One of Jimmys Les pauls for Auction

NO, IT'S A REPLICA OF THE ORIGINAL

Yep

'The guitar on offer is a replica 1959 Gibson tobacco sunburst custom Les Paul that Page bought from Eagles guitarist Walsh in 1969. The Led Zeppelin guitarist apparently loved the instrument so much he commissioned three exact replicas of it. The minimum bid is $20,000.'

I always thought Walsh gave Jimmy the guitar, not sold it to him.

The exact answer is unknown, except for two individuals & I'm guessing that their memories aren't crystal about events from almost 46 years ago. I've read gave/sold and varying dollar amounts in different interviews.

Edit: Further thoughts on that article. F### them! On the first paragraph that the guitar is mentioned, it is described as a guitar owned by Walsh and Page. Then, down below, we find out that it's a replica. BAIT-AND-SWITCH!

Plus, it's not a "tobacco sunburst". At the time, it was just called a "sunburst". It's not a "custom". It's a "standard". 1959? Ehhhhh, we won't go there.

If this weren't an AP article, I'd email the author directly to update.

I must say that the ad and detail they gave is beyond confusing for any possible consumer.....

In my opinion, this guitar is simply a 1959 Gibson Les Paul (Historic Collection) made in 1999 (40th Anniversary version) in the Custom Shop that was used on the Page/Crowes tour in 1999/2000... There is a regard for many of the Tom Murphy produced 1999 Historic Collection 59's that came out of the Custom Shop and Tom Murphy is the guru of the Historic Reissue campaign and the master of aged finishes and the nitro used on these guitars.... It is a really good Custom Shop reissue of a classic guitar, but not a vintage 1959 Gibson Les Paul by any means....

This is DEFINITELY not one of the Jimmy Page #1 or #2 Relic Historics that were made by the Custom Shop in limited aged editions or the "un-aged" run.... This guitar was commissioned by Page long before those ever hit the market.... Those latter JP#1 aged models by Tom Murphy (2004) are some of the finest Custom Shop Les Pauls ever made by Gibson.... They recreate every nick, wear mark, and chip on Page's #1 and are true works of art.... Tom Murphy told me that that first run of the 30 aged Page #1 Les Paul Custom Shop guitars (One for Jimmy, 25 for the signed aged version, and the 4 leftovers) that were sent to Jimmy in England to inspect, select and sign were some of the most meticulous jobs they had ever done..... I am the proud owner of one of them....

I believe JP used this guitar onstage during the Page/Crowes tours and I don't believe that Joe Walsh has ever seen it, much less played or owned it.... That honor would belong to Mr. Page's #1 Les Paul acquired in 1969 that was sold to him by Joe Walsh....

With all that said, a starting bid of $20K for a 1999 40th Anniversary 1959 Les Paul used by Page onstage is a little on the steep side.... You could probably find another one (not played by Page) in the $5-$6K range, maybe even less.... The 1999 40th Anniversary Gibson Les Pauls are still extremely desired, (especially for their exquisite burst paint and ultra thin nitro finishes done by Murphy and team)

Hope this helps.....

I must say that the ad and detail they gave is beyond confusing for any possible consumer.....

In my opinion, this guitar is simply a 1959 Gibson Les Paul (Historic Collection) made in 1999 (40th Anniversary version) in the Custom Shop that was used on the Page/Crowes tour in 1999/2000...

Thank you for the clarification, Mark. The Goldin Auctions site does suggest it was used by him in concert with The Black Crowes. If that is the case, I am definitely much more interested in getting it than I was originally. If you'd like to high bid and send it to the archive as a gift I'd appreciate it.

Thank you for the clarification, Mark. The Goldin Auctions site does suggest it was used by him in concert with The Black Crowes. If that is the case, I am definitely much more interested in getting it than I was originally. If you'd like to high bid and send it to the archive as a gift I'd appreciate it.

