Slate Chocolate Marble
Slate Chocolate Marble

Led Zeppelin Official Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kroeger_Chad

Your favorite guitar players (better than Page)

68 posts in this topic

The words " better than" don't exist in my musical realm. I love the guitar so much that I love what each and every one of these players have brought into my life through their music....

Jimmy Page, Johnny Winter, Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Rory Gallagher, Garry Moore, James Burton, Roy Buchanan, Duane Allman, Hubert Sumlin, and i could go on....

John Mclaughlin is my favourite guitarist & I reckon he'll be one of Jimmy Page's as well, I think Jimmy took some tips off him in the 60s when they were doing sessions.

Just Pete Townshend. He seems to save his best playing for the concert stage, though. Jimmy Page is better in the studio.

Mmm....., I also am one who will not say one guitar player is better than the other. It is music, not a competition, it's a matter of personal preference/taste.

My favourites, besides Jimmy, include Brian May, Mark Knopfler, Jeff Beck and Eric Claption. Different players, with different styles, but all equally inspirational.

I'd also like to mention some dutch favourites (well..., I am a dutchie after all....): Adrian Vanderberg (Whitesnake, Vanderberg), George Kooymans (Golden Earring), Jan Akkerman (Focus) and Pablo van der Poel (DeWolff).

Maaike

Edited by Maaike Roeleveld

Just Pete Townshend. He seems to save his best playing for the concert stage, though. Jimmy Page is better in the studio.

...and on stage. :-)

Above everyone else ... Jimi Hendrix.

You see, Hendrix is good, but I've never personally ranked him that high.

Hendrix for sure. What he did was unique and no-one channeled themselves through the guitar like him. Page and others were amazing guitar players but Hendrix sounded otherworldly and an extra dimension to his playing. Machine gun live 1970 is unparalleled.

Jimi all the way! There's just something about the way he plays with so much feeling.

I also really like to listen to:

Jerry Garcia

Duane Allman

Robert Fripp

Steve Howe

Frank Zappa

I don't think anyone is a "better" guitarist than Jimmy Page.

My faves (not in any order)

Jimmy Page
Jimi Hendrix
Santana
David Gilmour
Mark Knopfler
Jeff Beck
SRV

Better than Page in his prime?????

Well....uh....no one

Hubert Sumlin was an influence on many...

Edited by ksgemini

Posted (edited)

Well....

Blind Lemon Jefferson,  Blind Blake, Barbeque Bob, Lonnie Johnson, T-Bone Walker, Elmore James, Lowell Fulson, Lightnin' Hopkins,  Lightnin' Slim, Freddie King, Albert King, BB King, Davey Graham, Jorma Kaukonen, John Cipollina, Barry Melton, Mike Bloomfield, Peter Green,  Mick Taylor, Dickey Betts, Duane Allman, Johnny Winter, Leslie Harvey, Charlie Whitney, Jerry Garcia, Frank Zappa, Bob Mould, J Mascis, Neil Young, Paul Kosoff, Leslie West, Chuck Prophet, John McLaughlin, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Carlos Santana,  Otis Rush, Buddy Guy....

....just to name a few  desismileys_3285.gif

The Big Blues of Albert King.jpg

Let's Hide Away.jpg

Let's Hide Away  III.jpg

Edited by Zino

None better. Plenty of good ones about though. Murray, Hammett, May. To name just 3. But NONE better. I feel as though i had to repeat that. NONE.

No one is better than pagey. But Rory Gallagher is terrific 

Other favorites besides Jimmy Page..

I'll keep it down to 10.. Could rattle off many more, but limiting the list makes it tougher. 

Steve Howe

Allan Holdsworth

Frank Zappa

Todd Rundgren

Pat Metheney

Ritchie Blackmore

Lindsey Buckingham

Robin Trower

Steve Hackett

Steve Hillage

Apart from Page:

Blackmore