John Paul Jones quote about The Who

ClashWho

Okay, Led Zeppelin experts, I remember reading a quote from (I think) John Paul Jones in a Led Zeppelin book where he said that after seeing The Who in concert he felt Led Zeppelin was positively tame in comparison. Anyone know where that quote can be found?

Would be amazed if any member of Zep publicly stated they felt "tame in comparison" to any band when talking about live performances.....

I think the "tame in comparison" quote from John Paul Jones is from a TV interview when asked about Zeppelin offstage behaviour trashing hotels etc ... he laughed and said something along the lines of " why do we get the bad reputation.....the Who used explosives !!"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

The Who were pretty over the top at times, almost seeming on the verge of out of control on stage. Maybe that is what he meant.

The Who were a less interesting Kinks to my ears with a singer whose talents should have been matched up with someone like Keith Richards or Jeff Beck or something along those lines. But hey, they were great at destroying and smashing the very instruments which they claim gave them inspiration. Not sure why. but there attitude towards guitars really turned me off.

The Who were a less interesting Kinks to my ears with a singer whose talents should have been matched up with someone like Keith Richards or Jeff Beck or something along those lines. But hey, they were great at destroying and smashing the very instruments which they claim gave them inspiration. Not sure why. but there attitude towards guitars really turned me off.

Most of PTs smashed guitars were repaired so he could smash them again, all part of the show. Pete still chucks them around now I saw him do it when The Who played Liverpool last December.

• 3 weeks later...

No member of Led Zeppelin ever said that. All you have to listen to is the quote from Jonesy where he states they were better than whoever was #2. Love how confident and cocky Jones was, and is.

• 3 months later...

Would be amazed if any member of Zep publicly stated they felt "tame in comparison" to any band when talking about live performances.....

I think the "tame in comparison" quote from John Paul Jones is from a TV interview when asked about Zeppelin offstage behaviour trashing hotels etc ... he laughed and said something along the lines of " why do we get the bad reputation.....the Who used explosives !!"

JPJ maybe referring to The Who's off-stage antics; particularly Keith Moon's penchant for blowing up toilets. Also, Pete Townshend confessed to doing his share of hotel destruction as well in his autobiography.

The Who used exaggerated violence onstage, smashing crap, Pete Townshend has stated quite clearly it was an artistic act, and very deliberate. Auto destruction or some phrase like that.

But Zeps intensity was internalized, and it manifested itself naturally. When you have the most violent drummer of all time behind you, there is no need to smash your instruments onstage to prove a point.

The audience itself was pulverized, not the instruments.

Okay, Led Zeppelin experts, I remember reading a quote from (I think) John Paul Jones in a Led Zeppelin book where he said that after seeing The Who in concert he felt Led Zeppelin was positively tame in comparison. Anyone know where that quote can be found?

Hi ClashWho!

If you have the biography channel or sometimes on the history channel---it is called- Led Zeppelin:Dazed & Confused. That interview is on that. :-)

Archived