Eagles

The Pagemeister

Henley and Frey were handed a cassette of various riffs and a near Jamaican / reggae-like cadence to an idea they thought they could use to structure into something. Henley and Frey wrote all of the lyrics and chordal arrangements. The dueling solo came from a friendly competition between Felder and Walsh. Felder was initially offered to sing the lead on the song, but he couldn’t cut it in the studio after multiple takes. He was then “invited” to a multi-houred lunch by Irving Asoff while Henley cut the lyrics in the studio. The rest is history. Yes. Frey and Felder didn’t get along as Felder wanted equal top billing (and Equal pay) to founders, Henley & Frey. It was their band (with multiple incarnations well before Felder). Henley runs the show now with a slew of greats (Schmidt, Walsh, Vince Gill and Deacon Frey) along with top notch session backing musicians (Live). 

R😎

Edited by reids

4 hours ago, reids said:

Henley and Frey were handed a cassette of various riffs and a near Jamaican / reggae-like cadence to an idea they thought they could use to structure into something. Henley and Frey wrote all of the lyrics and chordal arrangements. The dueling solo came from a friendly competition between Felder and Walsh. Felder was initially offered to sing the lead on the song, but he couldn’t cut it in the studio after multiple takes. He was then “invited” to a multi-houred lunch by Irving Asoff while Henley cut the lyrics in the studio. The rest is history. Yes. Frey and Felder didn’t get along as Felder wanted equal top billing (and Equal pay) to founders, Henley & Frey. It was their band (with multiple incarnations well before Felder). Henley runs the show now with a slew of greats (Schmidt, Walsh, Vince Gill and Deacon Frey) along with top notch session backing musicians (Live). 

R😎

I was watching Hired Gun on Amazon the other day. Great doc about session musicians and the industry as a whole. Lukather talked about the three components to a musician: technical prowess, dependability, and an amiable personality. Of those three, one is more flexible than the other two (technical prowess). When Steve said he would rather be in a band with sub-par musicians who were dependable and easy to get along with vs. better players I could not agree more. Anyone can learn to be a better player, but dependability and amiability are traits your either have or do not.

Frey & Henley were, are great musicians and amazing writers, I love their music and love the Eagle. Unfortunately both Henley and Frey were not very nice people. If everyone leaves your band except for you and your co-writer that says volumes about you more than it says about those who leave or are fired. And if Henley and Frey were hiring jerks, that's on them as well since they are the ones who brought all those past members into the band.

Eagles, great band but the bosses needed to learn how to play with others and be a bit more equitable regarding money. Should Felder get an equal share? Not if he was hired as a paid musician, but he should get something extra for all the riffs and arrangements he brought to the band. Just like old Mick Ronson.

On 10/25/2021 at 11:57 AM, Strider said:

I was offered a free ticket to the "Eagles" concert at the Forum last Tuesday night. I turned it down. Even if the Dodgers-Braves game hadn't been the same night, I still would have said no. 

That's funny, I was offered a ticket and said yes. I thought it was excellent

On 10/25/2021 at 2:57 PM, Strider said:

I was offered a free ticket to the "Eagles" concert at the Forum last Tuesday night. I turned it down. Even if the Dodgers-Braves game hadn't been the same night, I still would have said no. 

Hopefully your reason would have been NO GLEN FREY?   No other good reason. Because the EAGLES  are a fantastic bad.  I will go as far to say the best band ever from the USA

On 11/6/2021 at 3:14 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Hopefully your reason would have been NO GLEN FREY?   No other good reason. Because the EAGLES  are a fantastic bad.  I will go as far to say the best band ever from the USA

Sorry Rick. I thought you knew of my loathing of the Eagles. 

I didn't so much mind their early albums like "Desperado" and saw them open for Yes in 1972 and at Cal Jam 1974. They rode the coattails of what the Byrds, Gram Parsons and the Flying Burrito Brothers started.

But when they became whining cocaine L.A. cowboys and polished all of the soul and grit and passion out of their music, I found them boring. Then, when I found out what jerks Frey and Henley were, I found them loathsome. They represented the worst of what was called the "L.A. sound" in the 1970s. At least Steely Dan had some humour and quirkiness.

As for the Eagles being the best band from the U.S., that's your right as a fan to think so.

