Robert Plant & the Sensational Space Shifters - 2015 gigs/tour dates

Patrycja

I understand why people say that when only looking at the set list, and if RP/SSS played the songs just like on the Zep albums or in live Zep shows, then I'd agree with questioning Robert's jukebox comment. But for anyone who hears how the songs have been reworked, this line of criticism is puzzling. I've seen separate live shows of Jonesy, Page, and Robert in various incarnations. Each has done Zep songs in his show, yet only Robert - who morphs the songs the most - is negatively scrutinized. I don't understand it. These are every bit his songs as they are JPJ's and Page's. I have a feeling that it's not just which songs and how they are shaped, but also who he plays them with that matters. This is a brotherhood of guys who seem to like being around each other, and creating music that weaves all of their styles, so this narrative of 'why won't he just reunite' or 'he shouldn't do so many Zep songs' is not only trite but misses the point of what RP/SSS are doing.

But, he knows that people come to his shows because of zep! He hasn't put out a decent album since Dreamland...people will not come to listen to his solo work...instead he gives recarnated version of the led Zeppelin jukebox....

Thats your opinion i have loved every album since dreamland. My god i am so sorry for the times i rehashed my posts about the remasters Its pretty simple don't listen if u don't like it. I have beaten a dead horse and now i know how i sounded. The positive reviews and tix sales tell me i am not alone enjoying his last 10 years.

Thats your opinion i have loved every album since dreamland. My god i am so sorry for the times i rehashed my posts about the remasters Its pretty simple don't listen if u don't like it. I have beaten a dead horse and now i know how i sounded. The positive reviews and tix sales tell me i am not alone enjoying his last 10 years.

And I don't. Just tired of his ways and the crap he spews in the press. He forgets what made him. He leads fans on and gets a kick out of it.

Jimmy please get Coverdale or Myles Kennedy and start touring...

But, he knows that people come to his shows because of zep! He hasn't put out a decent album since Dreamland...people will not come to listen to his solo work...instead he gives recarnated version of the led Zeppelin jukebox....

Hmm, doesn't sound like we'll change each other's minds, KcChief. But I want to respond in the interest of precision and clarity and courtesy. If people want to critique a show, so be it. Many do so here when comparing Zep concerts. If some fans come to his shows for Zep, then that's a tribute to the band's legacy, but they still hear different versions of most Zep songs - so not like in the jukebox, and they get exposed to morphed blues tunes and songs from lullaby... as well. That's the game - lure in with one flavour, give others to savour.

It's mystifying that you summarily dismiss Mighty ReArranger, Raising Sand, Band of Joy, and lullaby... when each album explores such divergent musical paths. Isn't it interesting to see how artists seek new ways to express themselves, weaving in what they learn musically with progressively honed skills? That output takes a lot of time and heart and guts and counts for at least as much as the output in the live shows, which from all accounts are leaving fans breathless and begging for more.

As for the opinion that people won't come to listen to his solo work - well, they've been attending for decades, Zep songs in the set list or not. I can only guess that he feels comfortable with the passage of time and with these band mates to do his own songs in a way that gives space for their musical influences, too. Seems like he got a taste of what a Zep reunion (a misnomer - no Bonzo, no reunion, a loss felt ever more poignantly on days like today) would be like after Fate of Nations and decided that he couldn't stomach it anymore so he went on a different path that lead to Dreamland and subsequent albums (by the way, when Page and Plant happened, I don't recall so many criticisms for not reforming Zep - even though the jukebox comment more aptly applied to those shows...poor Jonesy...).

If only they'd do more songs from Robert's older solo catalogue - Liar's Dance, Song to the Siren, All the King's Horses, Great Spirit, 8:05, Dark Moon, Heaven Knows, Watching You, etc., etc., better yet, new songs, but I don't have a genie lamp. I do like that it grates people that RP/SSS aren't doing things the way they want. There's a lot of different beautiful music out there.

Just like that, it's already time for BottleRock! Napa Valley Expo, Napa, California (30-5-2015). Some reviews and photos trickling in:

Robert Plant Has a 'Whole Lotta Love' for Napa, Capital Cities Covers Madonna & More Things You Missed at Day 2 of BottleRock 2015

By Katie Atkinson and Denise Warner

May 31, 2015 8:05 AM EDT

robert-plant-bottlerock-2015-billboard-6

Robert Plant of Robert Plant and his Sensational Space Shifters performs during the Bottle Rock Napa

Valley Music Festival at Napa Valley Expo on May 30, 2015 in Napa, California.

