Feb 3 Jimmy Page Promises 'Quite Different' Direction With New Music

Megalodon

• 2 months later...

The Dark Lord seems very smart and articulate with his posts. I agree that Jimmy may be saying he is going to perform or play guitar as a promotion to seem relevant in the press when he sells merchandise. It is a good tactic to use from a psychological standpoint. If he said he never intends to perform again and is fully retired that makes him seem more irrelevant and dated. It appears Jimmy has been (in reality) fully retired for many years. Maybe he plans to do some acting or something different. I mean he is close to age 72. Why does he need to sell online items anyway? I thought he was wealthy. I met him once in 1986. He was a very nice person and talked to me and my friend for about 10 minutes in a hotel lobby in SF. I was impressed with the fact he appeared to have no ego at all and no entourage...just another man with him -manager I assumed.

Dark Lord, your posts are very intriguing and well thought out. You seem to have logically rationalized the strategy that Jimmy uses with the press to influence readers and other media outlets. Jimmy says "I want to play, I want to perform", etc. in many interviews but never really gives dates for the performances or even mentions who he has lined up to perform with or locations. It is always very vague. By creating the impression he is going to perform at some point, Jimmy feels more relevant in the media and music world even though he has already decided against ever performing again. Perhaps he feels his online merchandise will have more sales if he is perceived as still being "in the game". I think he might have arthritis in his hands and the pain might prevent him from properly playing the guitar although this is only conjecture. I feel he has been fully retired from show business for many years. I remember somewhere I read that Robert Plant stated that many older rock stars retire for good and never get back in the game. I forget where I read this. Jimmy might be tired too. He has had a hard life too with his dependencies and glad he is clean now.

It could be that Jimmy might have arthritis in his hands. Sadly this would make it painful to play guitar.

If that's the case then maybe Jimmy's going to go out on a solo theremin tour! Sadly "theremin" almost sounds like it could be an arthritis medication,

Not for nothing but, While I don't think Jimmy will be putting out anything "new" ever, one would think that if he got wind of all the negative and supportive comments from this site and others that it would motivate him to do so. How many more years should we give Jimmy to release some new music before we can all agree that it's over?

Well, as far as I'm concerned it was over when he disbanded the Page, Jones, Bonham lineup in Summer 2008. Seven years later and nothing even remotely "new".

I agree it's over, but my question was more for those who feel something will be forthcoming anytime now.

I wonder how long can they hold out before even they have to admit it's not going to happen?

Hilarious and apt analogy, Zepphile. I think too many though are besides the totally objective evidence of Page inactivity, are also too

caught up emotionally . I myself after Zeppelin thought Page for sure was going to continue his vast and majestic sonic explorations,

and keep blowing people away. Well Jimmy recovered much of his playing skill in the late 80's and on to the 90's. But Zep level material

and compositional brilliance ?? IMO, gone.

Just remember that Jimmy has been known to be a extremely nervous person at times, which surely at this point of inactivity may be

a huge factor in a return. Not an excuse, but an explanation. Before Page came back with the Firm, he was out of his mind with nerves

and that was a much shorter layoff. I don't expect anything but neither would I rule anything out.

such a let down after the promises of something new.

Has he officially retired? Um... No.... He is not about to put out a solo album during this remasters bonanza and compete with himself... Is he? That would be kind of stupid. Why even bring this up now? Not directed at you..just a general statement..

The last 3 releases are looking real good. Coda, oddly enough might be the most interesting of the bunch. I even read that the Bombay sessions will be included! ...no kidding.....and watched World War 3 break out because someone with 27 posts was cluttering the forum..

Seriously, let it go and be pleasantly surprised if and when it happens..

Just my 2 cents.

And never forget, Led Zeppelin always comes first for Jimmy Page.

He is not about to put out a solo album during this remasters bonanza and compete with himself... Is he? That would be kind of stupid. Why even bring this up now? Not directed at you..just a general statement.

The remasters, a website, a book...you know there's been 17 YEARS of nothing but excuses and alibis. I presume it's being brought up (again) because we're half way thru 2015 and he had said we'd see something original and new in the latter half of the year. Well, that time has come and...(drum roll, please)...still no band and no plan.

The remasters, a website, a book...you know there's been 17 YEARS of nothing but excuses and alibis. I presume it's being brought up (again) because we're half way thru 2015 and he had said we'd see something original and new in the latter half of the year. Well, that time has come and...(drum roll, please)...still no band and no plan.

nope.. The timing sucks though. Didn't the release dates for Presence ITTOD and Coda get announced within the last week..? Great .. But waaah what about the solo album???. Let him get thru the last three releases before you start whining.. Nothing in 17 years .. Give it a rest.

