Peter Grant Trivia ?

kingzoso

Does anyone know what Peter Grant was referring to when he said that he got the "burnt sausages?

In what context?

For that matter what does 'In for a quick garden' mean?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_wtkJ8j1Uc

Consensus in the past was it had a sexual connotation...what do gardeners do...they fertilize...IN for a quick garden. However, I've pointed out they were tax exiles at the time and so it could have been a poke at the establishment and the BBC...in for a bit of TCB.

I've also thought that it may have been a popular figure of speech in use at the time but have seen or heard nothing to support that.

In what context?

Consensus in the past was it had a sexual connotation...what do gardeners do...they fertilize...IN for a quick garden. However, I've pointed out they were tax exiles at the time and so it could have been a poke at the establishment and the BBC...in for a bit of TCB.

I've also thought that it may have been a popular figure of speech in use at the time but have seen or heard nothing to support that.

Thanks Steve. :thumbsup:

I think the burnt sausages comment refers to the leftovers or discards going to those no longer in favor in the eyes of someone else, ie a former lover no longer showing favor. Grant was said to have made this remark when he suspected that his wife, Gloria had eyes for Jim, a hired hand who helped out on the Grant estate. It was one sign that Peter's marriage was falling apart.

Yes. This is the correct answer. One day when Peter was having breakfast with his wife, Gloria, and the farmhand Peter noticed that the farmhand got the good sausages and he got the burnt sausages.

This is a direct quote from Peter Grant from the Chris Welch book, Peter Grant: The Man Who Led Zeppelin page 178:

"When I came back from the tour I was having breakfast and sitting at the breakfast table was this farm manager. And he didn't get the burnt sausage. Then I realised (sic) something was up."

I think the burnt sausages comment refers to the leftovers or discards going to those no longer in favor in the eyes of someone else, ie a former lover no longer showing favor. Grant was said to have made this remark when he suspected that his wife, Gloria had eyes for Jim, a hired hand who helped out on the Grant estate. It was one sign that Peter's marriage was falling apart.

Oh, yes I do remember that now.

The context can be found in the book Peter Grant, the Man Who Made Led Zeppelin.

Next to the hard drug use, the inside relationship that Peter had with namely Jimmy Page is one cloaked in whispers and indirect answers from insiders. Led Zeppelin, the Oral history is full of such examples. Suffices to say that Grant's vision and management was a vital element to the success of Led Zep.

Is that to refer that Peter and Jimmy were gay with each other? Not that this is wrong, but I really don't see that being the case.

Don't think so.

I am just finishing re-reading that book for the 5th or 6th time and I am curious as to what you meant by that sort of cryptic statement.

By the way, according to that book, someone is quoted as saying that Peter Grant is once said to have said that starting and forming Swan Song was the biggest mistake that he (Peter) ever made.

The way that people can make their dreams and goals a reality is far more interesting to know than the superficial, such as gender preferance, which seems to be a stylish topic this days. Just as amazing is to find someone willing to mentor you and put their necks on the line so that you have a chance to make it.

Not to sound impolite or indifferent (or ignorant), but I have to honestly say that I really have no idea as to what your true meaning of the above posts that you posted. I get where you are coming from, but I think that you need to be more specific of what you actually post and mean. So far, I get what you say but I do not get what you mean.

I know enough from my knowledge and My copious amount of my readings of Led Zeppelin that began for me in 1985 up till this very day that Jimmy Page and Peter Grant had a very special and tight relationship during the years of 1968-1980. I do know and believe that Peter Grant Loved Jimmy Page and Jimmy Page Loved Peter Grant. If it was not for the both of Them, I believe the Hard Rock and Heavy Metal that most of Us Love (or hate) would not be the same and the whole Rock and Roll and Heavy Metal Genre would be completely different.

That is just My Opinion.

According to that book, someone is quoted as saying that Peter Grant is once said to have said that starting and forming Swan Song was the biggest mistake that he (Peter) ever made.

I can believe that. Forming their own label wasn't rooted in necessity so much as vanity and ego.

