How to Clone a Woolly Mammoth

LedZeppfan77

I recorded this documentary on my DVR about this new Mammoth they found in the Siberian ice. This one is the best ever found. The meat was red and there was blood taken. They are very certain they can clone this Mammoth and bring it back. It is 43,000 years old!!!! A Harvard professor says he can clone the Mammoth without a complete cell. But they may have their cell. They are still working on it and the first stages are being done. Its amazing to think of. They have done it for the rich for exotic species of dogs and such. This would be right out of Jurassic Park and its incredible to me. The Harvard guy envisions the Artic and Siberia having thousands of them to bring back the grass in place of the Tundra. I am all for it. And If they could ever find a Sabre tooth Tiger in this condition the same would be amazing. I see nothing wrong with it. There is so much to learn from this Mammoth. They have stool remains that are in incredible condition. 43,000 years!!!!!! The Pyramids were built and Jesus walked the Earth after the life and death of this animal. This is only the beginning of ground breaking research. Scientists are very excited about this. I am sure it will be on again. I suggest you watch it. It was on Smithsonian so if you do not get this the title is exactly what I posted as the title and You Tube probably has it already

It may be possible, I guess. But doesn't the freezing process, somehow hurt the makeup of the cells?

I'd like to see this Documentary. If someone can find it on youtube, could you please post a link.

Side issue here, but check out what scientists have in store for future. http://www.2045.com/ Note the avatar on the right. They're saying within 5 years, they want it possible to transplant your brain into an avatar at your moment of death. Wild stuff about DNA and tech going on.

What happened to the complete mammoth they removed from the ice some years back?

. I have often wondered this too! My guess is it was not as well preserved as this rare find. The DNA would be placed in the embryo of the Asian elephants, and a cloned baby mammoth would be born after a gestation period of approximately two years. I am for it and the animal would be well cared for. After time and perhaps a couple of generations we would have brought back a long extinct species. It could be done to other species, for instance a Sabre tooth tiger if they could find a well preserved remains.

What happened to the complete mammoth they removed from the ice some years back?

Asians have to eat too, Bro.

. I have often wondered this too! My guess is it was not as well preserved as this rare find. The DNA would be placed in the embryo of the Asian elephants, and a cloned baby mammoth would be born after a gestation period of approximately two years. I am for it and the animal would be well cared for. After time and perhaps a couple of generations we would have brought back a long extinct species. It could be done to other species, for instance a Sabre tooth tiger if they could find a well preserved remains.

Whoa Whoa! What does well cared for mean? Hey luvlz2 brought up a video. And I'm very appreciative for the video trailer. I'd love to hear the whole documentary. But did you hear what paleobiologist Tori Herridge said before they cut her off?

It was something to the effect of:

"at the moment, there doesn't seem to be a way of doing this without involving some Asian elephants. And I can't see that we can justify experimenting on those."

I would be curious too, but I concur with Tori.

Attempting to bring back extinct animals via cloning is nothing new.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/13/130310-extinct-species-cloning-deextinction-genetics-science/

I've always liked this line from Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum), in Jurassic Park, "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not
they could that they didn't stop to think if they should!?"

http://www.tarpits.org/page-museum/exhibits

This is insane. A completely foolish idea that would have disastrous consequences.

Evolution and the extinction of certain animal species happens for a reason. To reintroduce an animal that has not existed for millions of years into the present ecosystem would wreak havoc. Any scientist that would attempt such a foolhardy notion should be charged with reckless endangerment.

Another line from Ian Malcolm, "Hold on, this is no species that was obliterated by deforestation or the building of a dam,

Dinosaurs had their shot, Nature selected them for extinction."

Michael Crichton's Jurassic Park was on the money, questioning the morality and reponsibilities of Genetic Engineering, science for science sake and scientists "playing" God and how corporations put profit before benefit for the common good and the consequences that follow.

Climate conditions would have been similar to what we have today so it is possible to "sustain" them if they were cloned.

The habitat of these warm blooded furred woolly mammals and other species of the time, it would obviously be a cold environment similar to Alaska, Siberia or the Himalayas as well as many other places on the planet.

It was only extreme temperatures brought about by the Ice Age that killed them off, mostly frozen to death.

Do you relocate them to their place of origin (wherever that may be), or a facsimile?

What benefit would there be in "greening" the Tundra, wouldn't this contribute in upsetting the balance of nature and ecosystems of the region?

What really caused their demise?

Was their extinction by design, Natural Selection or some other biotic crisis or mass species extinction event, such as an Axis Shift causing the Ice Age?

One last question,

Why?

This is insane. A completely foolish idea that would have disastrous consequences.

Evolution and the extinction of certain animal species happens for a reason. To reintroduce an animal that has not existed for millions of years into the present ecosystem would wreak havoc. Any scientist that would attempt such a foolhardy notion should be charged with reckless endangerment.

Don't you think it would be awesome to see some pterodactyls zipping around the canyons of New York City sans CGI effects? I'd like to see one perch on Woody Allen's balcony. :)

What about the coelacanth?

http://www.dinofish.com/

I would love to find a mammoth tusk like they recently did in Seattle and sell it to the highest scrimshander bidder. :)

post-503-0-32361500-1417917111_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I strongly disagree with you and think its a great idea to do it. So the Do Do Bird was targeted for extinction? The passenger pidgeon, which did so much good. What do you say about that? What reason would there be for the modern day Tiger or white Rhino to become extinct as they are now threatened? I can name other examples but wont waste my time. This is something they should absolutely do. they are not bringing back a human so you cant argue morality issues on this one.

I strongly disagree with you and think its a great idea to do it.

Hey LedZeppfan77. How's it goin? I think I might pick Oakland for this week. Sorry. Wrong thread.

Why do you think it's a great idea to do it?

This is something they should absolutely do. they are not bringing back a human so you cant argue morality issues on this one.

They're not bringing back a Wooly Mammoth either. They're creating a hybrid.

Hey LedZeppfan77. How's it goin? I think I might pick Oakland for this week. Sorry. Wrong thread.

Why do you think it's a great idea to do it?

They're not bringing back a Wooly Mammoth either. They're creating a hybrid.

2nd or 3rd generation would be pretty much the exact animal

This is a really dumb idea. The world as it exists today is not a place for a Mammoth. Furthermore, the animal would be harmed because it would be treated and expected to live the life of an experiment. The elephant family is a very unique species of animal. Instead of spending money to "bring back" those who passed naturally, the attention should be placed on saving those that are about to go because of human mistakes. I don't understand people anymore at all.

• 1 year later...
On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2014 at 2:01 AM, Reggie29 said:

Attempting to bring back extinct animals via cloning is nothing new.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/13/130310-extinct-species-cloning-deextinction-genetics-science/

I've always liked this line from Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum), in Jurassic Park, "Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not
they could that they didn't stop to think if they should!?"

http://www.nature.com/news/crispr-gene-editing-tested-in-a-person-for-the-first-time-1.20988

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/i-joined-an-underground-medical-movement-but-had-to-become-a-cyborg-to-do-it-2016-11-15

Glowing cats are a thing of the past. I don't like where this is going.

Archived