Songs That Have Grown On You

BlackDog71

I've always loved Led Zeppelin's music. And pretty much nearly all of their songs. But there has always been songs I prefer over others. Which is pretty much how it is with ANY band someone likes. But, with Zeppelin, it's often been different. Over my stretch of years as a fan of them, I have really learned to give certain songs I don't love on the first couple of listens a real try. And it usually pays off. I wanted to create a topic where people can tell me some of the songs that they've really grown to love with more listens. Feel free to tell me why for each if you want. I think it would be cool to see if other people have had similar experiences. Not sure if this topic has been brought up before. I've never seen it.

Here's a list of some of the songs (off the top of my head) that I have really grown to enjoy and love over the years. Even though I never disliked any of them:

The Wanton Song (the main guitar riff and BONZO! 'NUFF SAID!)

Four Sticks (Bonzo again!)

Tea For One (Love the lyrics. Very easy song for me to relate to.)

Out on the Tiles (Love the beat to the song. "Bathroom Sound" on the LZ III re-master has opened me up to this song.)

The Ocean (It's a fun song about Zeppelin's fans. The last couple minutes is fun to jam to in the car.)

Custard Pie (Another combo of the guitar riff and Bonham's drumming. Oh, and the song's subject matter too. :thumbsup: )

In the Evening (It has this eerie feeling to it for me. Hard to explain it, but I love it now.)

Dancing Days (Always liked it. I now LOVE it. I get excited every time I hear it. Such a fun song with a catchy melody.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm sure I could come up with more, but that's my list right now.

Let me know yours.

I never liked The Wanton Song but it's grown on me a bit. Always loved Tea for One, Out on the Tiles, the Ocean, In the Evening. Still don't like Custard Pie that much but it's grown on me a bit too. Dancing Days was totally overplayed on the radio in the mid to late 70s and I grew sick of it! Always liked Four Sticks but like it better now because I realize no one other than Plant could ever sing that song. Believe it or not the song that's grown on me the most over the years is Whole Lotta Love. I thought the lyrics and Plant's moaning were kind of silly and over-the-top when I first heard it. However now when I listen to it I realize it's a very well-constructed song.

The Wanton Song (the main guitar riff and BONZO! 'NUFF SAID!)

Four Sticks (Bonzo again!)

Tea For One (Love the lyrics. Very easy song for me to relate to.)

Out on the Tiles (Love the beat to the song. "Bathroom Sound" on the LZ III re-master has opened me up to this song.)

The Ocean (It's a fun song about Zeppelin's fans. The last couple minutes is fun to jam to in the car.)

Custard Pie (Another combo of the guitar riff and Bonham's drumming. Oh, and the song's subject matter too. :thumbsup: )

In the Evening (It has this eerie feeling to it for me. Hard to explain it, but I love it now.)

Dancing Days (Always liked it. I now LOVE it. I get excited every time I hear it. Such a fun song with a catchy melody.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I never liked The Wanton Song but it's grown on me a bit. Always loved Tea for One, Out on the Tiles, the Ocean, In the Evening. Still don't like Custard Pie that much but it's grown on me a bit too. Dancing Days was totally overplayed on the radio in the mid to late 70s and I grew sick of it! Always liked Four Sticks but like it better now because I realize no one other than Plant could ever sing that song. Believe it or not the song that's grown on me the most over the years is Whole Lotta Love. I thought the lyrics and Plant's moaning were kind of silly and over-the-top when I first heard it. However now when I listen to it I realize it's a very well-constructed song.

Are you sure you're a real Zeppelin fan?

One word... Carouselambra. When I first heard it a few months ago, it's fair to say I HATED it, like "what were they thinking!?" hated it... now it's "all hail the mighty Zep", even in their grief-stricken (Plant) and drug-addled (Page) state, they still come up with sonic alchemy... Jonesy really hit it out of the park with that one.

Call me what you want, but I'm such a fan, that I think only four songs are substandard( all the rest are great or fantastic): The Crunge, Royal Orleans, Candy store rock and Walter's walk and they have damn grown on me!

discovered more acoustic-ish stuff later, like Down by the Seaside, Black Country Woman ~

"Sing loud for the sunshine, pray hard for the rain
show your love for Lady Nature

she will come back again..."

and

"Hey, hey, mama, what is wrong with you
You didn't have to leave me like a total disgrace
You didn't have to leave me with that beer on my face..."

• 3 weeks later...

I never payed it much attention till I saw this on DVD-

That's another one that really became a favorite. I never skipped over it, but it was also that performance of it that really made me take note of ALS's greatness. Probably in my Top 5 Zeppelin songs. If I can even make such a list.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

For a while, I wasn't big on The Wanton Song, Tea for One, and until very recently, In The Light.

Why?

Mainly because the opening seconds were deceiving of the actual song. Stupid me, I now know they are killer songs.

I don't really know why I skipped The Wanton Song so often. I think I must have got it confused with a not-so-great track from ITTOD or Coda and always assumed it wasn't good. But TWS drives so hard! That riff!

The opening riff of Tea for One is not indicative of the slow, mournful blues within. That's why I always skipped it. It wasn't until I read the unauthorized biography 'Jimmy Page: Magis, Magician, Man', and read that TFO is one of Zep's three great blues numbers that I gave it a shot. As I said earlier: stupid me!

In the Light took a long time for me because it starts off with that slow drone that I always just got tired of and (what I always though were) boring vocals from Robert. But when that main riff kicks in - it's a whole other song! I love it.

• 2 months later...

In the Light took a long time for me because it starts off with that slow drone that I always just got tired of and (what I always though were) boring vocals from Robert. But when that main riff kicks in - it's a whole other song! I love it.

I totally get where you're coming from when it comes to "In the Light." It took me a long time to love the song too. Now, i look forward to hearing it when I listen to Physical Graffiti. 

One word... Carouselambra. When I first heard it a few months ago, it's fair to say I HATED it, like "what were they thinking!?" hated it... now it's "all hail the mighty Zep", even in their grief-stricken (Plant) and drug-addled (Page) state, they still come up with sonic alchemy... Jonesy really hit it out of the park with that one.

Ditto Carouselambra... Would have loved to have experienced it live in the US '80 Tour.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably the biggest for me is "Down By The Seaside". When I first heard it, I was in middle school, and never listened past the intro. I would tell my friend, "Man, I love Led Zeppelin, but that song is terrible." 

A few years later, with matured musical taste, I gave it a full listen. 

It has now become one of my favorite Zeppelin tracks. It's completely underrated, and I think, one of Percy's finest performances, both vocally and lyrically. 

I just love everything about that song: Jonesy's keyboard work, that utterly BADASS middle section that should've lasted far longer than it did. I also think that Bonzo's snare drum was tuned better than on any other song in their career. It's dry and fat, which is how I like 'em. :P

Another song which has grown on me a little bit, but I still, unfortunately, don't like, is *gasp* "The Rover".:ph34r:

Yes, crucify me now.

• 2 months later...

How Many More Times was the last song I heard from LZI. Really, it had been months after I bought the album and listened countless times to every other song on the album, but I up to that point had not once heard the track in full. Then I was about to go to bed one night and i put the track on and I loved it right away. That was around the beginning of the year and I think its fair to say that it's now my favorite song from the album.

Archived