The key to key to understanding Led Zep is to understand the relationship between Peter and Jimmy, as stated in that book as well as the book on Grant. In this current culture when business rarely operates on the communication and genius of only a small group of individuals free from outside rules and standards, it would be of value to know how that key to success worked on a daily basis. How incredibly lucky an artist or anyone else would be to find an influential person who was willing to put their total energy, skill and faith into that artist's career. Two people able to generate that much success at the same time as creating their own terms without interference: how often does that happen nowadays and can that formula still even work now?

In this regard, Grant was a pioneer within the music business. He literally changed the rules of the game and Jimmy Page was indeed very fortunate to have had such visionary and committed management.

IMHO, the music business has changed to such a degree that it would not be possible for them or anyone to take the same "us against the world" stance nowadays and prevail. For one thing, monopolist ticketing agencies like Live Nation and Ticket Master have replaced to some extent the relationships managers cultivated with promoters. For another, artists are not afforded ample opportunity to grow and experiment. Releasing one album that flops can result in being dropped from a label. Finally, the endless

promotional duties are not to be taken lightly and cannot be ignored.

"Grant was a pioneer within the music business. He literally changed the rules of the game and Jimmy Page was indeed very fortunate to have had such visionary and committed management."

Peter had the Executive Producer stamp on virtually everything LZ did. Is anyone aware of a case where Peter said, "No, bollocks to that idea ! " ;-)

"Grant was a pioneer within the music business. He literally changed the rules of the game and Jimmy Page was indeed very fortunate to have had such visionary and committed management."

Peter had the Executive Producer stamp on virtually everything LZ did. Is anyone aware of a case where Peter said, "No, bollocks to that idea ! " ;-)

I think that Led Zeppelin's refusal to play at the 1969 Woodstock Festival might be a good case of Peter Grant saying "No". To him, Led Zeppelin would have just been another band on the bill. Of course this was within the first year of Led Zeppelin's formation and Peter didn't think that the band would really benefit from being on a long list of other (and in some cases) more established acts at that time.

I think that Led Zeppelin's refusal to play at the 1969 Woodstock Festival might be a good case of Peter Grant saying "No". To him, Led Zeppelin would have just been another band on the bill. Of course this was within the first year of Led Zeppelin's formation and Peter didn't think that the band would really benefit from being on a long list of other (and in some cases) more established acts at that time.

http://www.app.com/story/news/local/2014/08/23/led-zeppelin-turned-woodstock-asbury-park/14496865/

KZ, you are dead on right. I had had heard that story before but forgot. "Thanks for 'at" - Jonesy, from the Studio Daze bootlog, intro to "All My Love".

I also heard how Jethro Tull turned down Woodstock, from Hawaii ... "Did they want to spend a weekend in NY at a pig farmer's field [with a bunch of smelly hippies]"? ;-)

I remember reading about that, how Led Zep did not play Woodstock. They played the Convention Hall in Asbury Park (New Jersey) instead.

As a big fan of Bruce Springsteen, I visited Asbury Park a few times and quite a few locals told me about this gig. They told me members of the E-street band (the line-up they had back then, including Vini Lopez on drums) were actually there. I don't know if Bruce himself was there or not.......

Does anyone know?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Unsure if Peter ever identified someone for the record, but Jeff Beck definitely comes to mind.

It wasn't Jeff Beck however I am sure that Beck is up there because of his moodiness and temperament during his latter days in the Yardbirds.

Unsure if Peter ever identified someone for the record, but Jeff Beck definitely comes to mind.

Haven't heard Grant identify him for the record, but Gene Vincent was always a troubled act for Peter back in the early days.

Haven't heard Grant identify him for the record, but Gene Vincent was always a troubled act for Peter back in the early days.

The answer is Paul Rodgers.

This comes directly from Peter Grant's interview conducted by Dave Lewis in 1993 as reprinted in Dave Lewis' book: Led Zeppelin 'The Tight But Loose Files'-Celebration II on page 100.

Dave Lewis: "And then Jimmy went to work with Paul Rodgers".

Peter Grant: "That was initially my idea because he's a great singer. The only problem is he is such a difficult man to deal with and I think that's what went wrong in the end with the Firm. Of all the artists I've known he's even more difficult than Chuck Berry".

Archived