Robert Plant & the Sensational Space Shifters - 2015 gigs/tour dates

Patrycja

• 1 month later...

Sasquatch 2015 Review: A Perfect Balance of Style Dichotomy

Coverage of Sunday’s Sasquatch adventures with Robert Plant, St. Paul & The Broken Bones, Madeon & more
May 25th, 2015 Johnny Firecloud

Festivals are little alien planets of fashion and expression – and that ties in directly to the narcotic/pharmaceutical trends of each event, as discussed in yesterday’s Sasquatch Festivalreview. But dualities certainly exist within these little hubs of musical explosion, which was never more evident than last night as we stumbled along the rolling masses atop the hill at The Gorge: legendary classic rock superhero Robert Plant playing a haunting, sensational spin on “Going to California” to my left, as 20 year old ultrasensaton Madeon was bass-blasting legions with anthemic impact down the hill to the right. Precious genre purists be damned – this beautiful dichotomy is the face of a full musical culture. Well done, Sasquatch.

You can read the rest of the review highlights here: http://www.craveonline.ca/music/articles/859963-sasquatch-2015-review-perfect-balance-style-dichotomy

Sasquatch 2015 Recap & Photos: Robert Plant Dabbles in Zeppelin, Pays Tribute to BB King

Check out pics from a beautiful Sasquatch 2015 set by Robert Plant & The Sensational Space Shifters

May 26th, 2015 Johnny Firecloud

10-Sasquatch-Robert-Plant-by-Johnny-Fire

Robert Plant & The Sensational Space Shifters represents the latest incarnation of the former Led Zeppelin frontman’s musical vision, and it’s a slippery one.
Transitioning between genres, styles and eras at the 2015 Sasquatch Festival over Memorial Day Weekend, Plant led his band through a remarkably enrapturing set that was highlit by a stunning, haunted rendition of B.B. King’s “The Thrill is Gone,” in tribute to the recently-departed blues legend.

12-sasquatch-robert-plant-by-johnny-fire

4-sasquatch-robert-plant-by-johnny-firec

Check out the link for the rest of the photos (too bad none of the band were posted): http://www.craveonline.ca/music/articles/860031-sasquatch-2015-recap-photos-robert-plant-dabbles-zeppelin-pays-tribute-bb-king#/slide/1

Some videos from the Bend, Oregon (25-5-2015) show sure to annoy the "why won't he just..." crowd :D
Black Dog
Going to California
Rock and Roll
Set List:
  1. Black Country Woman
  2. You Shook Me / You Need Love / Whole Lotta Love
  3. Black Dog / Arbaden (Maggie's Baby)
  4. Dazed and Confused
  5. Gallows Pole (includes Spoonful)
  6. How Many More Years
  7. What Is and What Should Never Be
  8. Rainbow
  9. Boogie with Stu
  10. Fixin' to Die
  11. Going to California
  12. Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

Encore:

1. Turn It Up
  2. Rock and Roll
  3. Nobody's Fault but Mine

Some videos from the Bend, Oregon (25-5-2015) show sure to annoy the "why won't he just..." crowd :D
Black Dog
Going to California
Rock and Roll
Set List:
  1. Black Country Woman
  2. You Shook Me / You Need Love / Whole Lotta Love
  3. Black Dog / Arbaden (Maggie's Baby)
  4. Dazed and Confused
  5. Gallows Pole (includes Spoonful)
  6. How Many More Years
  7. What Is and What Should Never Be
  8. Rainbow
  9. Boogie with Stu
  10. Fixin' to Die
  11. Going to California
  12. Bron-Y-Aur Stomp

Encore:

1. Turn It Up
  2. Rock and Roll
  3. Nobody's Fault but Mine

That setlist is more or less complete Zeppelin . Makes this "ever forward not looking back"

shtick of Planty's ever more ridiculous! No Zep reformation fine, but play your solo back catalogue

not this Zep lite nonsense

I saw Robert at Sasquatch 2 days ago and holy crap it was amazing. I'm 24 years old and it kind of sucks after seeing how f*$cking amazing he was and thinking about how insanely good Zep was and knowing ill never get to witness the grandeur that was Led Zeppelin. It makes me almost want to cry

That setlist is more or less complete Zeppelin . Makes this "ever forward not looking back"

shtick of Planty's ever more ridiculous! No Zep reformation fine, but play your solo back catalogue

not this Zep lite nonsense

Well, assuming that set list is correct, half of those songs had a life of their own before Zep (though many associate them now with Zep), a little less than half are LZ songs, and three are from lullaby.... I get your point, though, and agree that it's too bad more songs from such a varied solo career haven't been included. The South American tour was peppered with a few more, but then again, it's just one set list from one show, and they're just getting started again. The shows are blazing nonetheless, still, I was hoping that after the break they'd maybe showcase a new song or two, as well. Maybe they're busy with side projects or simply resting when not touring, but I really hope that they continue making new music together, although there's an ebb and flow to all things...

