Jimmy Page Vs Robbie Williams

apantherfrommd

If this has already been posted, I apologize to the forum. I was reading this halfway through and I got a phone call with some "sad/bad news", so I gotta run for now. So I can't finish reading the article. Anyway, I figured I'd post this.

War Of Words Erupts Between Led Zeppelin Legend And His Boy Band Neighbour

http://www.inquisitr.com/1754533/war-of-words-erupts-between-led-zeppelin-legend-and-his-boy-band-neighbour/

Led Zeppelin legend Jimmy Page has become embroiled in a bitter planning dispute with his neighbor and former Take That member Robbie Williams.

The rock god and the pop prince are neighbors in the Holland Park area of west London, and Robbie’s plans to do up his £17 million mansion have not gone down at all well with Page who has attacked the former Take That singer’s proposals in a strongly-worded letter to Kensington and Chelsea council stating, “the exterior should be considered sacrosanct.”

As celebrity feuds go, it’s certainly one symbolic of the uneasy relationship between rock stars and pop tarts. In the blue corner you have a lean, mean world-beating rock colossus, a heavy metal riff machine responsible for some of the finest guitar plying in the history of the genre. In the red corner you have a former boy band member who has in the past struggled with caffeine addiction and weight issues.

image: http://cdn.inquisitr.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/robbie-williams-342x300.jpg
robbie-williams
The Daily Mail reports that Williams plans to significantly revamp the 46-room mansion he bought in 2013 from the late film director Michael Winner. The former boy-band pin-up proposes to install a lift and a recording studio.

However, Page has a number of concerns regarding the development, and surprisingly it’s not because having a new recording studio would enable Williams to make another record. No! Page who has lived in the nearby Grade I listed Tower House for 40 years believes Robbie’s plans would be hugely detrimental to the surrounding area. and that because Williams’s property is Grade II listed, the exterior should be considered ‘sacrosanct’.

“I have been responsible for the protection of the Tower House for over 40 years and I am always concerned when proposals are made for nearby properties which may be detrimental to the well-being of this important heritage asset.

“A new window planned by Williams will overlook the side of my house and back garden, which will have a significant impact on the amenity of my property. I am also concerned that work on the underground swimming pool could cause vibrations and possible structural damage to Tower House.”

Page, aged 71, also objects to Williams knocking down part of his home’s boundary wall to allow access to a planned garden car park.

“This will be detrimental to the general amenity of the conservation area as well as destroying part of the attractive boundary wall.”

A decision on the plans is expected by the end of January. Seconds out, round two.

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/1754533/war-of-words-erupts-between-led-zeppelin-legend-and-his-boy-band-neighbour/#RblPI9VKrjPdvlr9.99

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2909687/Robbie-Williams-angers-neighbour-Jimmy-Page-mansion-plans.html

Here is the Mail Online's version complete with architect's drawings !

I predict a lot of coverage in UK print newspapers tomorrow : most of them love a planning row between neighbours and the fact that these two protagonists are so well known will only add fuel to the argument.

It's a pretty interesting story in terms of London's architectural heritage: in the east, the City of London and much of the Thames has seen major and controversial development, there's an ongoing row about how development is destroying Soho's character with the closure of old bars, music venues and a threat also to the musician's haven of Denmark Street ... and in Kensington, not far from Jimmy's Tower House, the unique Commonwealth building has been knocked down in favour of a huge tower block which is pretty inconsistent with the area.

I'm no expert in planning laws but in spite of the fate of the Commonwealth building, I'd have thought that Kensington and Chelsea council is more conservative and more sympathetic to issues of heritage than some other areas. Plus the immediate area of the Tower House is valued for its Arts and Crafts connections, and includes other architectural gems. The heritage status of those roads is an issue which may well have crossed their path before now.. Obviously no one is threatening to demolish the Tower House, far from it, but they may be inclined to sympathise with Mr Page's complaint ...

I wonder how many buildings were damaged structually by those loud Led Zeppelin boys in their heyday.Deep Purple did it to a stadium in New Zealand in the 70s for being a bit loud.Seriously ,heavy earth moving equipment and demolition work does damage buildings as my parents found out.

Problem with these seriously rich (and bored) wankers is that they dig down not up. Underground pools, gyms and studios are the norm for these mansions in London. I am sure Williams won't give a flying fuck what his neighbours think, and if anyone thinks he has the accumen to understand history, then you only need to listen to his back catalogue to know he has little or no taste.

1st world problems...I live in on a small acreage outside of the city so I don't have to deal with annoying neighbors not happy with me paving my driveway or whatever the issue of the day is

Lucky you Charles, lucky you.

It's not just Jimmy Page who is suffering the endless concreting over history. In our small village, in the Peak District National Park, the planners are doing everything they can to concrete over our countryside. Every week there are protests from locals to stop the building of houses. There is no room in Schools. Doctors, Dentists to take an influx of say 200 more people.

Anyway the next village from us saw a development of 75 houses that was for "local people" only to see all the houses bought buy a large conglomerate to rent out and make more money. It really makes my blood boil.

You are correct about the digging down chillumpuffer, someone calculated there are between 400 and 1000

abandoned mini JCB excavators left under houses in the more expensive environs of inner London.

