Eagles

The Pagemeister

The History if the Eagles has been on often this past week.  Its a must see in my opinion.  Joe Walsh says he never could have written the quality songs that Frey and Henley wrote.  There is the full disclosure of the fighting between Frey and Felder, and Frey and Henley and Walsh all have their turn at narrating the stories.   Lots of old shot from the 70s as well as shots of their reunion days of post 1993. 

Did anyone see Henley say he could not hit the drums as hard as Bonham?  Or hear Frey say "I can't believe I am going to get to play where Led Zeppelin recorded Rock n Roll".?  They had tremendous respect for Led Zeppelin.  The Eagles were one of the best American bands of all time and IMO the best.  I always loved groups like the Beach Boys and America too.  To me the Eagles were top notch.  The guitar solo in "Hotel California" is to me the second best of all time next to Stairway.

Ah, the Eagles. Phenomenal supergroup with a troubled legal history that long since blew Pink Floyd's into the court room weeds. Frankly the often petty nature of their spats amuse me (as did Floyd's) but their studio output in the mid '70s was as terrific as the sales figures suggest. I was sorry to hear about Glenn Frey, another dark notch on quite possibly rock's saddest ever month.

On February 1, 2016 at 1:48 PM, Azapro911 said:

Ah, the Eagles. Phenomenal supergroup with a troubled legal history that long since blew Pink Floyd's into the court room weeds. Frankly the often petty nature of their spats amuse me (as did Floyd's) but their studio output in the mid '70s was as terrific as the sales figures suggest. I was sorry to hear about Glenn Frey, another dark notch on quite possibly rock's saddest ever month.

I am having a hard time dealing with Frey's sudden death and I had no idea he was sick.  I love the Eagles.  Love them.  Greatest American band ever.  Period.  Glenn will be missed by many and me included.  I was lucky enough to see them twice live.  Fabulous.  Songs like Hotel California and Peaceful Easy Feeling an Take it Easy will live forever.

I saw the Eagles on their first 'Reunion" tour in 94, & they were quite good. Pretty much have lost interest in them over the years. I did see the History of the Eagles doc awhile back, & it really made me dislike them. Henley & Frey's comments about the other band members (the ones they didn't get along with), were really sophomoric. I get that they wrote the songs not disputing that, but you still need a band, just left me with a sour taste.

Glenn was a great songwriter, decent musician, & it is sad to see him go.

7 hours ago, LedZeppfan77 said:

I am having a hard time dealing with Frey's sudden death and I had no idea he was sick.  I love the Eagles.  Love them.  Greatest American band ever.  Period.  Glenn will be missed by many and me included.  I was lucky enough to see them twice live.  Fabulous.  Songs like Hotel California and Peaceful Easy Feeling an Take it Easy will live forever.

With regards to them being America's greatest band, you may have a very good point. I was going to throw Creedence Clearwater Revival into that discussion, but then I remembered that they were in essence a solo act. ;)

On ‎2‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 6:57 AM, LedZeppfan77 said:

It was a bad shock. I knew he was scheduled to/possibly already had surgery for intestinal problems, but he'd had that at least twice before and recovered. He was in the hospital since October, often in a medically-induced coma, and yet no one outside of his inner circle knew. Hard to believe he's gone; Glenn was such a vital character.

On February 4, 2016 at 4:57 PM, FireOpal said:

It was a bad shock. I knew he was scheduled to/possibly already had surgery for intestinal problems, but he'd had that at least twice before and recovered. He was in the hospital since October, often in a medically-induced coma, and yet no one outside of his inner circle knew. Hard to believe he's gone; Glenn was such a vital character.

Well said.  The above poster says the History doc turned him off and I get it.  But it was more between Frey and Felder.  Henley made a great point on Felder trying to sing more.  He said, "its like me trying to play lead guitar in Hotel California".  Well put!  I am still pretty shocked that Glen has left us.  

On 1/19/2016 at 10:54 AM, LedZeppfan77 said:

The news of Glen Frey's passing is terrible for me.  I have always been a huge fan.  They are on my all time top 5 with LZ, Stones, Who, Pink Floyd for sure.  Take it Easy was the first song I ever learned on the guitar.  I saw Frey appear on a Sports talk show last April.  I think he  had to have had problems for some time.  I am guessing the pneumonia is what finally did him in?  It truly sucks.  It is officially the end of the Eagles all be it Don Henley is a monster by himself.  Glen Frey left his mark on music forever.  His songs are classic and will live forever.

Well said. A great loss for sure. 

I'm trying to see my favorites every chance I get. It's honestly the best way to show our appreciation for them while they are here. I'm so glad to have seen him with the Eagles even though it was expensive.

Finally going to see Peter Gabriel this summer.

3 hours ago, StringBender said:

Just read they will do a tribute at the Grammys. Henley, Walsh, Schmit, Leadon and Jackson Browne. Take It Easy. 

Glad to see that.  I think Glenn kinda got lost in the shiffle of everything.  I saw him a number of times with and without the Eagles.  He was very good every time.  I liked his solo catalog and he could hold a stage on his own.  

3 hours ago, Moddey Dhoo said:

I'm trying to see my favorites every chance I get. It's honestly the best way to show our appreciation for them while they are here. I'm so glad to have seen him with the Eagles even though it was expensive.