Imagine a vast lunar landscape.

I'm whining and need to give it a rest?! I merely pointed out he's done nothing new for 17 YEARS and that I and many others moved on in 2008.

Not just you Steve, but you're usually at the healm with the jabs....

Sorry I shouldn't have singled you out.. But, calling his mind a "vast lunar landscape" is not "merely" pointing out anything..It's insulting.

I'm going to stick up for the man when he's insulted on his own webpage... He "hopes" to release new material. I believe him. Is It vague? You bet. I don't care. Calling him out for hoping to do something isn't fair. And believe me I want to hear new music from as much as anybody.

Even if his output as a current guitarist has been very little, his work as a Producer and keeping the music of Led Zeppelin up to current standards these past years has been admirable.

Alot of great artists in their later years focus on cleaning up their past works.. Chaplin spent much of his later years composing music to his silent films from the teens and 20's, while "hoping" to release one last movie called The Freak.. The Freak never happened but, his classic movies had a new fresh spin on them.. much like what Page has been focussed on his baby, Led Zeppelin.

I'm done. have to get back to work.

Scroll back again, perhaps you'll see that was said strictly with regard to creating new music. Harsh, possibly insulting, but the past 17 YEARS affirm it to be true nonetheless.

I know what you meant Steve. I don't buy that the well has run dry.

I suppose that people have a right to second guess him. But it's not like he's sitting at home counting his millions either. On the way home tonight, I heard the nightly "Stairway To Seven". A Boston based fm station, WZLX plays 3 Zeppelin songs in a row at 7:00. Tonight they played Sugar Mama, Fool In The Rain and Custard Pie. They sounded great. I could tell right off they were the remastered versions... So it's not like he's just sitting on his ass. He's working very hard on music. A lot harder than most would as a 71 year old multi millionaire.

Again I want to hear some new ideas as much as anybody, but I will continue to patiently wait and enjoy what he is working on..

One thing most people/fans don't realize is that from somewhere in the early to mid 70's, Page ceased to be a daily playing/practicing

guitarist. A very large % of great players play hours a day, sometimes for decades on end. Although the repetition may carve them

into less predictable ways of playing than Page, you rarely if ever see the massive f**kups Page is prone to.

I just say keep Page on ice, and though Page makes his various pronouncements, some act as if he has made spectacular

promises of an imminent return to Zep greatness, which he hasn't. I don't believe he has intended to mislead anyone either,

but he has certainly disappointed many. And don't forget that Page has never IMO been a good oral communicator. I have literally

dozens of interviews from the last 20 ?? years where Page talks but just doesn't come across in any conclusive manner.

It is hard to imagine him doing future projects. I see no evidence of a lineup of band members or promos of a few appearances --not even jumping on a stage to perform with others for a few minutes. Maybe he hates performing now. When I saw Jimmy in person in 1986 and talked to him in lobby of SF hotel, he looked taller than I expected and he was about 42 I think so still youngish looking with the black wild hair. I think it was the FIRM tour I saw him in. He sort of has a roundish face and flattish face but nice looking and very white complexion. I would say he was attractive in person... I was only a few feet away but he was not overly handsome in the classic movie star way.....like that old time guy Errol Flynn and also that guy in the rack pat Peter Lawrence... classically handsome. Even Bieber is better looking. But Jimmy was very nice but a bit aloof. At least he talked to me and my friend for about 10 minutes. Most rock stars would have had huge egos and brushed us off.

As far as the comment of the millions of dollars, hard to know how many millions he ended up with when the management had drug problems. I read Grant was good with investing the millions but it is hard to really know. I suppose Jimmy is so into preserving the Led Zeppelin heritage to preserve it for future generations. It is obvious he will never be that famous or creative again and that is what he will be remembered for.

Well one of the biggest problems of any of the the greatest rock guitarists is that there seems to be that outstanding period of

greatness, and the almost inevitable slide or retreat into just above-average playing or even mediocrity. As mentioned Beck

has somehow escaped this fate, but Beck is a brilliant guitar PLAYER, not really a great songwriter. Page, even though after

Zep he really fell apart for awhile but eventually recovered, has had such inconsistency compared with his peers, is probably

(Possibly) petrified with coming back.

It is amazing JEFF BECK is the same age as Jimmy yet can still play technically and brilliantly.

Jeff deals in technique, but Jimmy has always dealt in emotion. I imagine it's very difficult to conjure emotive qualities in one's playing when one's heart isn't in it.

Archived