Led Zeppelin Ipswich gig poster sells for £2,500

Curt

Wow, that's like $4500 Canadian for a poster. Collectors take the shit seriously. I much rather spend it on my kids doing something, but all the power to them if that drives them. Impressive, a lot of money.

Never underestimate the power of nostalgia and sentimentality, and besides kids don't appreciate anything anyway. :P

The story first came out that the poster failed to sell at the auction, as none of the bidders reached the reserve price of 2,500 pounds. So, rather than lose the poster to the person who put it up for auction, the highest bidder agreed to pay the 2,500 minimum...an extra 500 pounds. To be fair, it is signed by Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, and John Paul Jones. No Bonham though. Dig the price of the concert ticket...one measly pound. And still I bet somebody griped about the price of tickets back then. Ingrates.

I have a question for posters who collect Zep memorabilia: Do the posters advertising European shows tend to cost more than ones advertising American shows? From what I've read, the band did more gigs in the U.S. than anywhere else so I would assume there are more posters, etc. advertising those shows.

I have a question for posters who collect Zep memorabilia: Do the posters advertising European shows tend to cost more than ones advertising American shows? From what I've read, the band did more gigs in the U.S. than anywhere else so I would assume there are more posters, etc. advertising those shows.

The rarity and design of the posters seems to drive value more so than location. One thing to bear in mind is that fairly early on they no longer needed posters to promote their shows. That is to say although they played far more shows outside of Europe, there are no posters for many of those shows.

The rarity and design of the posters seems to drive value more so than location. One thing to bear in mind is that fairly early on they no longer needed posters to promote their shows. That is to say although they played far more shows outside of Europe, there are no posters for many of those shows.

This is true. Maybe it was because I grew up in Orange County as opposed to Los Angeles County, but I don't remember seeing a single promotional poster around town for any of the Led Zeppelin shows I saw. None for sale at the merch table, such as it was, at the gigs, either.

• 6 months later...

Yeah..after a few years they did not need to promote their shows. I have a few rare concert posters and flyers. Honestly, the few people that I talked to who collected them were not so nice:(. I think it's cause they are so expensive.

• 1 year later...

Archived