Jimmy Page & Chris Cornell To Collaborate In 2015

brettwb1

I wasn't addressing you, just agreeing with cosmic juice. NEXT! :rolleyes:

Oh no I used site instead of cite! Oh darn! Well the word may have been incorrect but the question was quite clear and by your dismissal of the question my guess is you are unable to "cite" when Chris Cornells "fad" ended.

My Wave-Soundgarden(W/lyrics): https://youtu.be/RWdP8B4BHss

Guess you won't like my sig then... :bubble:

There's no law against someone expressing their opinion, but it is polite to acknowledge someone's question and give them some sort of answer besides shooting it down because of a silly spelling error. :hunter:

Dear Cosmic_Juice, Walter, and lcondo123,

I offer my sincerest apologies to the three of you for my trite and downright rude replies. It was uncalled for.

Cosmic- I don't have a specific "date" necessarily but the whole movement did fade quicker than I think people expected. My personal opinion of why it happened sooner is because I think people were so happy to see ANY style knock the pretentious, pretty boy, hair bands, off their high horses, it could have been anyone and people would've still gravitated toward it just to overthrow the hair garbage. Eventually people figured out that there wasn't as much depth and longevity with grunge so it was more thought of as a fad. Kinda like disco. That's all I can offer on your request.

Walter- I probably shouldn't have even replied to your post. My apologies.

lcondo- You are 100% correct and I have offered my best attempt to acknowledge the question and have given the best answer I could.

Maybe it's Facebook PTSD or the fact that I know how things can get on this forum, but I went into immediate defense mode without taking a sec to put it in perspective and engage in the conversation. Whatever the reason, it was an inappropriate response and again, I apologize.

Well this certainly puts a damper on a lot of the collaboration talk. Gotta think he's gonna go into full tour/promotion mode for the next 6 months at least.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/soundgardens-chris-cornell-completes-recording-new-solo-album/

Given Jimmy's idea of 'this time next year' we should be due a collaboration in around 2018. Perhaps the new music and tour will emerge at around the same time as Jimmy's autobiography. You know, the posthumous one...

You may accuse me of cynicism. You might be right.

• 5 weeks later...

I remember Soundgarden well, from the 1990's, playing the Sega Genesis video game of EA's ROAD RASH.

After battling each other on motorbikes for hours, when we sat back to relax, the music videos would start....

Here are the Soundgarden songs from the Sega game (not all versions have the videos...):

Rusty Cage

Outshined

Kickstand

Superunknown

• 2 years later...
21 minutes ago, Mook said:

Apparently Soundgarden ended their last set with In My Time of Dying.

Sad. Yes. Slaves &Bulldozers (live) included lyrics from "In My Time of Dying" :(

RB)

ow, I cannot believe this happened. Chris had just performed last night and looked in fine form. Such a tragedy as he was truly a very nice guy. I met him in 92' when I was in Seattle and became a fan not just of the band, but of Chris himself on the spot. A very warm and kind human being.

Also, thank you Chris for being a part of grunge as it killed off the horrible 80's hair metal and brought us great music as a result.

1 hour ago, IpMan said:

thank you Chris for being a part of grunge as it killed off the horrible 80's hair metal and brought us great music as a result.

In that sense grunge was so very necessary

Jimmy Page posted some thoughts on Chris passing and a photo of him onstage.  Other artists also react on this page.

http://www.guitarworld.com/artist-news/jimmy-page-and-other-rockers-react-chris-cornells-death/31185

RIP Chris Cornell
Incredibly Talented
Incredibly Young
Incredibly Missed.

My favourite some from him vocally was probably "Say Hello To Heaven".  The apex of rock singers from the 1990's on.  RIP.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, TheBeast said:

Really?  You should be taken out back!

1 hour ago, Sathington Willoughby said:

:yesnod:

Ok, girls I'll play. Why should I be taken out back? For loathing grunge music or for forgiving a dead man responsible for it?

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Ok, girls I'll play. Why should I be taken out back? For loathing grunge music or for forgiving a dead man responsible for it?