Tim Mosenfelder/Getty Images

It's been a long time since wine country rock and rolled.

Robert Plant brought old school rock to Napa Valley on Saturday (May 30) night. "It's good to be here," he told the crowd. His hour and a half of music brought just the right amount of Zeppelin nostalgia to wine country, while allowing his newer work to shine.

Here's more on Plant and other things you missed from Day 2 of BottleRock:

BottleRock 2015: Day 1 | Photos | Backstage Portraits

Robert Plant Warms Up

Dressed in a shiny silver shirt and black pants, the former Led Zeppelin frontman began his set as the temperature cooled way down in Napa Valley. "We'll be playing some new songs and some songs from yesterday," Plant promised. Plant performed many new tracks including "Turn It Up, "Rainbow," and "Little Maggie," mixing in classics like "Black Dog," and "Going to California." And although his "Black Dog" was a barely recognizable arrangement, by the time he sang "Whole Lotta Love" and ended with "Rock and Roll," the rocker reminded everyone of his legendary status.

Passion Pit or Plant?

Passion Pit's Michael Angelakos had the toughest slot on the BottleRock Day 2 bill, playing opposite the night's headliner: Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant. During one break between songs, you could even hear the guitar strains of "Dazed & Confused" waft over the crowd.

You can read about the other BottleRock 2015 show impressions here: http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/music-festivals/6583023/robert-plant-bottlerock-day-2-capital-cities

BottleRock finds its stride on second day

YOUSEF BAIG

556ab2acd23e3.image.jpg?resize=620%2C930

Robert Plant performs at the end of the second day of BottleRock at the Napa Valley Expo on Saturday.

Raphael Kluzniok/ Register

The end of the night was a divergent moment for BottleRock, though.

There was headliner Robert Plant: a living, breathing rock legend, playing nearly two hours at the main stage. Then there was Passion Pit at JaM Cellars, enticing millennials and people who don't know the lead singer of Led Zeppelin's name with its indietronica, hipster anthems.

Last but nowhere near least, there was Lettuce and its crisp blend of jam funk in the comforting confines of the Miner Family stage.

Plant's set was breathtaking at moments and left the audience either speechless or silent as they followed every word and move he made. His presence was mesmerizing when he sang with emotion, and the way he mixed his original work with Led Zeppelin's was flawless. Plant's newest staples embrace many modern elements of music, and much of the content and inspiration are derived from his travels and experiences in this chapter of his career.

More info on some of the other acts from Saturday night (30-5-2015): http://napavalleyregister.com/news/local/bottlerock-finds-its-stride-on-second-day/article_d113a1f7-1d8d-5ade-911e-7bb36471245e.html

Hello can I add my thoughts to this debate. I have come to the party so to speak rather late and even though I was too young for the lifespan of LZ I have become immersed in the music directly from buying Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar. I am knee deep in reading books on both the band and Plant and for those who do not know the more esoteric ends of UK music over the last 20 odd years members of Robert's Sensational Shape Shifters have had recognition in their own right. Liam Skin Tyson with Cast; (unrecognisable minus the Britpop look) Justin Adams (worked a lot with Jah Wobble) I also believe that there is a connection to the band Massive Attack as well.

Plant seems to have had a career renascence since Mighty Rearranger Lullaby had many of it tracks played on 6 Music (BBC's cutting edge music station as does Led Zep so it shows that the audience likes the familiar and the new. Page and Plant have both given interviews so the interest for both parties is still there.

I came here to get away from the troubles of my everyday life and sometimes it feels depressing to read the snide comments. I think Plant has the right to play LZ tracks simply if for nothing else he co wrote many of them, and from the little I know of the history of the band you get the feeling music was the one thing they always had in common.

Whatever the tricky and painful state of the relationships the remaining band members might have in regards to one another the music still stands tall. Whoever plays it.

Also I think Robert and the SSS has a new LP in the works.

I will now put on my crash helmet and hide from the oncoming brickbats.

^^^ Cheers, ksgemini, and I agree, well said, annie.

^^ Thanks for the link, Gabrielle, interesting interview. I'm always a bit jealous when people can just say what they're thinking on the spot and do it eloquently as it's not as easy for some of us at the beginning. It's easier once you warm up to people, but that takes time you don't always have. Anyway, this part resonated: "When you take a bow at the end of the night with people that you'd made music with, you've gotta be bowing for the right reason." Maybe I missed it, but I didn't hear anything about a new album, though...

