Eagles

The Pagemeister

On February 21, 2016 at 7:38 PM, IpMan said:

Don Felder himself sent condolences and wanted to be part of the tribute to Frey, it was Henley who never replied to Felder's offer. That's Don for ya, ever the class act.

Well  the biggest fighting if you will was between Frey and Felder.   Henley said in response to Felder wanting more vocals, "its like me playing lead guitar on Hotel California".  How can you argue with that statement?  You can't.  Henley is a great great artist.  Timothy B Schmidt is a great artist and he never "rocked the boat" nor did Joe Walsh who is also a great artist but he came right out and said "I could never write songs like Don and Glenn".  I think "Get over It" from Hell Freezes Over was likely partly directed at Felder?  Maybe not?  But make no mistake about it, Henley and Frey were the Eagles for the most part.  The masterminds behind the success.  

Felder didn't want to come back to the Eagles as a hired musician, which is what was offered to him.  He thought the band should split everything as 1/5, they way they did when he entered the band.  Frey and Henley countered with "we kept the Eagles name going with our solo careers" and said they should get the lion's share.  Felder disagreed and wouldn't take the deal and was eventually kicked out/left the band.

• 6 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This was an incredibly tight band and one of my favorite groups.  That being said the way they handled Don Felder was crap.  He didnt always get along with the 2 headed monster and had a legitimate gripe about the business side and the money.  Before Felder came in the clock was ticking on the Eagles. .Ive read his book and seen interviews and he seems like a class guy. . He was a part of the classic line up and a huge part of their sound. He deserved better and ultimately got his due in court. That always bugged me about these guys that they always had to be the kids with the most toys. . Now with Glen gone one original member (Don) theyre no better than Foreigner or Boston or Deep Purple. . Don's sitting on a pile of money. . Its over let go and dont water down the legacy of the greatest American group of all time. . 

4 hours ago, Bozoso73 said:

This was an incredibly tight band and one of my favorite groups.  That being said the way they handled Don Felder was crap.  He didnt always get along with the 2 headed monster and had a legitimate gripe about the business side and the money.  Before Felder came in the clock was ticking on the Eagles. .Ive read his book and seen interviews and he seems like a class guy. . He was a part of the classic line up and a huge part of their sound. He deserved better and ultimately got his due in court. That always bugged me about these guys that they always had to be the kids with the most toys. . Now with Glen gone one original member (Don) theyre no better than Foreigner or Boston or Deep Purple. . Don's sitting on a pile of money. . Its over let go and dont water down the legacy of the greatest American group of all time. . 

Completely agree with all of your points made.  Let it go Don.  No Don Felder, no Randy Meissner, no Glenn Frey, no Eagles.  End of story.  

• 2 months later...

I used to really like this band. After seeing the documentary it made me realize what a big bunch of puds the 2 headed monster is/was. With who is remaining it's just a cash grab to me, leave it alone Henley, ride off into the sunset like you talk about in one of your songs.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Question for Eagles experts. Which Eagles album had a painting / drawing on either the inner gatefold or on the back, of the band in a car on a desolate desert road, the car is wrecked and the band dead with a dead eagle on the hood of the car.

I remember seeing this about 45 years ago but I cannot remember which album. I think it is from On the Border but not sure.

2 hours ago, Walter said:

Thanks for the heads up. Definitely checking this out. It’s not the true eagles - but what group is anymore? Still great tunes!

👍😎🇺🇸🦅

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Let me just say that the loss of Glen Frey is the biggest loss in music since Bonham.  And the biggest of a front line musician, who was a singer and 1/2 of the Eagles, who are the greatest band of all time from the USA.  Not even close.  Sure David Bowie was a hue loss.  But to me Glen Frey was something special.  The Eagles are absolutely my 2nd favorite band only to LZ.  

Ir you ever get to see the concert they did at Melbourne, Australia its really great. They cover all of the eras.  The early 70s, which has the greatest hits like Lyin Eyes and Take It To The Limit and Already Gone, all the way to Hell Freezes Over and Joe Walsh even writes his own song about his battle with alcohol.  Just a fabulous concert.    The only regret was the split with Don Felder.  The guitarist that sits in is great.  A keyboard player they hired , Hollis, is from my home town of Rochester, NY.  Do not know the history.  Ill look into it. 

The Eagles, Frey, Henley, Walsh, Timothy B Schmidt, and Ill list Felder also, were some kind of band.  Great great great!!!  Always and forever I love the Eagles

• 2 weeks later...

Opening with "The Long Run" with Don Henley singing, the Eagles concert at Melbourne, Australia is one kick ass concert.  One of Glen Frey's final shows no doubt.  Its too bad Glen was not at the tribute to the Eagles at the Kennedy Center, hosted by Ringo and Linda Ronstadt.  He was already gone, not meaning to use the great Eagles song as a reference.  Joe Walsh and Timothy B Schmidt are there with Don Henley.  Frey and Henley of course were the main players and formers of the Eagles.  Felder deserves more credit than they gave him.  I know they had a falling out but if you look back historically he should be mentioned, but is not. I think Felder has a big chip on his shoulder and i cant blame him.  I believe he wrote the main riff for Hotel California.  Classic just starts to describe it.  If you play guitar, capo in the 7th fret, standard tuning.