I saw Robert at Sasquatch 2 days ago and holy crap it was amazing. I'm 24 years old and it kind of sucks after seeing how f*$cking amazing he was and thinking about how insanely good Zep was and knowing ill never get to witness the grandeur that was Led Zeppelin. It makes me almost want to cry

Hello, LedBenz21 :) , welcome and thanks for sharing your impressions. Many here have seen Zep live many times, but the rest of us have bootlegs and official releases to try and satisfy the longing you express. We're so lucky, though, to be able to see the remaining members still keeping that creative fire lit. Not just them, but any artists who tap into it and can make people feel like they have a bit of it inside them after a show.

Speaking of which, here are some embers captured by others at Sasquatch!

"Rainbow"

1ZsQosj.jpg

(Photo: 30ftandayear http://imgur.com/1ZsQosj)

Review: Robert Plant & The Sensational Space Shifters in Bend

Plant-c-Mike-Albright-1024x683.jpg

Robert Plant performs Monday night in Bend. Photo courtesy Mike Albright Photography / www.mikealbright.com.

For a guy who long ago achieved global domination via rock ‘n’ roll, Robert Plant’s obsession with American roots music is sort of sweetly adorable.

During his show Monday night at Les Schwab Amphitheater in Bend, Plant’s between-song banter included multiple references to his home country “over there” (i.e. England), to music that came to America on ships, to murder ballads and Mississippi Delta blues, plus Charlie Patton, Howlin’ Wolf, black culture moving north to Chicago and more. Before diving into “Little Maggie,” the first song on his 2014 album “Lullaby… and The Ceaseless Roar,” he acknowledged its deep roots in traditional Appalachian music. Introducing a bluesy song later in the show, he offered this disclaimer: “Here’s a song I have no responsibility for.” Then he played “Nobody’s Fault But Mine,” a song Led Zeppelin adapted from early 20th century bluesman Blind Willie Johnson on its 1976 album “Presence.”

But it was the songs that Plant is undeniably responsible for — songs he is intrinsically connected to, forever and beyond — that made Monday’s show special. “Lullaby” is a good record and Plant has been touring with his current band the Sensational Space Shifters for three years, but a quick scan around the Schwab showed folks were there primarily to hear Led Zeppelin songs, and Plant did not disappoint them. He sprinkled his 90ish-minute set with both folksy deep cuts (“Black Country Woman,” the banjo-powered “Going to California”) and some of his old band’s most popular, muscular songs, like “Black Dog” and “Whole Lotta Love,” whose iconic guitar riff roared to life under a gorgeous High Desert dusk sky. It was one of the highlights of the night.

Plant-c-Ed-Miles.jpg

Photo: Ed Miles

Otherwise, Plant and his band played a few songs from his post-Zep career, including the beautiful, gospel-tinged “Rainbow,” complete with a fleet of African hand drums; “Turn It Up,” which stomps along to a thunderous drumbeat; and a cover of Willie Dixon’s blues staple “Spoonful,” which Plant retrofitted with a glitchy, bloopy synthesizer part that showcased just how musically omnivorous a 66-year-old rock ‘n’ roll god can be.

Still, when you go see Robert Plant perform in 2015, you must know that you’re going to be surrounded by folks in Led Zeppelin T-shirts who are going to stand and cheer and dance at the first sign of a song embedded in the soundtrack of their lives. That was the scene Monday night in Bend, where Plant and his band gave the people a healthy dose of nostalgia, while sneaking in a bit of his current interests as well.

http://blog.bendbroadband.com/residential/2015/05/26/review-robert-plant-the-sensational-shape-shifters-in-bend/

maybe he simply does not want to play them with anyone but the past couple bands because he is closer to them at this point in his life and wants LZ's story to conclude on a big +. If it was the eighties I can maybe see at least a case for putting some form of LZ together but jimmy is 7o or 71 and Robert is 66 and it is the Twilight of their careers and they are just headed in different directions.... I'd love a new album but dont see where there has been time for him to have done one with all the touring...I agree on one thing though he should give his past solo catalog some attention in concert. there are a ton of great songs he could draw from rather than play Black Dog 1000 times more. Nonetheless SSS Best concert I ever saw in NY in the fall...Friends /bands grow apart and there's nothing wrong with that. i am just happy the 3 are around doing projects whether it is remastering or a new album.....