Going back a bit for a review of the Salt Lake City concert at The Depot (27-5-2015):

Concert review: Plant sows seeds of content in Depot appearance

556ca7439cfaf.image.jpg?resize=620%2C414

Robert Plant headlined The Depot in Salt Lake City on Wednesday.

Photo: Sammy Jo Hester

May 28, 2015 9:01 am • Doug Fox Daily Herald

A select group of music fans made the most of a rare opportunity Wednesday night, kissing the ring of rock royalty in the intimate environs of The Depot in Salt Lake City.

Former Led Zeppelin vocalist Robert Plant, whose overall frontman cred has reached almost mythical proportions over the years spanning several successful projects, lorded over the sold-out proceedings with his latest band, The Sensational Space Shifters.

Plant's vast catalog may be made for the big stage -- indeed, The Depot date is the smallest venue on his 15-city North American tour, with the majority of shows scheduled in amphitheaters -- but he definitely dialed into the inherent intensity generated by 1,200 tightly packed, and extremely enthusiastic, patrons at the Salt Lake concert club.

"I don't know what to say," Plant told the raucous audience at one point. "This is a remarkable reception. When I was in Union Station, it was nothing like this."

Plant upheld his end of the bargain, not only making audience members sweat and groove, but also burn and sting during a 95-minute performance that touched on 17 songs, including eight retrofitted from the Zeppelin canon.

The Sensational Space Shifters, as it turns out, are well named. The six-man backing band, using an array of soundscape instruments, many of which are not normally seen in a rock concert, helped Plant deliver several high-profile songs in decidedly different ways throughout the evening. It created an intriguing dichotomy from a listener's perspective: On the one hand, you had Plant's iconic voice singing lines that have been seared into the subconscious of millions of rock fans through decades of airplay, but on the other side, the music was purposefully altered, with different pacing and instrumentation.

Several songs started out with more true-to-form renditions of Zep standards only to shift mid-stream into something markedly different. Those shifts were indeed somewhat sensational.

"Black Dog" was the perfect example of this strategy of re-envisioning a Zep classic. Originally, a back-and-forth mix of unaccompanied vocals followed by a flurry of frenetic guitar and band jam in the verses, Plant and the S.S.S. have now turned it into more of a slow-burning, dirgy version that is also highly effective. Fans remained fully invested in the updated interpretation, so much so that when Plant sang, "I don't know but I've been told" then pointedly turned it over to the crowd, a thousand voices immediately shouted back in unison, "a big-legged woman ain't got no soul!"

Plant and Co. played four songs from the band's latest CD, "lullaby ... and The Ceaseless Roar," which was released in September. "Rainbow" and "Turn It Up" were uptempo crowd pleasers, fitting in well with the better-known material.

"Going to California," the majestic Zeppelin ode to the Golden State, was an early high point -- and stayed more true to the original version than others. It spotlighted the talents of Liam "Skin" Tyson on acoustic guitar and Justin Adams on mandolin.

Other members of The Sensational Space Shifters include John Baggott (keyboards, loops, Moog bass, piano, tabal and background vocals), Juldeh Camara (kologo, ritti, Fulani and vocals), Billy Fuller (bass, omnichord) and Dave Smith (drums). Adams also plays bendirs, djembe and guitar, and Tyson also handles a lot of electric guitar work. All told, the band offers an intriguing mix of styles and instrumentation.

Plant, who still sports his trademark long, curly locks, though they're not as blond as before, was playfully talkative most of the evening, telling stories about song origins and reacting spontaneously to audience interjections.

When one woman let out an affectionate scream during one of his introductions, Plant immediately responded, "Careful, honey -- save it for later!" You just don't generally get that kind of interaction in a larger venue.

Plant's love of the early American blues -- which was a big influence on Led Zeppelin -- was also evident Wednesday as he performed several covers from that period, including an electrifying "Spoonful," "No Place to Go" and "Fixin' to Die."

The main set came to a fiery conclusion with "Whole Lotta Love," which morphed into Muddy Waters' "I'm a Hoochie Coochie Man" before returning to the heavy riff-laden song that first put Led Zeppelin on the hard rock map.

Plant and band returned for a two-song encore, which consisted of "Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down" and "Rock and Roll."