Archive??? It'll never get played! Buy it, and gift it to me, and I'll send Steve some super hi-res photos for his archive... :yesnod:

As noted by Steve A. Jones...

One of the most iconic guitars in rock history is Jimmy Page's "Number One" - his 1959 Gibson tobacco sunburst custom Les Paul. Bought from legendary Eagles guitarist Joe Walsh in 1969, Page's '59 Les Paul remained his go-to axe for decades. In 1998 Page commissioned Gibson's Custom Shop in Nashville to create three exact replicas of his Number One. The three prototypes were produced under the watchful eye of Gibson's reproduction master Tom Murphy who perfectly matched the specific traits of Page's original, specifically the uniquely thin neck profile. Once completed to his satisfaction, Page took two of the guitars to England and left the remaining one (serial number 0-9056) in care of Gibson's New York City office for his use when he needed one in the States. A year later Gibson's New York rep sold this guitar to Wayne Isaak, head of music programming at VH1. When Jimmy Page returned to America in the fall of 1999 for a tour with The Black Crows, he asked Gibson for his replica '59 for publicity photos and playing on tour. Much to his dismay the rock superstar was told that the spare guitar he had held in reserve for just this occasion had been sold! Luckily Isaak lent the guitar to Page to use for a week. Page posed for photographs, magazine covers and most of all played it. On the second night of his tour at New York's Roseland Ballroom, a slightly miffed Page returned the guitar to Isaak. The guitar shows nice use and the hard case has the expected travel and storage dings and scuffs. This lot not only includes Gibson Les Paul Prototype 0-9056 and hard case, but a copy of the set list from the second night at Roseland, all area backstage pass, after show pass, 2 tickets, July 2000 Guitar World magazine with Page and this guitar, an original 8x10 of the shot used and various letters attesting to the guitar's provenance. You can't get any closer to the most famous guitar in rock history than this! Perfectly crafted by the Gibson factory, this is one of only three prototypes ever made. Letter of Authenticity from Jimmy Archey, Artist relations Executive at Gibson.

$20k is still tad on the price-y side for a guitar that Page played for a week and being a prototype, IMO.Maybe $10,000.....

As noted by Steve A. Jones...

$20k is still tad on the price-y side for a guitar that Page played for a week and being a prototype, IMO.Maybe $10,000.....

I believe the high bid will be more than $20K as the provenance is impeccable and Page-played guitars very seldom appear on the open market. There is also the possibility that Page himself will have someone bidding on his behalf.

I always thought Walsh gave Jimmy the guitar, not sold it to him.

In this month's issue of the Dutch monthly 'Gitarist' there's an interview with Page and the last topic focuses exclusively on Joe's Les Paul.

:Joe kept insisting I'd buy his Les Paul' 'Eventualy I bought it in 1969'...'I paid him a reasonable price: he didn't asked an outrageous price, but it wasn't exactly a gift either'

Fun fact, the sunburst les paul was originally only available in one colour (Heritage Cherry Sunburst). The different burst colours available over the years (Tobacco Sunburst, Honeyburst etc) where all modeled after how different Heritage cherry suburst Les Pauls had aged over the years, and how the finish faded.

In this month's issue of the Dutch monthly 'Gitarist' there's an interview with Page and the last topic focuses exclusively on Joe's Les Paul.

:Joe kept insisting I'd buy his Les Paul' 'Eventualy I bought it in 1969'...'I paid him a reasonable price: he didn't asked an outrageous price, but it wasn't exactly a gift either'

Thank you for the information, duckman.

Fun fact, the sunburst les paul was originally only available in one colour (Heritage Cherry Sunburst). The different burst colours available over the years (Tobacco Sunburst, Honeyburst etc) where all modeled after how different Heritage cherry suburst Les Pauls had aged over the years, and how the finish faded.

gib60p10.jpg

The 1960 Gibson catalog called it "cherry sunburst". The previous catalog, from 1958, still had Goldtop as the only finish option.

Archived