can tell. Over several performances I've concluded that Charlie Jones didn't get Jimmy, didn't compliment him or fill the space right. JIm should be allowed to just play color if he likes, while the bass player fills in the music. JPJ got Jim right back where he belonged @ the Ahmet.

I'm not convinced any lead guitarist can make a band financially viable by himself whether he can sing or not. Not Jimmy Page, not David Gilmour, not George Harrison,,,,then who? Fact is, bassists have a better track of doing it alone than lead guitarists...McCartney, Sting, etc.

Bassist Roger Waters was always pissed off that David Gilmour got so much credit for the music behind Pink Floyd. He bluntly said that without a vehicle to setup his guitar parts, Gilmour is a lost puppy.

I suspect the same is true for Jimmy. Without a stable rhythm section and someone doing vocal melodies and lyrics, Jimmy is a lost puppy.

I'm not convinced any lead guitarist can make a band financially viable by himself whether he can sing or not. Not Jimmy Page, not David Gilmour, not George Harrison,,,,then who? Fact is, bassists have a better track of doing it alone than lead guitarists...McCartney, Sting, etc.

Bassist Roger Waters was always pissed off that David Gilmour got so much credit for the music behind Pink Floyd. He bluntly said that without a vehicle to setup his guitar parts, Gilmour is a lost puppy.

I suspect the same is true for Jimmy. Without a stable rhythm section and someone doing vocal melodies and lyrics, Jimmy is a lost puppy.

Excuse me, Jimmy Page a Lost puppy! He was one of the most sought after session guitarists in the world!. That distinction does not come easily nor if one is lost without a great rhythm section.

The reason Gilmore gets a lot of credit is due to his sound. Roger Waters is a great composer, musician, lyricist, but its the sound of Dave Gilmour's guitar we hear when we listen to Pink Floyd. Its his sound that makes us feel the emotion of the songs and Roger never got that.

The bassists you mentioned above can not only write and play but they can sing far better than Jimmy Page or even Dave Gilmore, plus it doesn't hurt to be good looking as in Sting and Mccartney's case but they are also so much more than just a good looking musicians they are truly talented people.

The Guitar playing on Coverdale page is Awesome even with Coverdale and a generic rhythm section the album still rocks!

Lost puppy, I think not. :D

Archived