SST

Charles J. White

I had always hoped that Richard Branson would have saved Concorde but it never happened for whatever reason. Such a shame really, that our brothers and sisters in England allowed it to happen, the Queen of the skies showed how great the British really are; 30 seconds in is just bad ass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7Ko2VoKcZI

Both of my older siblings rode the Concorde for business many moons ago. My Sister even made an in-flight call to my parents, which was unheard of at that time. Pretty sure there's still one on display at Wright-Patterson Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio. I walked through it in the 70's.

• 2 months later...

Great plane, best safety record in the industry (the accident was not due to mechanical failure, it was a piece of debris kicked up, destroyed a tire, and debris from the tire punctured the fuel tank causing a fire), and one of the best engineered planes period. The problem was once fuel prices rose, the majority of the elites who flew in this plane decided to just buy their own LearJet instead. Since it only held about 120 people full, $10,000 per ride was no longer cost affective. Also, it was considered too noisy and caused too much pollution, however they had already fixed both those problems AND the fuel consumption issue as well when the accident happened. They never implemented the improvements which would have made it a viable aircraft due to the bad press from the accident. Stupid decision IMO.

Oh well, at least we still have Airport 79' for the memories...

Great plane, best safety record in the industry (the accident was not due to mechanical failure, it was a piece of debris kicked up, destroyed a tire, and debris from the tire punctured the fuel tank causing a fire), and one of the best engineered planes period. The problem was once fuel prices rose, the majority of the elites who flew in this plane decided to just buy their own LearJet instead. Since it only held about 120 people full, $10,000 per ride was no longer cost affective. Also, it was considered too noisy and caused too much pollution, however they had already fixed both those problems AND the fuel consumption issue as well when the accident happened. They never implemented the improvements which would have made it a viable aircraft due to the bad press from the accident. Stupid decision IMO.

Oh well, at least we still have Airport 79' for the memories...

Like I said, she was the Queen of the skies. She still looks sexy today

• 1 year later...

Archived