But I'm sure fans of the Byrds, Jimi Hendrix, Creedence Clearwater Revival, ZZ Top, James Brown, The Doors, Van Halen, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers Band, Velvet Underground, Aerosmith, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, Beach Boys would all beg to differ and all have valid arguments in favour of them.

2 hours ago, Strider said:

I didn't so much mind their early albums like "Desperado" and saw them open for Yes in 1972 and at Cal Jam 1974. They rode the coattails of what the Byrds, Gram Parsons and the Flying Burrito Brothers started.

But when they became whining cocaine L.A. cowboys and polished all of the soul and grit and passion out of their music, I found them boring. Then, when I found out what jerks Frey and Henley were, I found them loathsome. They represented the worst of what was called the "L.A. sound" in the 1970s. At least Steely Dan had some humour and quirkiness.

As for the Eagles being the best band from the U.S., that's your right as a fan to think so.

But I'm sure fans of the Byrds, Jimi Hendrix, Creedence Clearwater Revival, ZZ Top, James Brown, The Doors, Van Halen, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Allman Brothers Band, Velvet Underground, Aerosmith, Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers, Beach Boys would all beg to differ and all have valid arguments in favour of them.

Those are all great choices of bands that would be able to have a pretty good argument. And those are all from pretty much the same generation. We could also throw in Janes Addiction, and a host of other bands who came out of the late 80’s early 90’s Gen. The Eagles always bothered me as well. No question that they had some talented musicians, and could right some catchy songs. But Henley and Frey did seem extremely pompous, and one could say that Don was just an ass. 

As a side note, I’m pretty sure that Don Felder wrote the melody/music to Hotel California. I’ve heard him talk about it several times and he has joked that they tried to sue him over his own music. I don’t think Joe badass Walsh even got a writers credit on the song. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2021 at 6:15 PM, Strider said:

How anyone can say anything negative about the Eagles is beyond me..  its rather stupid in my opinion.  I'll say this.  And read this if you read nothing else of this post, THE EAGLES ARE THE GREATEST AMERICAN BAND OF ALL TIME!!!  Not close.  Not close at all.  Henley and Frey are top top  notch writers and musicians as too was Felder and is Joe Walsh.  Get the hell out of here with that crap.  Are you for reaL?  I doubt anyone shares your opinion.  Anyone.  Just fucking stupid talk. The Eagles are great.  Always will be.  Watch their concert in Melbourne Australia before the passing of Glen Frey.  They had so many huge hits.  Take it Easy being one of the first but songs like Lyin Eyes which made number one on both the rock and country charts and song of the year are only a couple examples of the old stuff.  How about Hell Freezes Over? And do I have to mention to you a song like Hotel California?  To me Stairway and Hotel are the best to songs of all time if I had to pick two.  Get real.

I never should have posted the above pic though.  Not the Eagles without Glen Frey.  And for the record I have seen them twice. Not as an opening act for anyone.  I saw the in the 70's and in 2003 in Buffalo.  

Edited by LedZeppfan1977

The challenge is: there are people on the forum who can’t separate the actual art / music from the people (personalities); objectively versus subjectivity... Some tend to lump whether they like the person  themselves (if not); they tend to dismiss an artist / band.  I wonder if they do this with everything else.  I personally can separate the music / art from the person / people. I like the Eagles (Music), but know there are things about individuals (personalities / actions) in the band, which are appalling / ridiculous.  All art / music (appreciation) is subjective (listeners taste / choice), but to immediately discount a band’s music / talent due to what they perceive / know about the individual is shortsighted.  There must be other factors / previous bad experiences / memories related to the listeners lives (perhaps painful; breakup while attending an Eagles concert or the person they dated loved the Eagles; who knows??? ... No charge for the analysis 😆

R😎

You almost have to separate the art from the artist in some instances or else you'll never be able to listen to anything. You can agree that what a person does or says in their personal life is gross/stupid/ignorant/etc. while also agreeing that they're very good at singing or playing the guitar or writing songs, whatever the case may be. Eric Clapton is an anti-vax moron who has said some incredibly racist sh!t in the past, but I can still listen to Layla or Wonderful Tonight and enjoy the songs. I don't like him, but I like his art. We don't even need to get into Jimmy Page and all the shenanigans he got up to in the 70s. Hasn't stopped any of us from loving Led Zeppelin's music and Page's skills as a guitarist and songwriter.

