SET YOUR DVR! DARLENE LOVE & David Letterman's Final Holiday Show

Strider

This thread is dedicated to ebk, who shares my passion for Darlene Love.

For those of us that have been watching for the last 30 years, Darlene Love's annual performance of "Christmas(Baby Please Come Home)" on David Letterman's Holiday show the Friday before Christmas is just as much a treasured Christmas ritual as "A Charlie Brown Christmas", "It's A Wonderful Life", and Glühwein.

Tonight is the Friday before Christmas, which means it is time to set your tivo or dvr for the Late Show with Letterman on CBS tonight. Alas, David Letterman is retiring next May, which means this will be his last Holiday show and Darlene Love has intimated that she won't do this for anybody else's show.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/12/15/watch-darlene-love-sing-christmas-baby-please-come-home-on-letterman-over-the-years/

CBS has posted a nice tribute video to Darlene Love comprising all her past appearances on Dave's show:

http://youtu.be/RfurmGiKZ5k

I can guarantee you I will be crying buckets tonight.

The first ever appearance, complete with Spuds MacKenzie Bud Light commercial, and a thank you to tonight's other guest, Jay Leno!

The outfit is...amazing.

And thanks for this thread, Strider!!

Great thread!!! I can't wait for tonight !

It quickly became a festive tradition for me so next year won't feel quite the same.

I'm on the West Coast so I have the luxury of watching the early East Coast feed and then the West one later.

Despite the demons that may have driven his life, it is impossible to come up with a better Christmas record than " A Christmas Gift For You" from Phil Spector....

Jay Thomas to Dave: We'll never see each other again.

Dave to Jay: That's right.

Ha!!

Darlene looked and sounded fabulous!! Loved the dress. Started crying when the snow started falling...and continued crying all the way through Craig Ferguson's magnificent opening. My late nights will be significantly less entertaining now...

Never heard of her

Bloody English. I guess the BBC was too busy shoving Cliff Richard down your throat. ;)

Me neither!

I have to listen to this song OVER and OVER ( along with every other damn song that has the word " christmas "in it ) at work every day for 2 months .....

Can't stand Letterman.

But she does seem to have a great voice :)

Bloody Aussies. The people who gave us the didgeridoo. ;)

Great thread!!! I can't wait for tonight !

It quickly became a festive tradition for me so next year won't feel quite the same.

I'm on the West Coast so I have the luxury of watching the early East Coast feed and then the West one later.

Despite the demons that may have driven his life, it is impossible to come up with a better Christmas record than " A Christmas Gift For You" from Phil Spector....

Finally, someone who knows a classic when he hears one.

Sure, much of the holiday music played in offices and on the radio is treacly garbage. But Phil Spector's Christmas album "A Christmas Gift For You" is a stone solid classic, along with "A Charlie Brown Christmas", and the Christmas albums from Nat King Cole, Mel Torme, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, and Ella Fitzgerald.

It is a shame Darlene Love and the Ronettes and the Crystals and other artists that were in the Phil Spector stable aren't more known outside the U.S. But that is what is great about the documentary "20 Feet from Stardom". It shines a light on those like Darlene Love who have been out of the spotlight for too long.

Jay Thomas to Dave: We'll never see each other again.

Dave to Jay: That's right.

Ha!!

Darlene looked and sounded fabulous!! Loved the dress. Started crying when the snow started falling...and continued crying all the way through Craig Ferguson's magnificent opening. My late nights will be significantly less entertaining now...

And Jay Thomas once again knocked the meatball off the Christmas tree!

Most excellent, indeed, ebk...and fortunately, I also caught the last Craig Ferguson show with that great opening bit (with Sex Pistol Steve Jones on guitar). I wasn't even aware that it was Craig's last show...I knew he was leaving but I thought it would be next year around the same time as Dave. I'll miss the wacky Scot...and his robot Geoff. Jay Leno once again showed he is much better as a guest than a host of a talk show. It was reminiscent of his funny appearances on Dave in the 1980s when Dave was on NBC.

Oh, and thank you, ebk, for posting Darlene's first performance on Letterman from 1986. Love how bare and stripped down it is compared to now...and Sid's and Will's hair.

The end of an era.

But Phil Spector's Christmas album "A Christmas Gift For You" is a stone solid classic, along with "A Charlie Brown Christmas", and the Christmas albums from Nat King Cole, Mel Torme, Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra, and Ella Fitzgerald.

It is a shame Darlene Love and the Ronettes and the Crystals and other artists that were in the Phil Spector stable aren't more known outside the U.S. But that is what is great about the documentary "20 Feet from Stardom". It shines a light on those like Darlene Love who have been out of the spotlight for too long.

And Jay Thomas once again knocked the meatball off the Christmas tree!

Most excellent, indeed, ebk...and fortunately, I also caught the last Craig Ferguson show with that great opening bit (with Sex Pistol Steve Jones on guitar). I wasn't even aware that it was Craig's last show...I knew he was leaving but I thought it would be next year around the same time as Dave. I'll miss the wacky Scot...and his robot Geoff. Jay Leno once again showed he is much better as a guest than a host of a talk show. It was reminiscent of his funny appearances on Dave in the 1980s when Dave was on NBC.

Oh, and thank you, ebk, for posting Darlene's first performance on Letterman from 1986. Love how bare and stripped down it is compared to now...and Sid's and Will's hair.

The end of an era.

Strider, it's like you have my Christmas album list right there! Truly the best of the bunch.

As for Craig, he's one of a kind. I'll really miss his show. It had it's ups and downs, but the ups were incredibly high!! In addition to the wonderful opening, I thought the ending was brilliant. Loved, loved, loved the throwbacks to previous show finales - Newhart, St Elsewhere and The Sopranos.

End of an era indeed. Looks like I'll be getting more sleep...

Archived