New book on Earls Court concerts 'Five Glorious Nights'

Joe Bloggs

limited edition any chance release in canada

Dunno about this new one, but I had to order Dave's book about the 1980 tour direct from his website, shipped direct from England (I'm still waiting for the thing to arrive, actually)

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/news/2015-02-04/led-zep-s-five-night-earls-court-run-documented

Led Zeppelin’s run of shows at London’s Earls Court in 1975 is to be celebrated in an upcoming book.

Led Zeppelin - Five Glorious Nights launches in May via Rufus Stone and will chronicle the performances through mono and colour images taken over the course of the May 17, 18, 23, 24 and 25 concerts.

The limited-edition book was complied by Dave Lewis, author of the Led Zep Tight But Loose website and magazine. It will feature images taken by photographers including Barry Plummer, Dick Barnatt, Ian Dickson, Michael Putland, Mick Gold and Gus Stewart and each copy will be individually numbered.

Rufus Stone say about the volume: “Published on the 40th anniversary of the event and as sadly, the bulldozers move in to demolish the Earls Court Exhibition Centre itself, Five Glorious Nights offers a permanent visual record of a band at their absolute zenith – in a setting that truly justified their status as the world’s greatest live rock attraction.”

limited edition any chance release in canada

It's limited to 1,000 individually numbered copies. I imagine they will all be sold online via the publisher's website or from Dave's site. The price point is approximately 100 GBP (about $200 USD). I have received confirmation this book does include at least six "rarely seen" photographs. Seeking clarification if that means they are previously unpublished or just obscure.

I really admire this trend towards outlandish prices for Zep books. I'm sure the EC book will be good but the band hadn't yet become full tilt off the charts maniacs, which would be the LA FORUM 77' book.

To my eyes and ears, the Earls Court concerts of May 1975 are second to none.

I was looking for the full Earl's Court video but at this moment this is all I could find. I have 2 Led Zeppelin Earl's Court dvds in My personal collection. I have the only 2 that were bootlegged released, May 24 and May 25, 1975. I have to believe that all 5 shows were professionally filmed just because of the 20x by 30x film screens that were utilized for these 5 historic Led Zeppelin concerts.

I was looking for the full Earl's Court video but at this moment this is all I could find. I have 2 Led Zeppelin Earl's Court dvds in My personal collection. I have the only 2 that were bootlegged released, May 24 and May 25, 1975. I have to believe that all 5 shows were professionally filmed just because of the 20x by 30x film screens that were utilized for these 5 historic Led Zeppelin concerts.

It's generally agreed that the 24th and 25th were the only two of the five that were committed to tape. Just because they had video screens doesn't automatically imply they actually recorded the video feed - there's lots of debate and argument around this amongst the afficionados.

Lots more info in this topic:

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/17057-professionally-filmed-led-zeppelin-concerts/page-2

I could care less!

By all means, go ahead. While you're at it, please acquaint yourself with the english language.

Ignore the troll, Strider...not sure if he's just an idiot, mentally deficient or both. What a maroon :lol:

Dunno about this new one, but I had to order Dave's book about the 1980 tour direct from his website, shipped direct from England (I'm still waiting for the thing to arrive, actually)

Well, Dave's 1980 book finally arrived, and it's fantastic! I'm sure his Earls Court book won't disappoint!

Uh...Mr Lewis? If I may make a two word suggestion for your next book project: 1977 TOUR!!!!!

To my eyes and ears, the Earls Court concerts of May 1975 are second to none.

Exactly, which is why I'm so for an official Earl's Court live release, it really was LZ at their very pinnacle and firing on all cylinders, better than they ever were before or ever would be again (and before the litany of tragedy, misfortune, death, and rampant substance abuse wore down their once razor-sharp edge and ultimately ended their extraordinary reign)... if the purpose of a live album is to capture for posterity the very essence of a band onstage, you couldn't capture the essence of Zep more than the Earl's Court shows; by late May 1975, their overall playing - both individually and collectively - was simply extraordinary and which just demands to be given an official live audio release (the filmed footage we're already catered for via the 2003 DVD release)... I see it as somewhat of a hole in the official released canon of Zep; we have How The West Was Won from L.A. in June 1972 on the tour in support of IV, and The Song Remains The Same from N.Y.C. in July 1973 on the tour in support of Houses of the Holy (a nice little east-west bookend), but it's always been a lost/missed opportunity not to have an official live release from the tour in support of Physical Graffiti - arguably their masterpiece - and the Earl's Court shows were the very epitome of that period; a truly extraordinary band at the most truly extraordinary period of their tenure, both creatively and commercially... if THAT doesn't deserve or warrant an official live album, then I'll never understand what does.

I know Jimmy Page has said recently he's pretty much done with LZ releases, and in past interviews that no further live releases are either planned or likely, but Earl's Court was not just another stint at a particular venue at a particular time on a particular tour, it was something truly special in the pantheon of LZ performances and the one most deserving of a final (and dare I say even definitive?) official live release...

Exactly, which is why I'm so for an official Earl's Court live release, it really was LZ at their very pinnacle and firing on all cylinders, better than they ever were before or ever would be again (and before the litany of tragedy, misfortune, death, and rampant substance abuse wore down their once razor-sharp edge and ultimately ended their extraordinary reign)... if the purpose of a live album is to capture for posterity the very essence of a band onstage, you couldn't capture the essence of Zep more than the Earl's Court shows; by late May 1975, their overall playing - both individually and collectively - was simply extraordinary and which just demands to be given an official live audio release (the filmed footage we're already catered for via the 2003 DVD release)... I see it as somewhat of a hole in the official released canon of Zep; we have How The West Was Won from L.A. in June 1972 on the tour in support of IV, and The Song Remains The Same from N.Y.C. in July 1973 on the tour in support of Houses of the Holy (a nice little east-west bookend), but it's always been a lost/missed opportunity not to have an official live release from the tour in support of Physical Graffiti - arguably their masterpiece - and the Earl's Court shows were the very epitome of that period; a truly extraordinary band at the most truly extraordinary period of their tenure, both creatively and commercially... if THAT doesn't deserve or warrant an official live album, then I'll never understand what does.

I know Jimmy Page has said recently he's pretty much done with LZ releases, and in past interviews that no further live releases are either planned or likely, but Earl's Court was not just another stint at a particular venue at a particular time on a particular tour, it was something truly special in the pantheon of LZ performances and the one most deserving of a final (and dare I say even definitive?) official live release...

I totally agree on everything ... i think the full show doesn't get released because of Roberts voice cracking on numbers... mainly the opener RnR... but still its a great show and as has been said previously if the stones can release la '75 why can't we Zepheads get warts and all shows!!!

• 2 months later...

Have been informed that the publishers Rufus Stone have decided to arbitrarily increase

the 50 special deluxe copies of the book Five glorious nights Led Zeppelin at Earls Court, from 50 to 100! Due to demand! So if there is enough demand at what point does it stop being a limited edition? In my opinion very questionable behaviour,is it even legal? They have broken their contract with the 50 people who ordered

on the understanding that only 50 copies were available worldwide. your thoughts and opinions

would be welcome

Have been informed that the publishers Rufus Stone have decided to arbitrarily increase

the 50 special deluxe copies of the book Five glorious nights Led Zeppelin at Earls Court, from 50 to 100! Due to demand! So if there is enough demand at what point does it stop being a limited edition? In my opinion very questionable behaviour,is it even legal? They have broken their contract with the 50 people who ordered

on the understanding that only 50 copies were available worldwide. your thoughts and opinions

would be welcome

Oh good grief. This is the very definition of 'First World problem'.

Archived