Hope you enjoy Peter. We saw him in 90 and it was truly amazing.  I went in as a guy taking his girlfriend to a concert she wanted to see, and left a lifetime fan.  Have fun!

On February 10, 2016 at 5:18 PM, Moddey Dhoo said:

Henley and some others will be at the Grammy's coming up and I am taping it.  There will be a tribute to Glen Frey and David Bowie also

IMO, the rock critics who knocked The Eagles for being derivative missed the more important point: they were very good at what they did do.  They were very skilled musicians who wrote catchy songs and performed them really well.  That counts for a lot in my book.  I attend concerts to be entertained and The Eagles delivered.   I always loved the way they employed vocal harmony in most of their songs.  Remember the final section of New Kid in Town?  The way the various band members wove in and out around Glenn Frey's lead vocals?  It always sounded like a mini fugue to my ears.  

On February 3, 2016 at 2:34 PM, Azapro911 said:

With regards to them being America's greatest band, you may have a very good point. I was going to throw Creedence Clearwater Revival into that discussion, but then I remembered that they were in essence a solo act. ;)

Sure Creedence deserves a ton of respect, I imagine you are referring to Fogarty?  Lambda Leap is on the same page as me.  They were the greatest American band ever and I do not think its even close.  I will put Allman Bros and Skynyrd on my top 5 and maybe throw in Aerosmith and the Beach Boys for sure.  But the Eagles to me are the best American band ever.  The first greatest hits album is simply fabulous and then along comes Hotel California.   To me that guitar solo with Walsh and Felder was magical.  Henley is one of the best vocalists of all time.  Jackson Browne did a great job doing Take it Easy in Glen's memory.  I think Don Henley was thinking, what am I doing here with all this rap shit being played around me?

1 hour ago, LedZeppfan77 said:

Sure Creedence deserves a ton of respect, I imagine you are referring to Fogarty?  Lambda Leap is on the same page as me.  They were the greatest American band ever and I do not think its even close.  I will put Allman Bros and Skynyrd on my top 5 and maybe throw in Aerosmith and the Beach Boys for sure.  But the Eagles to me are the best American band ever.  The first greatest hits album is simply fabulous and then along comes Hotel California.   To me that guitar solo with Walsh and Felder was magical.  Henley is one of the best vocalists of all time.  Jackson Browne did a great job doing Take it Easy in Glen's memory.  I think Don Henley was thinking, what am I doing here with all this rap shit being played around me?

Sorry Rick but I think you'll find that Jackson Browne wrote "Take it Easy".

On February 18, 2016 at 4:05 PM, JTM said:

Sorry Rick but I think you'll find that Jackson Browne wrote "Take it Easy".

Oh I realize that.  I m only saying it was the right things to do and I am happy he has no ill feelings.  Or at least is not showing them like Felder who I can understand.  

39 minutes ago, LedZeppfan77 said:

Oh I realize that.  I m only saying it was the right things to do and I am happy he has no ill feelings.  Or at least is not showing them like Felder who I can understand.  

Don Felder himself sent condolences and wanted to be part of the tribute to Frey, it was Henley who never replied to Felder's offer. That's Don for ya, ever the class act.

1 minute ago, IpMan said:

Don Felder himself sent condolences and wanted to be part of the tribute to Frey, it was Henley who never replied to Felder's offer. That's Don for ya, ever the class act.

He likely did it thinking that it would have been Glen's wish?  But I am not sure.  I still love Don Henley, and Felder too.  I also love Timothy B Schmidt who is fabulous.  Its very sad news to know Glen is now gone.  I never saw Glen leaving us this early

On 2/20/2016 at 5:58 PM, LedZeppfan77 said:

I didn't realize Jackson Brown and Glenn Frey fell out.  Surely not over Take It Easy because because didn't The Eagles always give Brown partial songwriting credit for that song?   

On 2/21/2016 at 6:38 PM, IpMan said:

Not surprised,  After watching the Eagles documentary Henley comes off as a complete pud, as mentioned earlier. It's a shame that some people can't let things go even after a band(family) member passes.

1 hour ago, The Rover 75 said:

Not surprised,  After watching the Eagles documentary Henley comes off as a complete pud, as mentioned earlier. It's a shame that some people can't let things go even after a band(family) member passes.

Tell me about it, such behavior reminds me of half my family. Talk about messed up actions, when my aunt died several years ago, her three sons got up to act as pallbearers (they were Catholic). When the middle son approached the casket the others stopped him and told him to sit down, he was not welcome. The reason for this is because my cousin is gay and his mother disowned him and his father and brothers and most of the family backed this bullshit. Once the service ended I approached by cousin and apologized on behalf of humanity in general for such abhorrent behavior, not to mention they could have talked to him before the funeral so as not to embarrass him (he is very low key and never has caused any scene or controversy). After I talked to cousin Joey my asshole uncle approached me and asked me and my family to attend the post-funeral dinner. I told him thank you but declined, I wanted to say much more but did not feel this was the avenue for such a discussion. 

I have never associated with this rotted branch of my family tree, or any of those in my family which supported such actions. Some people just cannot get over themselves, however, if they were to apologize and regret their actions I would welcome them back with open arms.

Don Henley is just like those family members, once on his shit list, you are on it for life.