Feb 3 Jimmy Page Promises 'Quite Different' Direction With New Music

Megalodon

10 hours ago, Flares said:

It cracks me up how people say he'll either do another archive live release or a new album/tour. Plenty of artists of his vintage - Neil Young, McCartney - do both on a regular basis. He's already been through all the old tapes with KS and has earmarked the best stuff and probably transferred everything from tape to digital. He just needs to let a trusted producer/engineer get on with it and reviews the material  as the project unfolds. Meanwhile, he gets his butt into the studio and gets playing. 

The thing is, Jimmy seems to completely unable to multi-task when it comes to musical projects. 

Look at the 2014/15 remasters.
The entire technical task of actually remastering the back catalogue probably took something in the order of a couple of weeks to a month..... for the remastering engineer.  Jimmy only really had to go in, have a listen and sign off that he was satisfied.
The artwork probably took a little longer - maybe a few months. 
Again, Jimmy had to go in, have a look, and sign off that he was satisfied.
Apart from that, the only thing he had to do was some promo work for 5 release slots: 3-4 weeks of travelling about per release, over two years.
That left him a truly enormous amount of time to get a band together, find a discreet rehearsal space and work up some new music.
He said at the end of July (after the last releases) that he was gearing up to go...... but he still, in his own words, didn't have a clue as to what he was going to do or who he was going to do it with.

That was six months ago, and still not a peep.

If he does another archive release, there will definitely be no new music.

If he doesn't do another archive release, it's still doubtful there will be any new music.

3 hours ago, woz70 said:

The thing is, Jimmy seems to completely unable to multi-task when it comes to musical projects. 

Look at the 2014/15 remasters.

The artwork probably took a little longer - maybe a few months. 

Somehow I doubt that, opening the original cover art in a programme  such as "Paint" then clicking on invert colours would have taken seconds, no effort involved at all.

1 hour ago, Flares said:

video or audio only?

I think he's going to conclude that the Earls Court video footage included on the Led Zeppelin DVD (2003) will suffice. Trying to salvage the remaining footage would be a monumental task, and one I doubt could be completed properly in time for a late 2016/early 2017 release.

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

I think he's going to conclude that the Earls Court video footage included on the Led Zeppelin DVD (2003) will suffice. Trying to salvage the remaining footage would be a monumental task, and one I doubt could be completed properly in time for a late 2016/early 2017 release.

Which to me is crazy.  The dvd's I have from the 24th and 25th are not that far from official release quality, IMO.  But then again, I'm not Jimmy Page.  I really hope you're prediction comes true. 

4 hours ago, JTM said:

Somehow I doubt that, opening the original cover art in a programme  such as "Paint" then clicking on invert colours would have taken seconds, no effort involved at all.

Ha!  There is that.....
I was thinking of the assembly of the booklets for the deluxe sets too, and taking into account historical artwork issues with the Zep catalogue.

3 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Having the video would also limit the amount of audio jiggery-pokery he'd be able to get away with e.g. cutting in different bits of songs from different nights.  Not having to match to video makes life immeasurably simpler!

Just now, TheGreatOne said:

3 Things -  Jimmy does not seem to be in any rush.  Jimmy does not need the money and Jimmy never never put any serious effort in any post Zeppelin projects

He didn't put any effort into The Firm or Coverdale/Page?

On 1/26/2016 at 5:29 PM, Badgeholder Still said:

He might be considering letting random clowns onstage with him. But he could also be referring to the instrumental "Stairway to Heaven"s of  the Outrider tour where the crowd sang the lyrics at every show and how that might be a memorable concert experience for everyone, I bet he spends more time reveling in good memories like that than lamenting past drug use. He leaves that to the forum members here. 

Oh no... not Stairway again!!!! I'd much rather learn and sing Bron-Y-Aur Stomp or Good Times Bad Times

If it was new music and touring vs. a new "Led Zeppelin Live" project similar to the studio re-release project, Gimme that live project every day of the week! :D ESPECIALLY if it is staggered releases of different periods with content that really does blow away people for the content no one currently really knows about. Audio and video.

Well I can dream! :P

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/30/2016 at 7:06 AM, SteveAJones said:

I saw this article -  http://www.elsewhere.co.nz/absoluteelsewhere/474/john-paul-jones-of-led-zeppelin-interviewed-2003-the-songs-remain-reissued/

Seems like Page had things in all sorts of un-marked boxes and was a big disaster sorting through things.   The article mentions all 3 members vetoed but enjoyed viewing the footage ?

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 1:07 AM, TheGreatOne said:

I saw this article -  http://www.elsewhere.co.nz/absoluteelsewhere/474/john-paul-jones-of-led-zeppelin-interviewed-2003-the-songs-remain-reissued/

Seems like Page had things in all sorts of un-marked boxes and was a big disaster sorting through things.   The article mentions all 3 members vetoed but enjoyed viewing the footage ?

You may have misunderstood. Each of them had the right to veto the inclusion of any particular footage on the dvd. Put differently, they all agreed with what is included on the dvd, some of which is Earls Court footage.   

4 hours ago, Flares said:

Okay, two down, 10 to go. Anyone heard a whisper of Page jamming with folk or rehearsing new material? 

You already know that dog won't hunt. A countdown is a waste of time.

That article looks to be older than the DVD, not sure when the DVD came out and maybe they changed their minds.   There has gotten to be sound check footage somewhere.  Considering the production behind it and setting up and testing, there has gotta to be something.  Even the MSG stuff and later studio fake stage footage.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
13 minutes ago, feather in the wind said:

nothing missed. he promised hope, lots of hope. nothing happened.

Nah, nobody was listening, nobody believed....

• 2 months later...

I met Jimmy at the Kennedy Center Honors and later had the somewhat surreal opportunity to talk to him for a bit after the whole shebang at the after-party. I was fairly nervous about asking him why he wasn't recording and touring new music, but I really wanted to know,  so I carefully asked what he's been working on lately. He said , " There will be some big surprises for Zep fans soon" and thats what he was working on. That was it. I wanted to ask him... why don't you play more often? Don't you get the itch? But I didn't feel right , I didn't want to come off like a presumptuous ass so I just assumed that meant more live Zep would be in the works.  That was Dec 2012. I later realized he was talking about the reissues and the Deluxe editions.  Still no new music or band, 4 years later. Seems odd but maybe he just feels too old to get up there and strut and pout and wail away. I saw David Gilmour this past spring and the concert was so great, he is as vital sounding as ever. What happened Jimmy?? So much talent that's been languishing. 

5 hours ago, porgie66 said:

What happened Jimmy?? So much talent that's been languishing. 

As I posted to this thread last March (and elsewhere many times prior to that) this dog won't hunt. Here's the bottom line on Jimmy Page's solo output for the past 25 YEARS

Solo Singles: 0

Solo Albums: 0

Solo Concert Length Performances: 0 

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

As I posted to this thread last March (and elsewhere many times prior to that) this dog won't hunt. Here's the bottom line on Jimmy Page's solo output for the past 25 YEARS

Solo Singles: 0

Solo Albums: 0

Solo Concert Length Performances: 0 

you can  keep stating this pal but the fools still wont believe it. they love to cling to some vague distant dim hope that something somewhere might just happen maybe

Archived