It's interesting ... one can see a multitude of great live bands and come away duly impressed. But occasionally you witness a true legend, one still with plenty of game, and recognition hits that they are simply performing on a different level than most everyone else. Plant still has the ability to hold an audience in the palm of his hand, whether it be by gesture, look or haunting vocal. Watching the Rock and Roll Hall of Famer hold court in an intimate venue like The Depot only made that realization more apparent.

For many, it's hard to fathom why Plant has repeatedly turned away from milking the Led Zeppelin cash cow and spurned what would be unbelievably lucrative reunion offers. But when you see him up close and personal in his contemporary element and witness how much joy he derives from his current project, well, it's easier to understand not only why it's been a long time since he did that stroll -- but also why he'll probably never do it again.

Retro rocker JD McPherson opened the show with an invigorating set. The Oklahoma guitarist and vocalist plays a style of music that hearkens back to the 1960s -- not in the straight rockabilly Stray Cats-style of the decade, mind you, though there are hints of that, but more the cool riff rock, can't-stop-tapping-your-foot side.

McPherson's four-piece backing band was also excellent, with special kudos to Jimmy Sutton for animatedly plucking away on the upright bass for most of the set. McPherson recently released his second album, appropriately titled "Let the Good Times Roll." If McPherson continues on the trajectory he showed Wednesday, there should indeed be plenty of good times in his future.

http://www.heraldextra.com/entertainment/music/concert-review-plant-sows-seeds-of-content-in-depot-appearance/article_df5b3983-848d-5779-9b04-9d8af8ae4ebe.html

Some teasers from the show:

5566a7afd2dd3.image.jpg?resize=620%2C930

5566a7b6af4b5.image.jpg?resize=620%2C414

5566a7b04f147.image.jpg?resize=620%2C414

"To be or not to be..." sorry...

5566a7b46b7dd.image.jpg?resize=620%2C414

5566a7b2c10b8.image.jpg?resize=620%2C414

(Photos: Sammy Jo Hester)

Here's the rest of the gallery: http://www.heraldextra.com/entertainment/music/photos-robert-plant-and-the-sensational-space-shifters-perform-at/collection_bb6dcbb4-a513-5824-a581-79cf61f8d20e.html#16

Another review of the Vegas show at The Brooklyn Bowl (28-5-2015). It'll put a smile on the "why won't he just..." crowd. You either get why he plays Zep songs with these guys or you don't, what can you say?

CONCERT REVIEW: ROBERT PLANT’S FIRST VEGAS SHOW IN A DECADE SHINES INSIDE BROOKLYN BOWL

5_28_15_robert_plant_brooklyn_bowl_kabik

Robert Plant, performing May 28 at Brooklyn Bowl.

Photo: Erik Kabik

Spencer Patterson Sun, May 31, 2015 (9:17 a.m.)

If Robert Plant is, as many believe, the man blocking a Led Zeppelin reunion, it begs a question about Thursday night’s show at Brooklyn Bowl: Why were eight of the 14 songs he performed fully or partially drawn from that band’s catalog?

Personally, I’m not bothered by the possibility Zeppelin will never play again. I grew up believing the British foursome died with John Bonham, and found it odd when the three surviving members resurrected the name for a 2007 one-off. But as I watched Plant sing “Black Dog” and “Going to California,” I couldn’t help wondering how much grander it all could have been with Jimmy Page and John Paul Jones beside him.

5_28_15_robert_plant_brooklyn_bowl_kabik

Photo: Erik Kabik

Even as it was, Plant’s first Vegas tour stop in 10 years felt electric, made so mostly by the man’s famous pipes. Fans (and nonfans) have quibbled since the ’70s about the enduring strength of his vocals, but on this night, there was no debate: The 66-year-old Plant sounded better than he did at House of Blues in 2002 or the Hilton in '05, soaring over his six-piece backing band, the Sensational Shape Shifters, without showing signs of strain.

Some new arrangements helped with that. "Black Dog" slowed down some and turned tribal, with Juldeh Camara jamming on a single-stringed African riti and Plant pointing to the crowd for help with the “ah, ah” section of the chorus; “Dazed and Confused” careened into pseudo-Celtic territory; and an encore version of “Rock and Roll” featured a droney, almost-industrial reworking. Other oldies were presented as-is, however, like a powerful “What Is and What Should Never Be” and a sublime acoustic “Going to California.”

