Empress Valley new Osaka Box Set - Soundboard fragments for 9/28

pluribus

pluribus that sounds like the same source thats available on H-Bomb's 928 bootleg. A Peach source has been confirmed, but that isnt it.

I could've sworn though that the audience noise near the taper in the clip didn't match with either of the other audience sources. It's in similar spots, but I think on the H-bomb source you can hear women talking nearby and on that Peach source you can hear a man's voice just before they start Black Dog.

It might be the incomplete source that DADGAD remastered a few years ago.

No, I just checked both the H-Bomb source and the source on the TDOLZ mix. The DADGAD source is the same as on the TDOLZ mix. Neither of those sources sound as upfront, and neither have the male voices you can hear at around 8-9 seconds in the clip I posted. It's definitely a different source.

• 1 year later...

Awesome to hear. Thanks for posting.

Maybe just me ears, but it does sound like the noise-reduction is heavy on that one. Hearing it in those cymbals and high end. Would much prefer it with the hiss that's probably supposed to be there instead. The clips from the other bootleg have a lot of that too. Parts sound like lower rate mp3.

9/28/71 Black Dog in soundboard, soundboard confirmed,even though we already knew there were plenty of extra mic's on stage both 28th and 29th... sounds great, as good or better than 9/29's soundboard, great news, a big deal! at lest to me it is. over and out

now i wonder, soundboard, or a multi mixdown made back in the day, and if the multi masters still exist. i can believe the "Jimmy thought they sounded subpar" claim but not the "Jimmy taped over them" claim. homeboy probably has no problem finding blank tape, lol

Love the vocal effects Robert used during live, especially early live, versions of Black Dog

On 7/23/2016 at 11:46 AM, Walter said:

Yeah if a '71 board recording doesn't get you excited nothing will! Well, you know what I mean. If this can survive all the years surely video feeds from the '73 and '77 shows (the ones that had projection screens) will too.

Regarding what Neal said, yes, it has been claimed somewhere that Page wiped them, but I find that hard to believe. Why would he. Maybe they sounded subpar (probably like this Black Dog sounds, excellent, but not official release worthy) but we have 9/29's board so we know at least mix downs survived. If you look at photos from the Japan '71 tour, you can see which gigs have extra microphones and which ones have the standard number. For example, two mics were used on the bass drum from How the West Was Won and Southampton '73, as seen in photos. It is possible to multitrack without extra mics but in Zeppelin's case this was the norm. Exceptions might happen later in their live career, Earl's, Kneb

I assume there is, worst case scenario there is only one tape's worth, or only one cd's worth. And wishful thinking, this recording makes me believe 9/29/71 exists in the same quality as the other '71 boards such as Orlando and Hampton, or much better. Quality of this is very similar to other '71 boards, the consistency of sound quality makes me hopeful the similarities in quality in the same year mean it wasn't luck, more has been recorded. In other words, this is what a '71 soundboard sounds like, if we are lucky enough to get to hear it. Which makes me very hopeful for whats to come!

17 minutes ago, Dirty Work said:

I assume there is, worst case scenario there is only one tape's worth, or only one cd's worth. And wishful thinking, this recording makes me believe 9/29/71 exists in the same quality as the other '71 boards such as Orlando and Hampton, or much better. Quality of this is very similar to other '71 boards, the consistency of sound quality makes me hopeful the similarities in quality in the same year mean it wasn't luck, more has been recorded. In other words, this is what a '71 soundboard sounds like, if we are lucky enough to get to hear it. Which makes me very hopeful for whats to come!

From what I have heard from the '71 soundboards, they seem to be a lot less harsh than, say, the average '73 soundboard. Would you agree?

10 hours ago, blooze said:

From what I have heard from the '71 soundboards, they seem to be a lot less harsh than, say, the average '73 soundboard. Would you agree?

They do sound warmer but also have a tendency to be a bit more on the  dull side...like a blanket being thrown over it.

Not as dull as some of the january 73 SBs , but still.

Orlando is nice and powerful, Toronto Is OK but Hampton is a piece of work for me. Even in the mono incarnations, I just can't dig in. This said, in a couple of month a 50 or 100 minutes version of the first Osaka 71 show will pop up, believe me.

I think that old Revox reel to reel deck was capturing almost everything during the US and subsequent Japan tour.

Archived