Led Zeppelin Southampton 1973 Photos (Echo archive)

sam_webmaster

• Administrators

Led Zeppelin photos of Southampton gigs found in Echo archive

3518802.jpg?display=1&htype=0&type=mc2

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/11768554.Amazing_Led_Zeppelin_photos_found_in_Echo_archive/

PHOTOS found in the Echo archives show there was a ‘Whole Lotta Love’ in Southampton back in January 1973 (http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/january-21-1973) when the city played host to one of the world’s biggest rock bands.

These Daily Echo photographs of the gig show the band, which consisted of singer Robert Plant, guitarist Jimmy Page, bassist and keyboardist John Paul Jones and drummer John Bonham, in full flow as they cruised through a set list which included classics Whole Lotta Love, Dazed and Confused, Black Dog and Stairway to Heaven.

3518809.jpg?type=article-full

The Gaumont gig was followed up the next night with a show at Southampton University’s Old Refectory building and it was during this set that singer Robert Plant dedicated Whole Lotta Love to then Southampton University Students’ Union president Alan Whitehead, who would later become better known in the city as the prominent Labour MP.

3518813.jpg?type=article-full

Jimmy Page.

Just as fascinating as the band photographs are those of Zep fans queuing outside for what were relatively intimate gigs compared to their mammoth stadium performances.

3518846.jpg?type=article-full

3518851.jpg?type=article-full

more pics:

Those are some awesome pictures of my favorite concert! I've always wanted a picture of them that night with JPJ on mellotron, now I can really imagine getting groovy with the 9/10th male audience hahaha! Thanks very much for sharing. :)

I have a great sounding CD boot of this show, 3disc, disc 1& 2 is the full show,disc 3 is a sound check rehearsal,earlier that day, (1)drum/mellotron tuning,(2)Love Me,(3) Frankfurt special,(King Creole( bonus tracks of the St,Georges Hall show 01/18 73 ,dazed & confused ,WLL,immigrant song, .the title is "The Great Lost Live Album",by Nasty Music records.very clean sound maybe the best,

Notice how thin and orderly everyone is plus the absence

of everyone texting and updating their facebook page!

"I think i'm going back" (goffin and King)

Ha ha, isn't that the truth. Love these old pictures as they indeed give you a glimpse into the times they were taken in.

I'm too young to have seen Led Zep live, but even I find it a big irritation factor that at concerts today, people are more busy taking pictures with

their smartphones than they are enjoying the music.

Maaike

Wow, Bonham is on the green sparkle kit. So, am I correct he switched to the amber vistalite for the American tour?

Yes! You're correct, Bonzo first used his amber vistalite kit on May 4th in Atlanta if I'm not mistaken. First show of the US tour. There's an interesting photo that I saw on YouTube a while ago from that show of Bonzo w/ the vistalite kit, but his kick drum head is missing the three rings on the front. If I find it I'll have to post it here.

Another interesting Bonham myth is proved with these photos: the fact that he used felt strips live on his kick drum. Its hard to find a photo of his green sparkle kit with a felt strip, but there's one loud and clear in this picture! Thanks a bunch Sam!

I have a great sounding CD boot of this show, 3disc, disc 1& 2 is the full show,disc 3 is a sound check rehearsal,earlier that day, (1)drum/mellotron tuning,(2)Love Me,(3) Frankfurt special,(King Creole( bonus tracks of the St,Georges Hall show 01/18 73 ,dazed & confused ,WLL,immigrant song, .the title is "The Great Lost Live Album",by Nasty Music records.very clean sound maybe the best,

Yup, it was multi-tracked for a possible official live release. The mellotron parts from Stairway were used on How the West Was Won.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Led_Zeppelin_United_Kingdom_Tour_1972%E2%80%931973#Recordings

;)

Yes! You're correct, Bonzo first used his amber vistalite kit on May 4th in Atlanta if I'm not mistaken. First show of the US tour. There's an interesting photo that I saw on YouTube a while ago from that show of Bonzo w/ the vistalite kit, but his kick drum head is missing the three rings on the front. If I find it I'll have to post it here.

Another interesting Bonham myth is proved with these photos: the fact that he used felt strips live on his kick drum. Its hard to find a photo of his green sparkle kit with a felt strip, but there's one loud and clear in this picture! Thanks a bunch Sam!

Thank you sir, much obliged.

Notice how thin and orderly everyone is plus the absence

of everyone texting and updating their facebook page!

"I think i'm going back" (goffin and King)

So true, its like the pictures were taken on another planet compared to today. In 73' almost everyone under the age of 30 was rail thin and the only people who used wheel chairs were actual handicapped people (or Mike Millard).

Go figure...

• 8 months later...

Archived