Plant seemed a bit annoyed by the oldish audience, chiding the “average Vegas crowd” for not getting louder (the hall went particularly silent during four songs off 2014 solo record Lullaby and … the Ceaseless Roar) and imploring fans to “put your phones down and watch” (some did, others kept right on shooting photos and video). Plant also paid homage to blues greats like Howlin’ Wolf and Bukka White, and mentioned two local legends, Elvis Presley and B.B. King, the latter of whom died this month. Thursday night’s headliner is no less a luminary in my mind, and witnessing him perform in a room as intimate and crisp-sounding as Brooklyn Bowl was a treat. Good luck scoring a ticket so easily if Led Zeppelin ever gets back together.

http://lasvegasweekly.com/ae/music/2015/may/31/concert-robert-plant-vegas-brooklyn-bowl/

Some more reviews and photos from the BottleRock show in Napa, California (30-5-2015) are surfacing:

BottleRock Diary, Day 2

May 31, 2015 2:46 pmDavid Kerns

It must be my advanced age and era, but The Avett Brothers and former Led Zeppelin lead singer Robert Plant vs. Capital Cities and Passion Pit was not a close call. These artists played opposite one another Saturday night at BottleRock, the former on the Intel Main Stage, the latter on the JaM Cellars Stage. That’s one of many great things about this festival — there’s something for everyone, the baby boomers and the millenials, us fogies and the indie hipsters.

For my money, no songs personify The Avett Brothers, musically and lyrically, better than “Down With the Shine” and their epic “Head Full of Doubt, Road Full of Promise,” both performed on Saturday night. They play folk-rock with acoustic instruments and drums, they are intelligent and introspective, they have a pleasing untightness that reminds me of The Band.

Baritone Scott Avett and tenor Seth Avett sing like siblings and are both multi-instrumentalists. They are surrounded by Joe Kwon on cello (which he plays standing up and exuberantly), bassist Bob Crawford, fiddler Tania Elizabeth, Paul DeFiglia on keyboards and drummer Mike Marsh.

Their set drew from songs across their eight-album history, with some emphasis on 2012’s “I and Love and You.” From time to time, Seth picked up an electric guitar and plain old rock ‘n’ roll erupted. It is competent and suited to a partying festival audience, but not their natural musical habitat. Still, you can tell that Seth likes to shred.

I was amid a fair number of gray ponytails when Plant, who closed the evening, kicked off his set with “The Wanton Song,” a Zeppelin tune from their “Physical Graffiti” album. The collective response of the crowd can be summed up as, “Wow, he’s still got it!”

Weathered, yes, and a bit thick around the middle, Plant still has much of the onstage swagger and vocal power and style of his early days. Seven of his 14 songs were Zeppelin tunes, some refashioned like “Black Dog,” some so perfectly preserved, like “Going to California,” that it felt like time travel.

The set was filled out with Willie Dixon, Bukka White and Muddy Waters blues covers, and three cuts from his 2014 album, “lullaby and… The Ceaseless Roar.”

This performance was a two-fer. Great music well performed, and the magical presence of rock ‘n’ roll royalty, the lead singer of one of the most popular and influential bands in rock history.

http://napavalleyregister.com/news/local/bottlerock-diary-day/article_b433944c-ba98-59a1-a601-5ab0b6fa01f0.html

BottleRock Napa Valley: Photos from Saturday

Posted: May 31, 2015 5:15 PM EDT

7934487_G.jpg

7933683_G.jpg

7932745_G.jpg

7932748_G.jpg

7932749_G.jpg

7932750_G.jpg

7932751_G.jpg

7932752_G.jpg

Photos: Curtis Stankalis

NAPA, Calif. (KTVU) -- BottleRock Napa Valley swung into its second day Saturday as revelers took in sets by main stage headliner Robert Plant, neo-bluegrass band the Avett Brothers and many more.

http://wn.ktvu.com/story/29201431/bottlerock-napa-valley-photos-from-saturday

Bow to one audience, and then onwards to greet another.

