Jimmy Page & Chris Cornell To Collaborate In 2015

brettwb1

I think even if Jimmy considered touring, the promoters would gauge demand for a few gigs, forget about jumping into a 30

date US  trek. And  yes, 2000-3000 seaters. The coasts would be fine, but inbetween, not sure. Star power, yes, but Jimmy

has not been or been viewed as an active musician for a long time now. Anyway, it's been said a hundred times, Jimmy

needs Robert to go along, and Jimmy wants the 20,000 seat glory days, he's not motivated  to scale down. JPJ said

not that long ago in some interview" What do you mean, Jimmy doesn't want to play out anymore, he LIVES to be on

stage". I totally agree, and  am still puzzled somewhat by Page's behavior.

5 hours ago, SymphonyX said:

1990 Robert Plant was playing Arenas.  Alannah Myles opened up and never heard of her and pretty sure 99.9% of the people who attended cared less about her music.  

1993 Robert was playing large Theaters, not sure who Robert was playing with.

The industry completely turned it's back on several lots of rock bands.   Right before 1993 Alice In Chains was opening for bands like Pantera and Slayer and then the house of cards flipped and AIC was the new Arena champs while the previous headliners got downgraded to smaller clubs and large theaters.   Kinda funny how the house of cards have now flipped on Bill Maher and Kathy Griffin in very recent time.

People may not have been there to see Alannah, but she was very popular and known at the time in the states.

I don't remember her at all or on the radio.  Definitely no Melissa Etheridge or Sheryl Crow.  Black Velvet song sounds vaguely familiar but nothing to sneeze about.  Looks like she was on Atlantic label and they tried to prop her music on a pedestal, but Atlanta lost a ton of money.  None of her music past 1989 hit any U.S charts to even this day

2 hours ago, SymphonyX said:

I don't remember her at all or on the radio.  Definitely no Melissa Etheridge or Sheryl Crow.  Black Velvet song sounds vaguely familiar but nothing to sneeze about.  Looks like she was on Atlantic label and they tried to prop her music on a pedestal, but Atlanta lost a ton of money.  None of her music past 1989 hit any U.S charts to even this day

Not quite. Alannah Myles is a Canadian rocker who became massive in Canada in the late 80's. Her #1 hit Black Velvet made her not only an international star in 1990, but she won the grammy for best female rock performance in 1991 for Black Velvet plus two Juno Awards. Atlantic did not lose a dime on Myles, in fact they made a ton of money on her albums.

Nothing wrong with you not hearing about her or even not really liking her, but to marginalize someone who was an international star who sold millions of units is a bit silly.

39 minutes ago, SymphonyX said:

I think there was a secret meeting that forced Page and Plant to play or they would not be doing any arena shows.   3 years and all of a sudden Plant was doing much smaller venues

Robert was asked to do an MTV Unplugged and he asked Jimmy to join him. No one forced them to work together. Clearly a choice. Robert's change of venues was more financial. He wasn't able to sell out arenas so he moved to smaller places. 

Robert could have still played arenas, the problem is the Industry turned their back.  No proper promotion, all the rock magazines changed format, radio stations changed format.  1 or 2 classic rock but they would not play any modern Plant music

6 hours ago, IpMan said:

Not quite. Alannah Myles is a Canadian rocker who became massive in Canada in the late 80's. Her #1 hit Black Velvet made her not only an international star in 1990, but she won the grammy for best female rock performance in 1991 for Black Velvet plus two Juno Awards. Atlantic did not lose a dime on Myles, in fact they made a ton of money on her albums.

Nothing wrong with you not hearing about her or even not really liking her, but to marginalize someone who was an international star who sold millions of units is a bit silly.

Plus she dated Robert for a spell.  

4 hours ago, tenyearsgone21 said:

Robert was asked to do an MTV Unplugged and he asked Jimmy to join him. No one forced them to work together. Clearly a choice. Robert's change of venues was more financial. He wasn't able to sell out arenas so he moved to smaller places. 

And opened for Lenny Kravitz a little before he and Page reunited.

How true all this is. I was a teenager in the 80's, and our closest hockey arena, Nassau Coliseum, was about 25-30 miles

away. Perhaps I have dementia, but I remember every 4-6 weeks a real rock band would be playing there. Go to 2000-2005,

maybe every 2-3 months , and downhill from there. Of course where I live(Long Island, NY) there has been an explosion

of 1000-4000 seat venues. However, I don't agree all bands/ situations fit well in smaller venues. Can you imagine Floyd

playing a 2000 seater, or 77' Zep playing a 3000 seater ? These bands and others try to create an epic, huge and spectacular

experience where the huge numbers of fans and  their enthusiasm for the band  even pushes the musicians further. Plant solo

has adapted well to the downsize, but Jimmy I think has not wanted to appear ordinary and human.

12 hours ago, Mithril46 said:

Jimmy I think has not wanted to appear ordinary and human.

Yeah, 'mystique' has been part of Jimmy's whole thing since the '60s and with the amount of times he shuts an interviewer down with 'I'm not going to talk about that' or 'this is all I'm going to say about it' or just 'no', it clearly still is.  

I dunno, I saw Jimmy tear the roof off a small theater in Pittsburgh in '88.  Same with the Crowes at Roseland in '99.  And the following summer with the Crowes in venues bigger than theaters but smaller than arenas.

I don't think he's hung up on the size of venues.  I think he's hung up on playing with Robert or playing with nobody at this point.

Probably only partially understood, but yep, Jimmy likely feels much more adrenaline onstage with Robert. I as a musician have had the same experience. I used to jam with a drummer who actually replaced the Dream Theatre drummer for two

weeks due to a wrist injury. This guy wasn't just prog, he was heavy into Bonzo and just me on guitar and him drums, he

got things out of me otherwise latent. He had a wife and young kids, so he wasn't really allowed to form a touring band.

So Jimmy is picky and stubborn and there are many fine singers out there, but even now Robert remains a legendary

singer even with half his range gone.

Such a shame, Jimmy needs to re-invent himself as both Plant & Jones have, to allow him true freedom and a new creative path.

As Jimmy himself liked to say, "Tangents within a framework." Too bad that framework has turned into a prison of his own making.

Archived