Feb 3 Jimmy Page Promises 'Quite Different' Direction With New Music

Megalodon

^^ These are interesting and related thoughts: once you create the musical equivalent of the Sistine Chapel, where do you go from there? Yet clearly once Jimmy got through the worst parts of his addictions, he's had a longing to create and play. I recall reading about how Lawrence Olivier went on a crying rant after a performance which by all accounts was mesmerizing. Well that was the point: he knew he had reached a level in that performance that he'd never had and would likely never reach again, at least that was his feeling. It's exhilarating and crushing at the same time, and can freeze artists.

Robert was as closely associated with Zep as Jimmy, but he seems to have been affected in ways that questioned his role in the whirlwind, and, frankly, he was willing to suck again. He just got out there again and kept going without knowing exactly where or how things would go. It's so brave, but maybe that's what he needed to just somehow go on and find his own voice separate from Zep and perhaps outrun some memories.

Jimmy, on the other hand, I think would have liked nothing more than for Zep to continue. It was his baby, and he still tends to it meticulously, which I think we somehow slightly take for granted because he's always heralding and maintaining its exacting standards. But it's a bit of a golden cage, too. It reminds me of the story of the four hats where four men encounter the numinous and have different reactions. We all get a bit of that after an amazing concert or other experience, and artists of course get that high, too. It's hard to figure out how to get back into and appreciate the everydayness of life, or in Jimmy's case, to get back to playing after the pinnacles that Zep reached.

I think there's more to Jimmy's relationship with Peter Grant than most people know. Not so much in a seedy way, but in a complex way. Peter protected the band, but it was in his best interest for the juggernaut to continue. It's a fine line. His was a strong presence, to restate an obvious point, there's just something to it, I get a sense of it but can't put my finger on it in terms of how it affected or influenced Jimmy...

As to the point about Jimmy being allowed to make mistakes, well there's outside pressure, certainly, but he seems like a sensitive perfectionist which is a hard inner battle that doesn't make new output easier.

I didn't realize that Dreja has had a series of strokes.  That sounds alarming.

Well, personally I believe Jimmy Page is done and The Yardbirds little more than Chris Dreja's Yardbirds Experience. Mind you, The Yardbirds have some talented guys in their lineup and put on a good show but my analogy seems to fit. Page could achieve everything with group of unknowns that he could achieve with The Yardbirds without the baggage of being in Dreja's band. May as well form Jimmy Page's Led Zeppelin Experience for that matter, if he's going to stay living in the past, artistically speaking. No, as I said, when the Jimmy, JPJ & Jason lineup went nowhere in 2008 that was really and truly the end. It's over and no amount of five minute jams will ever convince me otherwise.  

I believe you are right. So much talk about projects with new music, when he can't even muster a competent rendition of a simple and familiar song. I thought the Yardbirds could be a lifeboat for him - but now it looks like he's been thrown the anchor, instead.

It sounded like re-hashed information we have already heard.

Yup.  Still going to "really start playing all the time at home" and "getting a band together" and "be seen playing live" and blah blah blah.

Sorry, but man have I lost a lot of respect for the guy.  I think Steve said it when he said something along the lines of "except for Elvis, here's a major talent that has been horrifically mismanaged".   No way do we see a new solo album in 2016, bank on it.  Maybe another "emptying of the vaults" like Lucifer Rising (Christ man, that shit was dead and buried for a reason, don't exhume rotting corpses like that), but nothing new. 

Maybe if people like Paul Rodgers and Jason and other top flight talent approached HIM to do something, we might see it.  But if he is driving the bus, we're staying in the ditch a long long time.

No way do we see a new solo album in 2016, bank on it.  Maybe another "emptying of the vaults" like Lucifer Rising (Christ man, that shit was dead and buried for a reason, don't exhume rotting corpses like that), but nothing new. 

Jimmy's next album will almost certainly be an official live Earls Court CD (late 2016/early 2017).

Yup.  Still going to "really start playing all the time at home" and "getting a band together" and "be seen playing live" and blah blah blah.

Sorry, but man have I lost a lot of respect for the guy.  I think Steve said it when he said something along the lines of "except for Elvis, here's a major talent that has been horrifically mismanaged".   No way do we see a new solo album in 2016, bank on it.  Maybe another "emptying of the vaults" like Lucifer Rising (Christ man, that shit was dead and buried for a reason, don't exhume rotting corpses like that), but nothing new. 

Maybe if people like Paul Rodgers and Jason and other top flight talent approached HIM to do something, we might see it.  But if he is driving the bus, we're staying in the ditch a long long time.