Once the gyms and swimming pools are constructed they are simply abandoned! First world problems indeed.

Hope JP succeeds the barbarians are not only at the gate,they have the keys!

Tower House is beautiful inside and out. And Williams place if I remember rightly was built by Michael Winners father and is also very magnificent and already has and indoor pool that Williams wants to increase. To my knowledge Williams has not slept there a single night since he bought it and why he wants a recording studio when he sings like someone whose tone deaf god knows. That area is very strict with the planning, you even have to have planning permission to crop the trees. So hopefully the permission will be thrown in his face and he'll be told where to go...Back to LA.

Tower House is beautiful inside and out. And Williams place if I remember rightly was built by Michael Winners father and is also very magnificent and already has and indoor pool that Williams wants to increase. To my knowledge Williams has not slept there a single night since he bought it and why he wants a recording studio when he sings like someone whose tone deaf god knows. That area is very strict with the planning, you even have to have planning permission to crop the trees. So hopefully the permission will be thrown in his face and he'll be told where to go...Back to LA.

It might have been bought by Winner's father, but it was originally commissioned by artist Luke Fildes in the 1870s. It's not as significant as the Tower House (which has one of the most important interiors in London), but it's a historic building which shouldn't be mucked about with any more than it already has been.

Edited by scylla

With Jimmy's money, I'm quietly surprised that when the adjacent property came up for sale he did not buy it. The selling price of £14 million to £17 million would have been well within his reach, leaving him with tens of millions of his fortune intact. I swung past both properties earlier in the week and agree it is critical the character of both need to be preserved.

Cheers,

Indi

With Jimmy's money, I'm quietly surprised that when the adjacent property came up for sale he did not buy it. The selling price of £14 million to £17 million would have been well within his reach, leaving him with tens of millions of his fortune intact. I swung past both properties earlier in the week and agree it is critical the character of both need to be preserved.

Cheers,

Indi

Even the wealthy Michael Winner found it's upkeep to be very expensive and time consuming.

Winner once told a reporter: “There are more than 3,400 electric bulbs in this house. Someone’s constantly changing them. I got a bill the other day: £1,000. For changing bulbs. It is just getting too much, like running a museum or a stately home.”

Winner's asking price was £60 million, not the £17.5 it eventually sold for.

Grade 1 and II listed properties are high maintenance and expensive to maintain. I don't know if I'd be willing to take on a pair. Will there be friendly chats over the garden fence? Not that I can add anything to this particular Jimmy story, but I recently learned that I had a relative who lived at Tower House in the 1940's. I have since wondered if Jimmy would let me in and have a look around.

With Page's money I don't get why the hell he lives in England. Crowded as hell and insane taxes. He should have asked "The Edge" during the making of "It Might get Loud" for advice. Edge is smart and bought some beautiful properties in Malibu California.

I do get the history of the house and the William Burges connection; it's a beautiful place. But when clowns like Robbie Williams can have the means to buy in your area? Time to ramble on. Lol.

Edited by Silverseas

Pardon my ignorance or don't.

I've never heard of Robbie Williams.. he might as well be John Q Public as far as I'm concerned, but a John Q with deep pockets.

Jimmy Page. I've heard of him. Actuallly seen him perform live a couple times. Throw that out the back door.

If I'm understanding this situation correctly, the solution is simple, pure common sense.

A no brainer. Game, set, match, Jimmy Page... guitar.

You are correct about the digging down chillumpuffer, someone calculated there are between 400 and 1000

abandoned mini JCB excavators left under houses in the more expensive environs of inner London.

Once the gyms and swimming pools are constructed they are simply abandoned! First world problems indeed.

Hope JP succeeds the barbarians are not only at the gate,they have the keys!

Thats interesting about the excavators, i guess they dig the full footprint of the building out, to the point where they cannot remove the machine and hand dig the rest. I guess they are allowed to do this environmentally, if they remove the oil, battery and whatever else. Hopefully they take the back hoe and tires off, to be used on other machines.

I too do not know who robbie williams is, as most artists on any of the music awards shows.

With Page's money I don't get why the hell he lives in England. Crowded as hell and insane taxes. He should have asked "The Edge" during the making of "It Might get Loud" for advice. Edge is smart and bought some beautiful properties in Malibu California.

England is where most of his friends and family reside. By the way, Malibu is overcrowded and expensive too.

Even the wealthy Michael Winner found it's upkeep to be very expensive and time consuming.

Winner once told a reporter: “There are more than 3,400 electric bulbs in this house. Someone’s constantly changing them. I got a bill the other day: £1,000. For changing bulbs. It is just getting too much, like running a museum or a stately home.”

Winner's asking price was £60 million, not the £17.5 it eventually sold for.

Now THAT'S a bargain! ;):D

It was, and he got a good deal on it because it had become bomb-damaged during WWII.

http://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/mansion-attacks-how-do-the-superhomes-of-robbie-williams-and-jimmy-page-measure-up-9982472.html

So I see - £2000, unbelievable.

What seems even more unbelievable is that the Tower House sold for £75,000 in 1970 and then for £350,000 just two years later - is that possible?