On 11/21/2021 at 4:38 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

How anyone can say anything negative about the Eagles is beyond me..  its rather stupid in my opinion.  I'll say this.  And read this if you read nothing else of this post, THE EAGLES ARE THE GREATEST AMERICAN BAND OF ALL TIME!!!  Not close.  Not close at all.  Henley and Frey are top top  notch writers and musicians as too was Felder and is Joe Walsh.  Get the hell out of here with that crap.  Are you for reaL?  I doubt anyone shares your opinion.  Anyone.  Just fucking stupid talk. The Eagles are great.  Always will be.  Watch their concert in Melbourne Australia before the passing of Glen Frey.  They had so many huge hits.  Take it Easy being one of the first but songs like Lyin Eyes which made number one on both the rock and country charts and song of the year are only a couple examples of the old stuff.  How about Hell Freezes Over? And do I have to mention to you a song like Hotel California?  To me Stairway and Hotel are the best to songs of all time if I had to pick two.  Get real.

I never should have posted the above pic though.  Not the Eagles without Glen Frey.  And for the record I have seen them twice. Not as an opening act for anyone.  I saw the in the 70's and in 2003 in Buffalo.  

You’re this fired up at 4:38 am on a Sunday, about the Eagles?? :hysterical: 

You never cease to amaze…

14 hours ago, Walter said:

You’re this fired up at 4:38 am on a Sunday, about the Eagles?? :hysterical: 

You never cease to amaze…

Oh how funny Walter.  Are you referring to the football team?  Get real.  I love the Eagles.   Not the football team.  You know, Glen Frey, Don Henley, Joe Walsh, Timothy B Shmidt?  Are you not a fan?  My top 5 in music are Led Zeppelin, Eagles, Who, Pink Floyd and I am removing the Stones and putting Deep Purple in at 5.  Why?  Because Keith Richards is a total dick head.  Did you hear that interview on YouTube where he said  about Led Zeppelin "they never got off the ground" and " they were all Jimmy Page"?  Infuriating. No respect for Plant or Bonzo or Jonesey.  Bonham could play with one hand better than Watts.  Page could be shit faced and blind folded and stand on his head and play circles around Richards. Hell, I could give him a run.  And Plant has ten times better a voice than Mick.  I like Mick.  I liked Taylor, the other Mick too.  And Wood really proved he is good on Some Girls.  Richards?  Never thought he was much of a guitarist. Takes the high E string off his damn guitar for Gods sake. and plays in drop D all the time.  He is an idiot.  Bill Wyman at least had the common sense to know it was time to stop.  But Jagger and his greedy skeleton of a band cant get enough American currency.  He is more of a criminal ripping off young people who simply want to say they saw the Stones than DB Cooper.  Today is his 50th anniversary of the famous skyjacking.  UNSOLVED.  Still reading are you Walter?  For what its worth, happy Thanksgiving.  Oh, I bet the Bills and Cowboys on a two team parlay.  Layed the points with Dallas.  Bet Bills on money line.  Our coaching staff is pissing me off. Dallas should blow the Raiders out. I do not get why the line is only 7.  Maybe injuries.  I know Lamb is out likely.  Not sure about Cooper.  We have our arguably best OL out due to fucking Covid.  Good luck.  And come up with better jokes

