Eagles

The Pagemeister

The Eagles have been fantastic in accordance to their live material. No studio manipulation there. It's all real when live, and outstanding.

I was given a chance by them chance to film them in Atlanta in '04 and I was more than glad to stand in for free.

I did the most respectable job I could for them, as a stand-in.

Edited by apantherfrommd

I saw The Eagles once, in 94' for the Hell Freezes Over Tour where they charged $75 a ticket at a time every other big name was charging $25. IMO they ruined the live show industry by pulling this shit. They are however a great studio band, live they are boring as all hell, they really are the anti-Zeppelin live. Where Zeppelin expanded and changed their songs live, the Eagles played every song EXACTLY like the album (except for Hotel California post-94 acoustic), and except for Joe Walsh everyone else seemed made out of cardboard.

They are excellent and very talented musicians without doubt, unfortunately they (Glenn Fry & Don Henley) even exceed Gene Simmons in regards to greed and egomania. And lets face it, the Eagles were, and always have been exclusively Glenn Fry & Don Henley as they have both admitted to in interview after interview, the rest of the band are just easily replaceable hired hands lucky to be making scale and licking Glenn's hairy ass.

Before Strider posts the "I hate the Eagles" clip from The Big Lebowski, lemme just say: mucho respect to this band. Love the hair-raising harmonies, love the brilliant songwriting.

I finally saw the History of the Eagles documentary about 2 months ago, and it changed me from a "hey, great band" person to a collect-every-bootleg, buy-every-book obsessive Eagles geek. Thank you to Pagemeister for posting the 60 Minutes interview. I'd heard of it but hadn't seen it. Gracias.

P.S. That must be an Australian version of "60 Minutes" - U.S. network tv doesn't show nekkid people.

Edited by FireOpal

They are a good band, we can't blame the band for FM radio playing Hotel California over and over and over again. They have some good album cuts which seldom make the radio. And looking back on it, when they introduced the high ticket prices back in 1992 or whatever year it was, it might have been a good move because album sales and the record industry took a big hit, and ticket sales at concerts is one of they key ways bands make money in 2015.

Henley and Frey have denied that they were the ones who started the $100+ ticket price thang.

Speaking of exorbitant ticket prices, here's an ad for the show Mr. Lucky Plantpothead saw:

Bingley_zps87bb7952.png

Yes I was lucky, but I do have a story to tell. When my mate had parked the car we went to the pub for a pint and something to eat. When we were heading towards the "cow shed" we were grabbed from either side by the drug squad, probably because our hair was down to our arse. They seached my friends tobacco tin, and were disappointed not to find anything, then they frisked me , again nothing. Then I did a stupid thing, bearing in mind that it was pouring with rain I said "it's in my sock" The man said OK smart arse get your shoes and socks off.You had to be there , my mate was in fits, I was soaked.

I saw The Eagles once, in 94' for the Hell Freezes Over Tour where they charged $75 a ticket at a time every other big name was charging $25. IMO they ruined the live show industry by pulling this shit.

I also saw that tour and remember they were the first to price tickets way above the rest of the bands that were touring back then. I also remember a justification in the lines of you are seeing 3 headline solo acts on the stage at the same time. I had seen Henley solo a couple of times prior, Frey a few times solo, and also a tour where Frey and Walsh co-headlined a tour. The '94 show was pretty good, with the exception of all of the solo songs they played. I paid to see the Eagles perform Eagles songs. I saw them once more, after their most recent release. There were so many musicians on the stage and in the shadows, and the show was incredibly boring. Never again. I do still listen to them in pool during the summer months. Their music seems to fit best in that type of setting.

• 2 months later...

I want to marry this woman. Hahaha.

First time I saw the Eagles, they were opening for Yes of all people at the Long Beach Arena in 1972. Tickets were far far less than they charge now, I assure you. Around $5-$6.

To be fair, I think Pink Floyd should share the blame with the Eagles for the exorbitant ticket prices. Pink Floyd also toured in 1994 and they also were charging around $75 for tickets to the Rose Bowl show.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't care what the Big Liebowski said; The Eagles are a good band. I didn't attend one of their concerts until the Hell Freezes Over tour. I paid $90 for my ticket but, it was worth it. They put on a damn good show that night. One of the things that impressed me were their tight vocal harmonies. I loved the call and response thing they did towards the end of New Kid in Town.

I saw The Eagles once, in 94' for the Hell Freezes Over Tour where they charged $75 a ticket at a time every other big name was charging $25. IMO they ruined the live show industry by pulling this shit. They are however a great studio band, live they are boring as all hell, they really are the anti-Zeppelin live. Where Zeppelin expanded and changed their songs live, the Eagles played every song EXACTLY like the album (except for Hotel California post-94 acoustic), and except for Joe Walsh everyone else seemed made out of cardboard.

They are excellent and very talented musicians without doubt, unfortunately they (Glenn Fry & Don Henley) even exceed Gene Simmons in regards to greed and egomania. And lets face it, the Eagles were, and always have been exclusively Glenn Fry & Don Henley as they have both admitted to in interview after interview, the rest of the band are just easily replaceable hired hands lucky to be making scale and licking Glenn's hairy ass.

I saw that same tour here in Chicagoland, but I believe the tickets were $125 at the time. I never saw them, so I went for it. They were solid, but Joe Walsh clearly stole the show, taking his turn doing his solo material. The surprise at the time was Melissa Etheridge, she was the opening act, it was a great double bill.