^ Well said.

Another Sasquatch! review, a couple of videos, and some more fantastic photos.

Inside Sasquatch! 2015: Music for the masses

Sasquatch! Music Festival 2015 held May 22-25 in The Gorge, Washington

By Hannah Button

Published: May 28, 2015, 8:00 am Updated: May 28, 2015, 5:30 pm

robert-plant-sasquatch.jpg

Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant performs on the Main Stage, May 23, 2015. (Matthew Lamb/Sasquatch)

By the end of Lana Del Rey’s set I was happier than ever, but I quickly remembered what else was in store for the night: Former Led Zeppelin frontman Robert Plant would soon take over the Main Stage, his first North American performance of the year.

“The last time I was in this part of the country the year was 1968,” Plant recalled.

He remarked that most of the night’s audience members probably weren’t alive at that time — which was clearly true. At 66-years-old, Robert Plant’s voice was as impressive as his stamina. While he took several mid-song breaks, you had to give the man some credit. He belted out Zeppelin favorites including “Black Dog” “Whole Lotta Love” and “Going to California”. For his millennial fans, it was a once in a lifetime experience.

You can read all about the complete Sasquatch! experience here: http://koin.com/2015/05/28/inside-sasquatch-music-fesitval-2015-music-for-the-masses/

"Going to California"

"The Thrill Is Gone" (a heart-stirring, haunting acoustic version. It's breathtaking).

18067974206_83e895a13d_o.jpg

18090910152_ebc054a558_k.jpg

18095286011_3a2148034c_k.jpg

Matthew Lamb took the lot. SO good! Check out the rest here: http://aestheticmagazinetoronto.com/2015/05/27/photos-sasquatch-2015-robert-plant-lana-del-rey-james-blake-st-vincent/18067974206_83e895a13d_o/ or http://aestheticmagazinetoronto.com/2015/05/27/photos-sasquatch-2015-robert-plant-lana-del-rey-james-blake-st-vincent/

Concert photos, review: Robert Plant brings a ‘Whole Lotta Love’ to Salt Lake City

By ERIC WALDEN | The Salt Lake Tribune

First Published May 27 2015 11:22PM Last Updated May 28 2015 09:56 am

Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters put on an impressive display of versatility Wednesday night at The Depot in Salt Lake City. The band alternated between electro rave-ups and hypnotic world music, and drew upon Delta blues, Appalachian bluegrass, West African tribal beats, and a few covers of some obscure British band called … ummm … Led Zeppelin, I think. (Ever heard of them?) Plant himself was chatty and charming and mesmerizing, to the point that when he forcefully implored concertgoers to "Put your phones down, use your hands. F--- your phones! Come on, let's go!" and join him in doing some spirit fingers, or jazz hands, or whatever you call it, no one considered for even a second that it might be just a tad silly.

Opening song » Anyone wondering whether any Zep would be played was appeased at the jump, as they started off with a heavied-up rendition of "The Wanton Song."

Crowd favorites » "Black Dog" and "Going to California" got some new life with alternate arrangements, with the former slowed down and the latter performed with just an acoustic guitar, a mandolin and a keyboard.

Highlight » "Turn It Up," from Plant's latest solo effort, "lullaby and … The Ceaseless Roar," was perhaps a song not many knew beforehand, but surely wanted to hear again afterward.

In the crowd » The Depot has a capacity of 1,200, and it was packed with fans adoring and effusive throughout.

Low point » None, save for the drunk woman in the balcony who interrupted a time or two late in the show to scream, "What's he saying?! Speak up!" You don't tell Robert Plant to speak up, my dear.

Best quotes » Plant was full of witty, sarcastic one-liners all night:

» Praising the crowd: "Thank you very much for coming out to see the Sensational Space Shifters. This was an excellent idea on your part."

» Summing up his solo song "Little Maggie," which features Massive Attack-style keys, a banjo, and several instruments I don't even know: "Classic rock!"