On 11/24/2021 at 4:54 AM, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Oh how funny Walter.  Are you referring to the football team?  Get real.  I love the Eagles.   Not the football team.  You know, Glen Frey, Don Henley, Joe Walsh, Timothy B Shmidt?  Are you not a fan?  My top 5 in music are Led Zeppelin, Eagles, Who, Pink Floyd and I am removing the Stones and putting Deep Purple in at 5.  Why?  Because Keith Richards is a total dick head.  Did you hear that interview on YouTube where he said  about Led Zeppelin "they never got off the ground" and " they were all Jimmy Page"?  Infuriating. No respect for Plant or Bonzo or Jonesey.  Bonham could play with one hand better than Watts.  Page could be shit faced and blind folded and stand on his head and play circles around Richards. Hell, I could give him a run.  And Plant has ten times better a voice than Mick.  I like Mick.  I liked Taylor, the other Mick too.  And Wood really proved he is good on Some Girls.  Richards?  Never thought he was much of a guitarist. Takes the high E string off his damn guitar for Gods sake. and plays in drop D all the time.  He is an idiot.  Bill Wyman at least had the common sense to know it was time to stop.  But Jagger and his greedy skeleton of a band cant get enough American currency.  He is more of a criminal ripping off young people who simply want to say they saw the Stones than DB Cooper.  Today is his 50th anniversary of the famous skyjacking.  UNSOLVED.  Still reading are you Walter?  For what its worth, happy Thanksgiving.  Oh, I bet the Bills and Cowboys on a two team parlay.  Layed the points with Dallas.  Bet Bills on money line.  Our coaching staff is pissing me off. Dallas should blow the Raiders out. I do not get why the line is only 7.  Maybe injuries.  I know Lamb is out likely.  Not sure about Cooper.  We have our arguably best OL out due to fucking Covid.  Good luck.  And come up with better jokes

What joke? You literally were rage posting at 4:38 am about the Eagles, the musical group. At least that’s what the time stamp said. Happy Thanksgiving, Rick. 

On 11/29/2021 at 6:26 PM, Walter said:

Here ya go Rick! 

Glen Frey was great.   I love the Eagles.  Always will.  I last saw them in 2003 in Buffalo.  I know they are touring without Glen.  I did not think they would but they are.  Its not the same   This is the Hell Freezes Over version of Hotel California.  i used to play it on acoustic.  Without Glen they cant do many  of the old hits.  Lyin Eyes, Take It Easy,  Take it To The Limit, Tequila Sunrise and on and on

7 hours ago, LedZeppfan1977 said:

Glen Frey was great.   I love the Eagles.  Always will.  I last saw them in 2003 in Buffalo.  I know they are touring without Glen.  I did not think they would but they are.  Its not the same   This is the Hell Freezes Over version of Hotel California.  i used to play it on acoustic.  Without Glen they cant do many  of the old hits.  Lyin Eyes, Take It Easy,  Take it To The Limit, Tequila Sunrise and on and on

I just decided to pick up a couple of tickets to their Hotel California gig down here in February. I love the Eagles too. They have played some of Glenn's songs with his son now singing lead and also with Vince Gill singing. Obviously New Kid In Town will be played since they are playing the entire HC album from beginning to end. 

16 hours ago, Walter said:

I just decided to pick up a couple of tickets to their Hotel California gig down here in February. I love the Eagles too. They have played some of Glenn's songs with his son now singing lead and also with Vince Gill singing. Obviously New Kid In Town will be played since they are playing the entire HC album from beginning to end. 

Cant be the same.  Like Led Zeppelin refusing to go on without the drummer who in most circumstances might seem the easiest piece to replace. Of course we know how special he was.  But so was Frey. I do not really think I could go as much as I love Henley.   Of course if Plant were part of it I might reconsider.  And he is opening for them in UK.    Timothy B Schmidt is a great musician also. And of course Joe Walsh

On 11/21/2021 at 5:44 AM, reids said:

The challenge is: there are people on the forum who can’t separate the actual art / music from the people (personalities); objectively versus subjectivity... Some tend to lump whether they like the person  themselves (if not); they tend to dismiss an artist / band.  I wonder if they do this with everything else.  I personally can separate the music / art from the person / people. I like the Eagles (Music), but know there are things about individuals (personalities / actions) in the band, which are appalling / ridiculous.  All art / music (appreciation) is subjective (listeners taste / choice), but to immediately discount a band’s music / talent due to what they perceive / know about the individual is shortsighted.  There must be other factors / previous bad experiences / memories related to the listeners lives (perhaps painful; breakup while attending an Eagles concert or the person they dated loved the Eagles; who knows??? ... No charge for the analysis 😆

R😎

For the record, I started disliking the Eagles long before I found out what bastards Frey and Henley were. Frankly, anyone who is on a Led Zeppelin forum should have no problem with separating the art from the artist. It's been no problem for me, whether we are talking about Wagner, e.e. cummings, Picasso, Hunter S. Thompson, Woody Allen, Chuck Berry, or Led Zeppelin. No need for analysis.

• 9 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...