You are without a doubt entitled to your opinion and I personally respect that. I have a question though, is there something in particular which you dislike about grunge and if so, what?

The reason I ask is when G&R and wee bit later, The Black Crowes came out I thought, thank god, bands are starting to go back to a 70's type style but with a contemporary approach. Then when I heard the Seattle sounds around 1990 I was really hopeful, it was again a 70's type sound but with a dash of punk (or in the case of Nirvana a whole lotta punk) and introspective lyrics. What many people looked at as depressing rock, mostly minor chords and downer lyrics, I saw diverse music with intelligent lyrics questioning many topics of life, American life in general. It was like Zeppelin meets Black Sabbath meets The Germs meets The Clash after a lengthy conversation with Marvin Gaye. I never really interpreted the lyrical content of Grunge as whiny or self-indulgent but rather observations on life from the perspective of post-Vietnam youth questioning the very nature of both the American Dream and their place (or lack thereof) within it. This was protest music but from an individual perspective rather than a cultural one.

Compare that with the 80's hair bands whereby if you were not familiar with the bands themselves there would be almost no way to tell Poison from Saigon Kicks from Warrant from Quiet Riot from Ratt and on and on. I guess my disdain for most 80's hair bands equals your disdain for Grunge however my reasoning is they never brought anything of substance, musically or lyrically, to the table. 

Of course I completely respect anyones choice in musical tastes and even though I dislike 80's pop/metal, for the people who like it, good for them. Their tastes are neither better nor worse than mine, just different.

15 hours ago, IpMan said:

You are without a doubt entitled to your opinion and I personally respect that. I have a question though, is there something in particular which you dislike about grunge and if so, what?

The reason I ask is when G&R and wee bit later, The Black Crowes came out I thought, thank god, bands are starting to go back to a 70's type style but with a contemporary approach. Then when I heard the Seattle sounds around 1990 I was really hopeful, it was again a 70's type sound but with a dash of punk (or in the case of Nirvana a whole lotta punk) and introspective lyrics. What many people looked at as depressing rock, mostly minor chords and downer lyrics, I saw diverse music with intelligent lyrics questioning many topics of life, American life in general. It was like Zeppelin meets Black Sabbath meets The Germs meets The Clash after a lengthy conversation with Marvin Gaye. I never really interpreted the lyrical content of Grunge as whiny or self-indulgent but rather observations on life from the perspective of post-Vietnam youth questioning the very nature of both the American Dream and their place (or lack thereof) within it. This was protest music but from an individual perspective rather than a cultural one.

Compare that with the 80's hair bands whereby if you were not familiar with the bands themselves there would be almost no way to tell Poison from Saigon Kicks from Warrant from Quiet Riot from Ratt and on and on. I guess my disdain for most 80's hair bands equals your disdain for Grunge however my reasoning is they never brought anything of substance, musically or lyrically, to the table. 

Of course I completely respect anyones choice in musical tastes and even though I dislike 80's pop/metal, for the people who like it, good for them. Their tastes are neither better nor worse than mine, just different.

I loathe grunge for a lot of reasons, but predominantly because it's a loser's soundtrack for suicide written and performed by the suicidal. Say what you will about Ratt, Quiet Riot, Cinderella, Poison, etc. they have several hits that are great to crank on the open road. Grunge? It's all nothing but "my stomach hurts, wha wha wha, I'm contagious, wha wha wha". I was living in California at the time and good grief, between the grunge losers and the hip hop assholes it's a miracle I didn't take hostages. You mentioned Black Sabbath. It's funny, I can't stand them but I really enjoy Ozzy as a solo artist.    

11 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

I loathe grunge for a lot of reasons  

it was bankable and the parasite chubs saw a quick meal

you loathe it because it is void of beauty and the waaah waaaah is a crutch that feigns irony so as to avoid responsibility for self-inflicted malaise

5 hours ago, Dallas Knebs said:

you loathe it because it is void of beauty and the waaah waaaah is a crutch that feigns irony so as to avoid responsibility for self-inflicted malaise

That's one of the most "Eureka! moment" posts I've ever read. You are absolutely correct--THAT is it!

Archived