2015 MLB BASEBALL THREAD

Strider

Real.  We blew two 3-1 leads  vs the Pirates.  They all danced in the stands to "We are Family".  A song I hate.  We did win one of those series as we went to 3 in a row. We beat the big Red machine 4-1 in 1970, a series in which Brooks Robinson was the MVP and robbed Johnny Bench blind on a slam down the line and made some spectacular plays.  McNally, who like Palmer is one of our greatest all time pitchers and a member of that 4 20 game winner rotation, hit a grand slam vs the Reds.  Clemente was the best Pirate ever.  One of the best players of all time. 

The Mets have their big 3 coming up I guess, so they cannot be counted out yet

Well I feel for Wright.  He can go get a beer with Scott Norwood and Buckner.  They would not have gotten this far without him.  But this is baseball and I know all too well that no lead is safe as my Orioles blew 2 Series in the 70s to the Pirates.  Willie Stargel and that jive ass garbage "we are family"!?

Why are you putting the onus on Wright and lumping him in with those other two goats? Murphy and Cespedes are the ones who had the blunders last night. Hell, every time I look up Cespedes is kicking the ball around out there...go back to Game 1 and that inside-the-park HR was his fault. Plus, Cespedes' bat has been non-existent. David Wright is not the reason the Mets are losing, Rick.

The long layoff hasn't helped the Mets (except last night) or any other team with layoffs like that, when they dominate their round before the WS. Many teams have had these probs before such as Detroit a few years ago, many Braves teams and the '76 Yankees for sure.

Say what? :blink: 

If anything it was the Cincinnati Reds who had to wait around for the Yankees to start the 1976 World Series. The Reds swept their NLCS with the Phillies 3-0, while the Yankees had a battle with the Royals in the ALCS, going the full 5 games before winning 3 games to 2.

Not that it mattered who got too much or too little rest...nobody was beating the Reds that year, whatever the circumstances. The 1976 Cincinnati Reds are still the only team to sweep their way to the World Series title.

Was that garbage or real?  I always liked Stargell but maybe you know more about this than I do as I was in Jr. High than back in '79 during this.

Real.  We blew two 3-1 leads  vs the Pirates.  They all danced in the stands to "We are Family".  A song I hate.  We did win one of those series as we went to 3 in a row. We beat the big Red machine 4-1 in 1970, a series in which Brooks Robinson was the MVP and robbed Johnny Bench blind on a slam down the line and made some spectacular plays.  McNally, who like Palmer is one of our greatest all time pitchers and a member of that 4 20 game winner rotation, hit a grand slam vs the Reds.  Clemente was the best Pirate ever.  One of the best players of all time. 

It was real, Super Dave, but Rick is only half-right. The "We Are Family" craze was only for the 1979 year...in 1971 the song hadn't even been recorded yet.

Sister Sledge's "We Are Family" was adopted by the Pirates and their fans as their motto and theme song in 1979 and you'd hear it all the time watching Pirates games on TV.

Of course 1979 was the last time Pittsburgh got anywhere within sniffin' distance to the World Series, so I don't know what Rick is complaining about. The 1979 Pirates were a one-and-done team...the Orioles still had some juice to them, getting back to the World Series in the 1980s.

Yeah, I know anything is possible in sports, but I can't see KC choking away a 3-1 lead & the Mets pen has been so unreliable in this Series. 

I don't like it, but the Mets are dead--KC will most likely be popping that champagne tonight....

It's not impossible paul c. Harvey just has to pitch the game of his life. Just as Cueto stepped up Big Time when Kansas City needed him most in Game 2.

Aww Shoot! Too far gone for tonight for the Royals.

Well, at least someone is rooting for the Royals besides me. I'm just hoping we put the series away tonight so I don't have to go to work on zero hours of sleep after game 6 (and possibly 7).

Sorry Paul and ST and Dave.  That was a rough loss.  

That said, congrats to the Royals.  There didn't seem to be any stopping them.

I'll miss baseball for the next few months.

Man, the Royals are relentless.  They just refused to lose and they deserved to win this.  Congratulations to KC and to World Series MVP, Salvador Perez.  My cousin is ecstatic.  She had a watch party at her house, complete with pizza and champagne, this evening and they were celebrating when I called her.  

Damn! George Brett looks old but then I have to remember he's in sixties now.

I tip my cap to the Kansas City Royals and congratulate them on winning the chanmpionship. They play baseball the way I like to see it played...great pitching and defense and relentless in doing all the little things instead of relying on three-run home runs. That's how the Angels used to play...and how they won the World Series in 2002. That's why I picked the Royals to win in our baseball pool.

Super Dave, Stargroves Tangie, paul carruthers...they are all great people and so I feel bad for them that the season ends on a disappointing note for the Mets. But Kansas City has been without a champion for 30 years since the Royals last won in 1985 ( a year before the last Mets title)...the Chiefs suck and there's no pro basketball team in KC anymore, so the Royals are all that KC has. The Royals winning should give hope to Detroit, Houston, Toronto, Cleveland, Baltimore, and other cities suffering championship droughts.

Congrats to the Royals on their World Series victory,  they played like champions and are well-deserving of being the best team in baseball. 

Congrats to my Mets as well,  they played their hearts out but in the end it wasn't enough. But I am very proud of them- most people didn't expect them to get this far this year- and am equally as proud to be a New York Mets fan!  Definitely not disappointed in them (the only thing that I'm disappointed about is that Jacob deGrom is going to cut his hair LOL), thanks guys for making this an enjoyable baseball season! See ya next year. ...

It's not impossible paul c. Harvey just has to pitch the game of his life. Just as Cueto stepped up Big Time when Kansas City needed him most in Game 2.

I was somewhat down on Harvey, with the things that were going on with him at the end of the regular season. But he did show to be a big game pitcher in the post season, which is just another plus - looking ahead to future seasons with this awesome starting pitching staff. Unless Colon is planning on retiring, I wonder if they might try to make him a long reliever?

I guess the poor showings of Cespedes and Murphy in the World Series will be the deciding factor in not offering them any big contracts to return, in spite of their earlier bravado that helped the Mets get that far.

Well, I'm not going to do too much crying about it--granted, I picked the Mets to win the division but I don't honestly know if I expected them to go all the way to the big dance. Of course, I could moan about how that 6 day layoff between the NLCS and World Series probably hurt them, but I won't. 

I look forward to 2016....

Fantastic! :thumbsup:That's such a good feeling when your team wins. Have fun, DAS.

Whole town is shutting down tomorrow. Schools are closed, businesses are closing, there's peace on earth and goodwill towards fans. It's like Christmas came early.

Whole town is shutting down tomorrow. Schools are closed, businesses are closing, there's peace on earth and goodwill towards fans. It's like Christmas came early.

Have fun at the victory parade! According to my cousin, there was an event for the Royals at Kaufman stadium today as well. She attended it since she's traveling for business tomorrow.

Congrats to the Royals on their World Series victory,  they played like champions and are well-deserving of being the best team in baseball. 

Congrats to my Mets as well,  they played their hearts out but in the end it wasn't enough. But I am very proud of them- most people didn't expect them to get this far this year- and am equally as proud to be a New York Mets fan!  Definitely not disappointed in them (the only thing that I'm disappointed about is that Jacob deGrom is going to cut his hair LOL), thanks guys for making this an enjoyable baseball season! See ya next year. ...

What is with deGrom and Syndegaard's rocker hairdos?

Archived