Feb 3 Jimmy Page Promises 'Quite Different' Direction With New Music

Megalodon

The latest post on Tight but Lose by Dave Lewis has this

" I mentioned last week there has been plenty of positive talk from the man himself that he will be out there playing –  and there are plenty of sceptics out there who will believe it when they see it…. as I’ve noted before, as far I am concerned the man owes us nothing.

I personally believe something special is going to happen ahead that will put Jimmy Page right back in the forefront of contemporary music"

I respect Lewis, but to say that Page will do something that would put him "back in the forefront of contemporary music" is a very bold statement. Anyway, I hope Lewis has got some insider info to back up his belief that Page will be back playing live in 2016. 

My mental picture of how the karaoke gig might work is that a select number of  Led Zeppelin fans buy very expensive tickets to a sing along of Led Zeppelin songs with Jimmy Page leading on guitar.  I'm reminded of the fantasy baseball camps where wealthy men pay a lot of money to play catch with former Major League players.  The customers get to live out their fantasy of playing baseball with their childhood sports heroes while the retired players earn some easy money.   Btw, this is how I imagine a karaoke Led Zeppelin concert might go; I have no idea of what Page is actually envisioning.

My initial reaction was to role my eyes at the idea.  Then I realized that since Page co-wrote, played and produced this music, he should be able to do what he damn well pleases with it.  It's his musical output and legacy; not mine.  Led Zeppelin made some great music in their day but, it's not sacred.  I'm also reminded of something Page said during an interview shortly after the O2 concert.  He mentioned that it was the first Led Zeppelin concert he had performed while sober.  During another interview years earlier, he remarked that drugs were part of his Led Zeppelin experience from the very beginning.  Think about those two statements and what they mean:  During the twelve years that Led Zeppelin was an active band, Page was either high, stoned, or drunk during every one of their concerts.  Maybe one of the reasons Page wants a Zep reunion is that he wants to experience playing the music that made him famous without the filter of drugs or alcohol.  Of course, I don't know the man so everything I just wrote could be way off base.  

On 1/9/2016 at 6:35 PM, Disco Duck said:

During the twelve years that Led Zeppelin was an active band, Page was either high, stoned, or drunk during every one of their concerts.  

And on a lot of occasions probably all three!

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 2:15 PM, Flares said:

" I mentioned last week there has been plenty of positive talk from the man himself that he will be out there playing –  and there are plenty of sceptics out there who will believe it when they see it…. as I’ve noted before, as far I am concerned the man owes us nothing.

I personally believe something special is going to happen ahead that will put Jimmy Page right back in the forefront of contemporary music"

I respect Lewis, but to say that Page will do something that would put him "back in the forefront of contemporary music" is a very bold statement. Anyway, I hope Lewis has got some insider info to back up his belief that Page will be back playing live in 2016. 

Dave's an eternal optimist. I don't think he'd ever say a negative word about Page even if he wanted to.

It is a problem with Dave Lewis that he is so dedicated to the band and anything connected to it, he makes himself unreliable in his reporting. If page said he was going to record this alleged new album on the moon Dave would report it as a fact.

7 minutes ago, jsj said:

It is a problem with Dave Lewis that he is so dedicated to the band and anything connected to it, he makes himself unreliable in his reporting. If page said he was going to record this alleged new album on the moon Dave would report it as a fact.

Well, I wouldn't say his reporting is unreliable - he's quite good about reporting/quoting accurately - but he's also very optimistic.

If you need someone to tell you that nothing Page says about a solo project will ever amount to anything I'm your Huckleberry.

Some are optimists, some are pessimists. Views may vary and indeed they do.

I did notice that after Dave made the comment re: Jimmy doing something
special and what not, he kinda sorta covered his tracks with also saying -
"As far as I'm concerned the man owes us nothing"   as in back off folks if
Pagey doesn't put an album out. 

Dave is quite the Pollyanna when it comes to Jimmy's projects isn't he. :)

8 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Dave's an eternal optimist. I don't think he'd ever say a negative word about Page even if he wanted to.

I've been following TBL for years and early on he did criticise Page. But back then it was a hobby and now it's his day job and it's how he makes his living.

So it might be that he needs to way up being objective and peeing Page off and not getting any access for interviews, etc. (Although it's only recently that Jimmy granted Lewis his first on the record piece for TBL - the fanzine has been going since the late '70s).

At the end of the day TBL is a "fanzine", not a piece of journalism, and is quite rightly infused with emotion, nostalgia and personal opinion. 

I think Lewis has done a great service to Zep fans over the years with providing info and reporting and I love his feather in the wind book. But, yes, his reluctance to critice Page over his repeated BS about playing live is a bit of a blind spot.