A review of the Santa Barbara, California gig at the Santa Barbara Bowl (31-5-2015):

05312015_Robert_Plant_16w_t479.jpg?ad146

Robert Plant at the Santa Barbara Bowl. (May 31, 2015)

Paul Wellman/S.B. Independent

Robert Plant at the Santa Barbara Bowl

Led Zeppelin Founder Plays Old Hits, New Songs to a Pleased Crowd

Monday, June 1, 2015

by MATT KETTMANN
Led Zeppelin must have stunned the world when they hit the scene in the late 1960s, dropping heavy, guitar-driven rock into a comparably mellow music world. Founding singer Robert Plant doesn’t enjoy that element of surprise anymore, for his songs now rest atop the pantheon of rock ’n’ roll history. But the tireless, 66-year-old still manages to keep concerts of songs everyone knows quite energetic and entertaining, as seen on Sunday night at the Santa Barbara Bowl.

The evening opened with a rousing set of 1950s-style rhythm& blues rock from J.D.McPherson, whose hour-long set fired up the wandering-in crowd, especially what must be the Oklahoma rocker’s biggest fan in the second row. Though his brand of toe-tapping rock may be best suited for a greaser-friendly soda shoppe or Austin honky-tonk than a large arena, McPherson’s mastery of the stage and his talented band promises a future to be watched.

Right at 8:15 p.m., Plant emerged in a silky, mauve-colored shirt, and claimed while waving his extremely large hands that the Santa Barbara Bowl was one of his favorite venues, along with Berlin and Marrakech. He also revealed that the concert would feature tunes new and old, but in possibly unfamiliar ways — you know, he joked, like a Bob Dylan concert. As the moon rose over the sycamore and oak trees into a lightly building marine layer, Plant then rolled out the same exact playlist that he’s been using for most of the current tour.

And that was perfectly fine, as his blend of mostly Led Zep songs (“Black Dog,” “Going to California,” “The Lemon Song,” and “Whole Lotta Love,” among others) and a few of his newer solo tunes (“Rainbow,” “Spoonful,” etc.) thoroughly pleased the crowd. But they were far from exact covers of his famous hits — Plant and his high-powered Sensational Space Shifters band mixed up the tempos and soundscapes, thanks often to Juldeh Camara, who played a one-string riti, an instrument that looked like a bow and arrow from his native Gambia.

Perhaps most refreshing was Plant’s open recognition of his own elder statesman status and gentle rousing of the crowd’s age, joking that it was like the movie Cocoon. Toward the end of the very good, albeit never surprising or particularly revelatory, show, he shouted, “You old-timers can really rock!” Right back at ya, Mr. Plant.

05312015_Robert_Plant_02_t479.jpg?ad1462 05312015_Robert_Plant_06_t479.jpg?ad1462
05312015_Robert_Plant_08_t479.jpg?ad1462 05312015_Robert_Plant_12_t479.jpg?ad1462
05312015_Robert_Plant_15_t479.jpg?ad1462 05312015_Robert_Plant_20_t479.jpg?ad1462
05312015_Robert_Plant_21_t479.jpg?ad146205312015_Robert_Plant_22_t479.jpg?ad1462
05312015_Robert_Plant_24_t479.jpg?ad146205312015_Robert_Plant_25_t479.jpg?ad1462
05312015_Robert_Plant_28_t479.jpg?ad146205312015_Robert_Plant_31_t479.jpg?ad1462
05312015_Robert_Plant_32_t479.jpg?ad1462
(Photos: PAUL WELLMAN/S.B. INDEPENDENT)

Dear people of Toronto,

You have a chance to win a pair of tickets to the June 7th show!

rplant_banner_500.jpg

Winner will receive
One of two (2) pairs of tickets to ROBERT PLANT AND THE SENSATIONAL SPACE SHIFTERS with special guest PIXIES on June 7 at Molson Canadian Amphitheatre.
Approximate prize value is: $210 per pair of tickets

No purchase necessary. Open to Ontario residents, 18 and older. Contest period is 12:00 am, June 1, 2015 until 11:59pm, June 4, 2015. Odds of winning depend on total number of eligible entries received. Entrants must answer a skill testing question.
Complete contest rules available here

Click on the link to enter for your chance to win: http://m.toronto.com/contests/robertplant/

Patrycja has posted so many reviews of the current tour, there's no need for me to say much about tonight's show at the Greek Theatre. But before my memory fades, here is the setlist from tonight and some brief snippets of Robert's Plantations. Before Robert's set I met and chatted with a nice couple from Tottenham, London, so I missed most of JD McPherson's opening set.

1. Wanton Song...only Liam Tyson on guitar, no Justin Adams. Grungy version, with Liam's guitar either de-tuned or out of tune.