But as time has gone by the dbaggery by Frey & Henley have put them in the Simmons category for me as well.

I am pretty sure there was another Eagles thread here going back a few years? I am a huge Eagles fan. They are in my top 5 after Led Zeppelin I would rank The Who, Pink Floyd, Eagles, Stones, Beatles as those I love after Zeppelin. I saw them most recently in Buffalo in 2003. Love the DVD Hell Freezes Over. I do not think I would pay to see them again. I would rather listen to them on CD and remember them in their prime. They do not want to do what the Stones have done. Even though i will admit the Stones have been very effective at times even though they have really pushed it as far as their age is concerned. I know Henley and Frey and Walsh are still great and always will be as long ass they can pick up a guitar. Many classics the Eagles have given us.

Sorry for being an old b*stard, I was just lucky enough to be in the right places at the right times. Having said that, I have never ever met any of the bands that I have seen live.Whereas many of you on this site have spoken to the people you follow. I never had the opportunity unfortunately.......Let's face it I'll never see Jimmy Page or Robert Plant or Roger Waters or John Lees or Dave Gilmour walking through the streets of Liverpool, will I?

Sorry for being an old b*stard, I was just lucky enough to be in the right places at the right times. Having said that, I have never ever met any of the bands that I have seen live.Whereas many of you on this site have spoken to the people you follow. I never had the opportunity unfortunately.......Let's face it I'll never see Jimmy Page or Robert Plant or Roger Waters or John Lees or Dave Gilmour walking through the streets of Liverpool, will I?

Hey Joe, Love the way you throw the relatively unknown John Lees name in amongst the names of all those rock gods. Only a BJH fan would do that. lol.

• 5 months later...

The news of Glen Frey's passing is terrible for me.  I have always been a huge fan.  They are on my all time top 5 with LZ, Stones, Who, Pink Floyd for sure.  Take it Easy was the first song I ever learned on the guitar.  I saw Frey appear on a Sports talk show last April.  I think he  had to have had problems for some time.  I am guessing the pneumonia is what finally did him in?  It truly sucks.  It is officially the end of the Eagles all be it Don Henley is a monster by himself.  Glen Frey left his mark on music forever.  His songs are classic and will live forever.

On 4/22/2015 at 1:13 PM, Strider said:

I want to marry this woman. Hahaha.

First time I saw the Eagles, they were opening for Yes of all people at the Long Beach Arena in 1972. Tickets were far far less than they charge now, I assure you. Around $5-$6.

To be fair, I think Pink Floyd should share the blame with the Eagles for the exorbitant ticket prices. Pink Floyd also toured in 1994 and they also were charging around $75 for tickets to the Rose Bowl show.

"Turn up The Eagles, the neighbours are listening!" - Steely Dan :lol:

Seriously though, I think '94 in general was the year concert tickets started getting out of hand. I'm not sure what the US/CAD conversion was in 1994 but when we saw Pink Floyd in Edmonton (where I proposed to my wife) tickets were $48. Shitty concert too, as it turned out- best thing about the night was my wife saying yes...

14 hours ago, LedZeppfan77 said:

The news of Glen Frey's passing is terrible for me.  I have always been a huge fan.  They are on my all time top 5 with LZ, Stones, Who, Pink Floyd for sure.  Take it Easy was the first song I ever learned on the guitar.  I saw Frey appear on a Sports talk show last April.  I think he  had to have had problems for some time.  I am guessing the pneumonia is what finally did him in?  It truly sucks.  It is officially the end of the Eagles all be it Don Henley is a monster by himself.  Glen Frey left his mark on music forever.  His songs are classic and will live forever.

Frey was a decent musician and a great songwriter, not necessarily a great person, but then you could say that about a LOT of artists.

8 hours ago, Nutrocker said:

"Turn up The Eagles, the neighbours are listening!" - Steely Dan :lol:

Seriously though, I think '94 in general was the year concert tickets started getting out of hand. I'm not sure what the US/CAD conversion was in 1994 but when we saw Pink Floyd in Edmonton (where I proposed to my wife) tickets were $48. Shitty concert too, as it turned out- best thing about the night was my wife saying yes...

Frey was a decent musician and a great songwriter, not necessarily a great person, but then you could say that about a LOT of artists.

The prices in 93 to see them were high but worth every penny when compared to so many shit bands that are charging huge prices.  Some I would not walk across the street if you paid me to see them.  The Eagles were a super group.  I remember when I first bought Hotel California when it was released on vinyl.  I loved their greatest hits album, a fabulous collection.  Songs like Take It Easy, Desperado, Take it to the Limit, Lyin Eyes, Tequila Sunrise etc were all big even before "Hotel" came out.  Joe Walsh made a tremendous impact and the second phase of the Eagles flight was born.  Like Pink Floyd they had their in house problems that were very big.  Timothy B Schmidt was tremendous on Hell Freezes Over, a great album/video that is a must hear/see.  A different version of Hotel California with the acoustic opening.  "The Girl from Yesterday" was one of Frey's vocal's on the album and it was very good and he labeled it a country song before performing it.  I never liked straight up country but any song done by the Eagles would be an exception. I also loved many songs by America who were a very good band and the 2nd band I ever saw live after seeing Jeff Beck just before.  They were not in the same league as the Eagles though.  The Eagles to me are the best american band ever.  And sorry, that includes Lynrd Skynrd who I also loved.  I am quite shocked that Glen passed.  Its a real loss for music.