» On his influences: "We've long looked to the U.S. for music. And through thievery and skullduggery, I've managed to make a career out of it."

» He closed the night by announcing, "We've reached the point of the evening where I tell you English folk tales." He prefaced the final song of the night by recalling there was an old, traditional tune that "maidens, carrying buckets of milk, sang sweetly, beautifully, so femininely …" The band then launched into a revved-up, faithful rendition of "Rock and Roll."

Opening act » Retro rocker JD McPherson was an unknown to many in the audience when he started, but he had them captivated and intrigued by the time he and his four-piece backing band finished their 10-song set of modern takes on 1950s-style rockabilly.

Highlight » You mean besides Jimmy Sutton rocking an upright bass for most of the set? (Which was awesome, by the way.) The rollicking "Head Over Heels" had everyone bobbing along.

Crowd favorites » "Let the Good Times Roll," McPherson's first single from his new album, and an extended version of "Wolf Teeth," featuring solos from the band members to close out the set, had people talking about the new guy while waiting for Plant to hit the stage.

Next up at The Depot » Tame Impala, Friday at 8 p.m. Show is sold out.

Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters setlist

1. The Wanton Song (Led Zeppelin song)

2. Rainbow

3. Black Dog (Led Zeppelin song)

4. Turn It Up

5. Going to California (Led Zeppelin song)

6. Spoonful (Willie Dixon cover)

7. The Lemon Song (Led Zeppelin song)

8. Little Maggie

9. No Place to Go (Howlin’ Wolf cover)/Dazed and Confused (Led Zeppelin song) medley

10. What Is and What Should Never Be (Led Zeppelin song)

11. Fixin’ to Die (Bukka White cover)

12. Hoochie Koochie Man (Willie Dixon cover)/Whole Lotta Love (Led Zeppelin song) medley

Encore:

13. Satan Your Kingdom Must Come Down (traditional cover)

14. Rock and Roll (Led Zeppelin song)

http://www.sltrib.com/home/2559224-155/concert-photos-robert-plant-brings-a

Be sure to check out the link for a gallery of photos that they're not allowing to be copied elsewhere: http://www.sltrib.com/csp/mediapool/sites/sltrib/Pages/gallery.csp?cid=2559224&pid=2480556

Seeing as how that's annoying, I've attached three for a preview (Steve Griffin, The Salk Lake Tribune). There's always a way...

post-7547-0-70174700-1432877560_thumb.jp

post-7547-0-92168900-1432877577_thumb.jp

post-7547-0-94832000-1432877586_thumb.jp

^^ Thanks for the postings Patrycja. Love the articles and videos. Robert just never stops moving! Very touching "The Thrill Is Gone"...BB King tribute.

^ Zoso95 - There are a couple of videos of the Vegas show on you tube. I hope anyone who attended the events had a great time. I loved it when I saw him with the SSS.

It may not be Led Zeppelin and yes some of us here actually witnessed them back in the day, but I am just glad to see the remaining 3 when possible. Hell, I flew to NY just to see Jimmy on a stage for an interview. (On stage with a guitar in his hands would had been nice), but had a great time meeting people and seeing Jimmy:-) :peace:

^^ You're welcome, annie :)

^ Great photo, ZoSo925, thanks for sharing!

^ Cheers, Deb, I'm glad you like them :)

Before some Vegas highlights, here's another review of the show at The Depot in Salt Lake City, Utah (27-5-2015):

Review: Robert Plant at The Depot

Christie Gehrke May 28th 2015

planttamborine.jpg

(Photo: Wade Farraway)

The Golden God of rock and roll is mostly silver now, but Robert Plant still shined brightly at his sold out show at The Depot on Wednesday night. Plant, backed by his band the Sensational Space Shifters—whom he calls “Psychadellic Sesame Street”—scorched their way through a two-hour set. It didn’t take that long for the Space Shifters to win over the crowd, combining classic rock staples with African percussion and string instruments, while playing old favorites, blues staples and new material.

The show at times felt like a crash course in American music history by the world’s coolest history teacher as Plant guided the audience through the inspiration of each new Space Shifters song before they played it—or at least the tune that was the inspiration in the first place. "We've long looked to the U.S. for music,” he said. "And through thievery and skullduggery, I've managed to make a career out of it.”