100% agreed, except that I have not lost respect for Jimmy. I pity him, but I still respect him very much. He just really needs to stop humiliating himself with empty pronouncements that will never be fulfilled. He clearly has no clue as to how he is being perceived after years and years of unkept promises.

I would respect Jimmy much more if he simply stated that he was done playing. There is nothing wrong with hanging it up. He's done it all anyway, and I don't think he really has the ability to grow anymore. His days of growth and creativity are behind him. The role of archivist is perfect for him.

I listened to "Outrider" the other night.  It had been awhile.  I can criticize this effort on some levels, but I had truly forgotten how good those instrumentals like "Liquid Mercury" and "Writes of Winter" were and still are.  The guitar army was in full force, and those efforts certainly rivaled anything done by his guitar peers.  It's a shame he didn't follow that direction a bit more with another solo release.

Never thought about it, but "Writes of Winter" is exactly what it says it is....his guitar doodlings from that Winter....probably staring out the window with an acoustic.

I listened to "Outrider" the other night.  It had been awhile.  I can criticize this effort on some levels, but I had truly forgotten how good those instrumentals like "Liquid Mercury" and "Writes of Winter" were and still are.  The guitar army was in full force, and those efforts certainly rivaled anything done by his guitar peers.  It's a shame he didn't follow that direction a bit more with another solo release.

Never thought about it, but "Writes of Winter" is exactly what it says it is....his guitar doodlings from that Winter....probably staring out the window with an acoustic.

I remember I was 20 years old and working on a roof with a boombox when WNEW (NY) played Hummingbird and Emerald Eyes back to back and knowing Jimmy had an album coming out I thought, "That HAS to be Page!"  I liked The Firm but it was so good to hear Jimmy sounding more like "himself" again.

I get some of the criticism of Outrider (in particular I wish Farlowe would have swallowed the "weasel in my pocket" stanza in the otherwise sterling Prison Blues) but I love it.

Thanks, I remember watching this on youtube when it first came out. It was a great clip and interview of him italking about his favourite guitars n the guitar shop and would love to see it again. Would you mind posting the link? Not sure if it's been taken down but I can't find it.

Sorry Trey for the late reply, I'll try to find the clip on "media". still looks to me like he was looking for a discount or remembering  when he used to play guitars......:D

When i read, quite different for page...i would love to hear an experimental album. Either all electronics and page guitar, an instrumental album with a rock band like jones did w zooma. Or, a commercial santana like record w current artists to sell records, as long as its good.

jimmy has been promising this solo album for several years longer than the whole of the career of Led zeppelin lasted

he's just a bullshitter who can no longer be taken seriously as to anything he says

jimmy has been promising this solo album for several years longer than the whole of the career of Led zeppelin lasted

he's just a bullshitter who can no longer be taken seriously as to anything he says

Haha. Well, he certainly has mastered the concept of 'poetic licence' in all that he says. 

I get some of the criticism of Outrider (in particular I wish Farlowe would have swallowed the "weasel in my pocket" stanza in the otherwise sterling Prison Blues) but I love it.

My biggest issue with Outrider.  As you say, absolutely sterling music on Prison Blues, musically one of the jewels of the album   - but with lyrics that turn me off it again and again. Just crass . 

100% agreed, except that I have not lost respect for Jimmy. I pity him, but I still respect him very much. He just really needs to stop humiliating himself with empty pronouncements that will never be fulfilled. He clearly has no clue as to how he is being perceived after years and years of unkept promises.

I would respect Jimmy much more if he simply stated that he was done playing. There is nothing wrong with hanging it up. He's done it all anyway, and I don't think he really has the ability to grow anymore. His days of growth and creativity are behind him. The role of archivist is perfect for him.

He did acknowledge in an interview at the classic rock awards that he is "a bit behind schedule".

I think he's actually embarrassed because everyone keeps asking him about playing agin and he feels he has to say he's got something in the works.

If it's not that, he bullshitting and playing the media game for publicity.

I think he's actually embarrassed because everyone keeps asking him about playing agin and he feels he has to say he's got something in the works.

If it's not that, he bullshitting and playing the media game for publicity.

I'll take Playing the Media Game for $200.

He did acknowledge in an interview at the classic rock awards that he is "a bit behind schedule".

Interviewed for the latest"Classic Rock" mag Page says when asked  'Where are you at now in terms of a new band and new music?'

"It's not like I'm a year behind. I'm a few months adrift, because I really hoped to be up and running at this point. But I will be next year"

it would be nice if an interviewer had the balls to follow up an answer from Page like this with a reply along the lines of "yeah but you've been saying this for well over 10 years, why should we believe you this time?"

Archived