10 hours ago, KellyGirl said:

I did notice that after Dave made the comment re: Jimmy doing something
special and what not, he kinda sorta covered his tracks with also saying -
"As far as I'm concerned the man owes us nothing"   as in back off folks if
Pagey doesn't put an album out. 

Dave is quite the Pollyanna when it comes to Jimmy's projects isn't he. :)

He's a sycophant. 

On 09/01/2016 at 2:15 PM, Flares said:

I think Dave Lewis is a very passionate fan of the band and a great source of information, but like Steve and one or two others, I am in the "believe it when I hear it" camp.

It would also help if Jimmy did not keep saying he would start work on new music every year,  then he can get on with the "owes us nothing" part of his life, and every fan would understand......well maybe most us.:D

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Flares said:

Right, January is nearly over. Anyone heard rumours about Page broaching musicians to jam new material or any other glimmer of hope?

One down, 11 to go. Fuel the tour bus...;-)

Jimmy Page??? That dog won't hunt and it's been truly over for at least eight years now. 

On 1/9/2016 at 9:35 PM, Disco Duck said:

My mental picture of how the karaoke gig might work is that a select number of  Led Zeppelin fans buy very expensive tickets to a sing along of Led Zeppelin songs with Jimmy Page leading on guitar.  I'm reminded of the fantasy baseball camps where wealthy men pay a lot of money to play catch with former Major League players.  The customers get to live out their fantasy of playing baseball with their childhood sports heroes while the retired players earn some easy money.   Btw, this is how I imagine a karaoke Led Zeppelin concert might go; I have no idea of what Page is actually envisioning.

My initial reaction was to role my eyes at the idea.  Then I realized that since Page co-wrote, played and produced this music, he should be able to do what he damn well pleases with it.  It's his musical output and legacy; not mine.  Led Zeppelin made some great music in their day but, it's not sacred.  I'm also reminded of something Page said during an interview shortly after the O2 concert.  He mentioned that it was the first Led Zeppelin concert he had performed while sober.  During another interview years earlier, he remarked that drugs were part of his Led Zeppelin experience from the very beginning.  Think about those two statements and what they mean:  During the twelve years that Led Zeppelin was an active band, Page was either high, stoned, or drunk during every one of their concerts.  Maybe one of the reasons Page wants a Zep reunion is that he wants to experience playing the music that made him famous without the filter of drugs or alcohol.  Of course, I don't know the man so everything I just wrote could be way off base.  

He might be considering letting random clowns onstage with him. But he could also be referring to the instrumental "Stairway to Heaven"s of  the Outrider tour where the crowd sang the lyrics at every show and how that might be a memorable concert experience for everyone, I bet he spends more time reveling in good memories like that than lamenting past drug use. He leaves that to the forum members here. 

3 hours ago, juxtiphi said:

I don't believe Jimmy will do anything worthwhile but if and I say IF he does I hope it's not with Dave Grohl 

Well, let's look at this. He made this "something quite different" pronouncement a year ago now, and he said it would come to fruition around late 2015, but considering the progress he has made to date, I don't think you have to worry about Jimmy playing with Dave Grohl, or anyone else for that matter. The only thing Jimmy is guaranteed to do, is to spin a fresh new yarn for 2016. 

Jimmy knows full well that the one thing still lacking in the Zeppelin canon is a full official live recording of the band on peak form and at the very height of their powers, How The West is about as close as he's got so far. And despite many claims to the contrary, I'm fairly confident that he'll have one knocking around somewhere. Cue another decade of digging through the vault...

1 hour ago, Azapro911 said:

Jimmy knows full well that the one thing still lacking in the Zeppelin canon is a full official live recording of the band on peak form and at the very height of their powers, How The West is about as close as he's got so far. And despite many claims to the contrary, I'm fairly confident that he'll have one knocking around somewhere. Cue another decade of digging through the vault...

He's found it. He said 1972 was Zeppelin's peak.

1 minute ago, Stairway is NOT stolen said:

He's found it. He said 1972 was Zeppelin's peak.

Yes, but he's only released the best bits of two nights pieced together.  An authentic, Atlantic/Swan Song released full Zeppelin show remains elusive.

It cracks me up how people say he'll either do another archive live release or a new album/tour. Plenty of artists of his vintage - Neil Young, McCartney - do both on a regular basis. He's already been through all the old tapes with KS and has earmarked the best stuff and probably transferred everything from tape to digital. He just needs to let a trusted producer/engineer get on with it and reviews the material  as the project unfolds. Meanwhile, he gets his butt into the studio and gets playing. 

9 hours ago, Justfred said:

I disagree. Jimmy Page should be starting his "Far East Tour" soon.

Jimmy only returns to Japan if he is on promotional duties for a new release. He definitely got their hopes up with things he said during the last visit about returning to the stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUzv2VjyIio 

Archived