Of course, the audience heard plenty of Led Zeppelin, with each of the old songs instant sing-a-longs as Plant egged them on. The crowd was treated to revamped versions of "Wonton Song," "Black Dog," "Going To California," “Dazed and Confused” and "What Is and What Should Never Be," among others. In what may have been the highlight of the night, a mash-up of Willie Dixon’s "Hoochie Koochie Man,” Bo Diddley’s “Who Do You Love” and Zeppelin’s "Whole Lotta Love."

plant2.jpg

(Photo: Wade Farraway)

Plant proved he still has all of his iconic moves, as he swung his microphone around the stage and his trademark howls seemed to be no worse for the wear 34 years after Zeppelin’s break up. The rock God fit in some one-liners in between his history lessons. He urged the audience, to put their phones down, "Use your hands. F*** your phones. Come on, let's go!" He introduced one song by claiming it was a an old standard sung by English milkmaids, but when the music started, it was the instantly recognizable Zeppelin tune "Rock and Roll" played straight. Early in the show Plant shouted, "Thank you very much for coming out to see the Sensational Space Shifters. This was an excellent idea on your part.”

By the end of the show, no one disagreed.

http://www.saltlakemagazine.com/blog/2015/05/28/review-robert-plant/

And here are some videos so far from the Brooklyn Bowl, Las Vegas show (28-5-2015):

"Black Dog"

"Rock and Roll"

"The Lemon Song" (sweet Jesus...)

Set List:

The Wanton Song - (Led Zeppelin song)

Turn It Up Black Dog (Led Zeppelin song)

Rainbow

Going to California (Led Zeppelin song)

Spoonful (Willie Dixon cover)

The Lemon Song (Led Zeppelin song)

Little Maggie

No Place to Go (Howlin’ Wolf cover)

Dazed and Confused (Led Zeppelin song)

What Is and What Should Never Be (Led Zeppelin song)

Fixin' to Die (Bukka White cover)

Hootchie Coochie Man/You Need Love/Whole Lotta Love/Who Do You Love/Whole Lotta Love

Encore:

A Stolen Kiss

Rock and Roll (Led Zeppelin song)

Also, check out the beautiful photos of the show in this gallery: http://www.erikkabik.com/album/robert-plant-and-the-sensational-space-shifters

I was shocked, and Robert actually cursed and said the F word 2x. He very rarely cursed. It sounded like they were about to do Living Loving Maid, and Robert went on about a story about some girl collecting milk and then he goes on saying - Do you believe me? Everyone said no, and he replied F-U ..haha Then he apologized, because he did not want to offend one of the members with cursing.

And here are some videos so far from the Brooklyn Bowl, Las Vegas show (28-5-2015):

"Black Dog"

http://youtu.be/eTN-UBBD3BI

"Rock and Roll"

http://youtu.be/O1sUp_r7tsg

"The Lemon Song" (sweet Jesus...)

http://youtu.be/w3oSegao8Kk

Set List:

The Wanton Song - (Led Zeppelin song)

Turn It Up Black Dog (Led Zeppelin song)

Rainbow

Going to California (Led Zeppelin song)

Spoonful (Willie Dixon cover)

The Lemon Song (Led Zeppelin song)

Little Maggie

No Place to Go (Howlin Wolf cover)

Dazed and Confused (Led Zeppelin song)

What Is and What Should Never Be (Led Zeppelin song)

Fixin' to Die (Bukka White cover)

Hootchie Coochie Man/You Need Love/Whole Lotta Love/Who Do You Love/Whole Lotta Love

Encore:

A Stolen Kiss

Rock and Roll (Led Zeppelin song)

Also, check out the beautiful photos of the show in this gallery: http://www.erikkabik.com/album/robert-plant-and-the-sensational-space-shifters

If you don't want to hear the reunion talk then stop doing that many Zeppelin songs in your set. The whole jukebox talk is making him look foolish!

Some more from the same YouTube uploader. I get Robert's frustration with people recording incessantly, and even as an audience member it's annoying to see a myriad of little bright screens, but at the same time, I'm grateful that we've got these teasers to get a taste of current shows. I think people who don't get to see the tour live may like to see them, too. For those who do get to go, it's a different concert experience now. I get the desire to capture the moment, and have, of course, taken photos and videos of a couple of songs, but also feel like my focus is split and torn between enjoying the experience and keeping a steady hand. Some people want to capture every moment and doing so takes them out of the moment of actually connecting with the music and musicians, which is odd because that's why they go to concerts in the first place.