2. Turn It Up...now Justin joins the band.

3. Black Dog...different arrangement...needs to be retired.

4. Rainbow...nice version.

Robert pays tribute to Dennis Sheehan, who passed away last week, and dedicates the next song to him.

5. Going to California

Robert introduces Liam and Justin on guitars. "Let's go find Charley Patton."

6. Spoonful>Lemon Song/Killing Floor

Robert thanks Jack White for reintroducing him to Lemon Song.

7. Little Maggie...this was a major highlight of the show for me. Beautiful sonic textures showing a little Bristol triphop-Massive Attack influence.

Robert intros rest of band. "Let's go see what Howlin' Wolf says. You know about the Wolf?!?"

8. How Many More Years/Times>Dazed and Confused

9. WIAWSNB...soundman fucked up Justin's guitar levels...it was hard to hear him several times.

10. Fixin' to Die...Justin's level fixed for his solo in this song.

11. I Just Want To Make Love to You>Whole Lotta Love...JAZZ HANDS!!! :)

Encore:

12. Stolen Kiss...Yes! Yes! Yes! Another exquisite moment with full moon shining on Robert...I wanted more of the new songs and solo stuff and less Zeppelin and blues standards (Fixin' to Die) that's been done to death.

13. Rock and Roll

Show was over at 10:20 p.m. Some photos...

Hmmm...is it really 2015 or are we back in 1977? Those beer prices suggest it's really 2015, hehe.

post-1470-0-97118800-1433316536_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-23194600-1433316702_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-18751100-1433316769_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-24103500-1433316900_thumb.jp

post-1470-0-15787600-1433316948_thumb.jp

Patrycja has posted so many reviews of the current tour, there's no need for me to say much about tonight's show at the Greek Theatre. But before my memory fades, here is the setlist from tonight and some brief snippets of Robert's Plantations. Before Robert's set I met and chatted with a nice couple from Tottenham, London, so I missed most of JD McPherson's opening set.

1. Wanton Song...only Liam Tyson on guitar, no Justin Adams. Grungy version, with Liam's guitar either de-tuned or out of tune.

2. Turn It Up...now Justin joins the band.

3. Black Dog...different arrangement...needs to be retired.

4. Rainbow...nice version.

Robert pays tribute to Dennis Sheehan, who passed away last week, and dedicates the next song to him.

5. Going to California

Robert introduces Liam and Justin on guitars. "Let's go find Charley Patton."

6. Spoonful>Lemon Song/Killing Floor

Robert thanks Jack White for reintroducing him to Lemon Song.

7. Little Maggie...this was a major highlight of the show for me. Beautiful sonic textures showing a little Bristol triphop-Massive Attack influence.

Robert intros rest of band. "Let's go see what Howlin' Wolf says. You know about the Wolf?!?"

8. How Many More Years/Times>Dazed and Confused

9. WIAWSNB...soundman fucked up Justin's guitar levels...it was hard to hear him several times.

10. Fixin' to Die...Justin's level fixed for his solo in this song.

11. I Just Want To Make Love to You>Whole Lotta Love...JAZZ HANDS!!! :)

Encore:

12. Stolen Kiss...Yes! Yes! Yes! Another exquisite moment with full moon shining on Robert...I wanted more of the new songs and solo stuff and less Zeppelin and blues standards (Fixin' to Die) that's been done to death.

13. Rock and Roll

Show was over at 10:20 p.m. Some photos...

Hmmm...is it really 2015 or are we back in 1977? Those beer prices suggest it's really 2015, hehe.

attachicon.gif20150602_194609.jpg

attachicon.gif20150602_210231.jpg

attachicon.gif20150602_213109.jpg

attachicon.gif20150602_220156.jpg

attachicon.gif20150602_220758.jpg

But Strider, personal accounts are the best ones! There's space enough for everybody's voices and impressions to be heard :) Thanks for giving yours.

thanks again...for these...I'd love to see another show ...the setlist definitely has changed from venue to venue and BTW I wish they'd record How Many More Years. That Wolf tunes absolutely grooves live.

thanks again...for these...I'd love to see another show ...the setlist definitely has changed from venue to venue and BTW I wish they'd record How Many More Years. That Wolf tunes absolutely grooves live.

I believe that tune is actually called 'No Place to Go'. Robert introduced it by that title on Sunday night.

https://youtu.be/0pF8Og7Jsro

Archived