"What Is and What Should Never Be"

"Fixin' to Die"

I was shocked, and Robert actually cursed and said the F word 2x. He very rarely cursed. It sounded like they were about to do Living Loving Maid, and Robert went on about a story about some girl collecting milk and then he goes on saying - Do you believe me? Everyone said no, and he replied F-U ..haha Then he apologized, because he did not want to offend one of the members with cursing.

Here it is :D

"Rock and Roll"

If you don't want to hear the reunion talk then stop doing that many Zeppelin songs in your set. The whole jukebox talk is making him look foolish!

I understand why people say that when only looking at the set list, and if RP/SSS played the songs just like on the Zep albums or in live Zep shows, then I'd agree with questioning Robert's jukebox comment. But for anyone who hears how the songs have been reworked, this line of criticism is puzzling. I've seen separate live shows of Jonesy, Page, and Robert in various incarnations. Each has done Zep songs in his show, yet only Robert - who morphs the songs the most - is negatively scrutinized. I don't understand it. These are every bit his songs as they are JPJ's and Page's. I have a feeling that it's not just which songs and how they are shaped, but also who he plays them with that matters. This is a brotherhood of guys who seem to like being around each other, and creating music that weaves all of their styles, so this narrative of 'why won't he just reunite' or 'he shouldn't do so many Zep songs' is not only trite but misses the point of what RP/SSS are doing.

Right on cue - a review of the Las Vegas show that addresses both the mobile fixation and Zep song transmutations.

Robert Plant captures time and space at Brooklyn Bowl

By John Katsilometes

Saturday, May 30, 2015 | 1:48 p.m.

Robert Plant squinted toward the audience Thursday night and implored, “Put the cellphones down.” Mockingly, he held an imaginary smartphone in his left palm and pretended to press the keypad.

Some fans, maybe most, did what Plant asked and lowered those little recording devices. But some did not. I wanted to comply, because this was Robert Plant.

But I continued to focus on the man, because … this was Robert Plant.

And, speaking for those who want to mark a piece of history, it is rare when you have Robert Plant in your sights. You have to share that moment, as he is a bona fide rock legend, singing just a few meters away. If I’d been in the crowd at the 1973 Madison Square Garden shows filmed for the concert movie “The Song Remains the Same,” I would have focused on Plant then, too.

His show at Brooklyn Bowl was a feast for fans of Led Zeppelin, and also those who have followed his recent solo career. We were treated to a lot of old Zep songs, reinterpreted through tempo adjustments and new instrumentation from Plant’s backing band, the aptly dubbed Sensational Space Shifters.

“Whole Lotta Love” was a chief example of Plant’s ongoing experimentation with classic Zeppelin songs, as the song served as its own medley, blending Celtic effects, blues and African rhythms. Similarly, such singalongs as “Black Dog,” “What Is And What Should Never Be” and “The Lemon Song” were stretched but not entirely fractured with Plant’s new twists. Plant played an African drum and tambourine, and an African fiddle joined straightforward rock and some bluesy melodies throughout the evening.

Vocally, Plant ascends higher than most rock singers, still. He’s not as high as he once was (vocally, we verify), but he still delivers the songs with power and passion. At 66, Plant’s physical form is that of the lion in the winter, his long, curly hair a mix of blond and gray and creases marking his ever-recognizable face. He is a little thicker but still a nimble front man, knowing his audience — and Brooklyn Bowl was packed for this show — was there for a large measure of nostalgia.

He joked frequently about Las Vegas, saying, “It’s great to be back in Vegas. I feel like Vic Damone,” a cagey reference as most rock vocalists would opt for the more obvious Vegas connection, such as Frank Sinatra or Dean Martin. Later, he did nod to one of the city’s greatest icons, Elvis Presley, and also one of the most inspiring bluesmen ever to pick up a guitar.

“In 1971 or 1972, I saw the King. I’m giving this one to the King, and to B.B. King, too,” he said, then sang a gripping original, “A Stolen Kiss,” calling across the generations, “How long has it been this way? On and on as the days slip away, lost in language, lost in song.”

This was the way Robert Plant recalls seeing one of his heroes, and the recording of that moment was an actual recording. Maybe that’s the most appropriate way to remember a legend, and Robert Plant performed it as only a legend can.

5_28_15_robert_plant_brooklyn_bowl_kabik

(Photos: Erik Kabik ErikKabik.com)

http://lasvegassun.com/news/2015/may/30/robert-plant-captures-time-and-space-packed-show-b/

Archived